Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:56 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by wombat42
You say OZ lacks scenery but you said yourself you have never left WA,
The rest of OZ is'nt the same as WA. WA apart from the southern part is mostly desert.
http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/scots.jpg
http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/rug.jpg
Beautiful. I should have said `W.A.` instead of `Oz` though, as that is what I meant. I must admit I didn`t expect to see a pic like that first one though... looks like England.

Believe me, if I had the choice of going anywhere in Oz one of the last places would be W.A..... not necessarily because it`s a bad place to live (obviously there are lot`s of ppl here who love it), but because for me it feels like `been there, done that`, and I think the eastern states would be much more interesting. Unfortunately the parent`s decided on Perth and we want our kids to get to know them before they peg it.

But Wombat, you still haven`t said why you are so anti-britain, or where your heritage is.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:03 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz
Beautiful. I should have said `W.A.` instead of `Oz` though, as that is what I meant. I must admit I didn`t expect to see a pic like that first one though... looks like England.
The first picture was of the countryside at Scotssdale in North/East Tasmania
Tasmania has some of the best scenery in Australia, they say its the state that the countryside most resembles England.

Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I miss not being able to sleep beyond 7am without some git with a petrol lawnmower/hedge trimmer/ leaf blower kicking off. Every morning! Its like they take it in turns

Yes, I know, how dare I want to sleep beyond 7am.

I'm starting to drop to their level. I think the first morning I don't hear a petrol powered anything, I'm going to get up and start the old noisy petrol mover, and chug around for an hour, in the hope that those b****ds are trying to sleep.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:47 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Stormz

But Wombat, you still haven`t said why you are so anti-britain, or where your heritage is.
Maybe Wombat42 has a limited reading and understanding capacity

Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

the only thing I'm going to miss is being so close to Europe and having great places to fly to very cheaply
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:34 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wombat42
You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders. How many people are bitten by snakes or spiders lying down in the grass of their back yard or their local parks in OZ, l would say almost none you would be more likely to be struck by lightning. The other day l was at the Botanic gardens in Melbourne and there were hundreds of people lying in the grass enjoying the sun, they did'nt exactly look terrified of being bitten by snakes or spiders, unless there was a paranoid Pom amongst them.

"Natural Beauty and nature" If you have ever left suburban Perth and traveled all around OZ you will see that it has alot more natural beauty and nature then the Uk.

"History" The UK has more histroy then OZ but is that really so important?

" Weather you can walk in without collapse." In summer you get a few hot days most of the year the weather is cool to mild 15-30c and perfect for outdoors. What about all the freezing cold days in The Uk where you collapse in the cold.

You can actually buy fish and chips and local chip shops in OZ, which many have said is better quality then the UK.
I generally agree with Wombat on this one.

The biggest concern with lying on the grass is ants, some of which are bigger here - but then again you wouldn't want to lie on an ants' nest in the UK.

Oz does have a larger variety of flora, fauna and landscapes - it has natural beauty by the bucket load.

Although Oz does not have a long western history, it is still fascinating, particularly as it is a country that has been formed by "agreement" rather than bloodshed. I think there are some interesting comparisons to be made between the formation of the Australian Commonwealth and what is currently happening in the European Union.

Australia is a large place and you can easily choose the type of weather you want.

Some Fish and Chip shops here are better than the UK, others are worse and vice versa. Wombat’s expression "many have said" just indicates that this comes down to personal taste and opinion.

I'm not sure why Wombat is coming in for such a hard time on this thread. He has only provided an opinion in response to other people's opinions. Isn't that the point of a bulletin board? I'm not sure why his parentage and lineage are relevant - does it matter if his parents are originally (say) British or Irish or German? He is only responding to other people's opinions - there's nothing anti-British in saying "it's not actually like that here, it's actually like this".

On other points, we have daffodils and snow drops in our garden, there are loads of lovely parks in Melbourne and lots of interesting architecture (yes they may be faux or neo but then so if the Bank of England and the Palace of Westminster), the snow is much better than we used to get in London (I know it is different up north) and lots of the birds make beautiful song (most notably, the magpies – it seems to be a general rule that the more beautiful the bird, the less beautiful the song).

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:41 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

The biggest concern with lying on the grass is ants, some of which are bigger here - but then again you wouldn't want to lie on an ants' nest in the UK.

Oz does have a larger variety of flora, fauna and landscapes - it has natural beauty by the bucket load.

Although Oz does not have a long western history, it is still fascinating, particularly as it is a country that has been formed by "agreement" rather than bloodshed. I think there are some interesting comparisons to be made between the formation of the Australian Commonwealth and what is currently happening in the European Union.

Australia is a large place and you can easily choose the type of weather you want.

Some Fish and Chip shops here are better than the UK, others are worse and vice versa. Wombat’s expression "many have said" just indicates that this comes down to personal taste and opinion.

I'm not sure why Wombat is coming in for such a hard time on this thread. He has only provided an opinion in response to other people's opinions. Isn't that the point of a bulletin board? I'm not sure why his parentage and lineage are relevant - does it matter if his parents are originally (say) British or Irish or German? He is only responding to other people's opinions - there's nothing anti-British in saying "it's not actually like that here, it's actually like this".

On other points, we have daffodils and snow drops in our garden, there are loads of lovely parks in Melbourne and lots of interesting architecture (yes they may be faux or neo but then so if the Bank of England and the Palace of Westminster), the snow is much better than we used to get in London (I know it is different up north) and lots of the birds make beautiful song (most notably, the magpies – it seems to be a general rule that the more beautiful the bird, the less beautiful the song).

Regards
Alistair
Alistair you are far too sensible, logical and balanced to be a member of this forum. Please slap yourself around the face immediatley and stop talking sense

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Alistair you are far too sensible, logical and balanced to be a member of this forum. Please slap yourself around the face immediatley and stop talking sense
Ok - sorry
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:00 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

A song from way back.

G
I have to totally agree here. Why don't all of you people wait a while, let's say, 12 months after getting to Oz, then sit back and ask yourselves what you miss about the UK.

You'll be surprised at the simplest of pleasures you now take for granted, will seem like a luxury when it's denied you.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:04 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Ok - sorry
Sorry? Sorry? no Alistair...we don't do sorry either. God you've got a lot to learn

Will you please be argumentative and start a fight with me please

Crikey....we need to give you lessons in Expat Etiquette

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:09 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Just what I was thinking too.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:11 am

Sorry? Sorry? no Alistair...we don't do sorry either. God you've got a lot to learn

Will you please be argumentative and start a fight with me please

Crikey....we need to give you lessons in Expat Etiquette
Opps - sorry... no no I mean ... oh bugger... sorry.

CAN'T YOU READ - I was saying Ok and calling you sorry

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:14 am
Merlot

Regards
Alistair
Hi Alistair

Wombats response was part of a response my original posting.

Family & friends who have known me forever Family gatherings, Birthdays and Christmas. Everything else I can live without but here goes.

Long summer nights
Being able to lie in the grass without fear of spiders or snakes
Natural beauty and nature
History
Weather I can walk in without collapse
The Lake District
Fish & chips from the local chippy

M

This in bold above.

What I get annoyed with is someone coming back with responses giving the impression that I have attacked Australia in someway, where all I said where the things I would miss when I leave the Uk to live in Oz again. There are a few things I miss about Australia but if I listed these would a Pro-UK person get upset and come on raving :scared: For Pete's Sake I am a dual Citizen and enjoy both countries!

Everyone to their own and have their own opinions. Just that if you put out a simple wish list it should not be attacked.

As far as heritage, a simple question to ask. Wombat does not have to say what it is but if he (or she) does not want to respond, they just have to say mind your own. Ignoring is very rude.

My bit for the day.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:14 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by wmoore
Just what I was thinking too.
Come on then Wayne...lets both give him a slap and bring him to his senses.
D'ya wanna go first?

W'anna wet fish to do it?

Now stand still Alistair while Wayne takes aim

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:15 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then Wayne...lets both give him a slap and bring him to his senses.
D'ya wanna go first?

W'anna wet fish to do it?

Now stand still Alistair while Wayne takes aim
<SLAAAAAAAP>!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.