Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:33 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by pako
A lot of people on this forum can't wait to leave the UK for many different reasons. I love my country and am proud to be British. Yes I know its far from perfect but to me there are so many things about being British that I love. Apart from missing my friends and family I will miss so many things. I will miss beautiful old architecture, old phone boxes (not many left i know!), pillar boxes, the London parks, such a wide variety of trees, especially in autumn when everything is so beautiful. I will miss stately homes, foxes and squirrals, I'll miss hearing our local owls at night and blacks birds in the morning. Am I the only one who likes the UK? Will anyone else miss anything?
Family & Friends but not anything else
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

I will miss, sitting in front of an open fire in the winter, having my family just down the road. meeting my friends down the pub once a week, My kickboxing club. small windy country roads.
I suppose its just the same as everyone else, family and friends.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from friends and family I will miss the birds, love hearing blackbirds and robins singing in the garden.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I will miss my mum and sister and the few good friends we have here, but that is just about it. I don't even think I am going to miss the TV (since it dominates our lives completely - no moralising please !). I just cannot wait to board that plane to our new life.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'll miss my nice cheap 2Mb internet connection - and, ermm, that's about it. Vast majority of my family are already out there, my circle of friends are truly global and we've long since learned to keep in touch via the net, and everything else is just rose-tinted bollocks.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:55 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I will miss walking along the prom on a cold crisp winters day when the sun is shining and then home to an open fire, old movie and a big roast with friends. I am sure I will also miss having Europe on the doorstep for weekend breaks. However, I am also looking foward to exploring Aus and the Far East
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:01 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
I also love the UK and I am going to miss lots of things, Like everyone else I am going to miss my family and friends but I will also miss the small things like, the rain (we get plenty of that in Manchester) and Christmas day with your family around you. I dont like the area that I live in but I know I will miss it when I have moved away because it is where I was brought up and have so many memories there. I was at my dads 50th birthday party on Saturday and I just sat there smiling all night. It is not often that all of our family gets together (Uusally a wedding or a funeral) so it was lovely to see everyone again, I enjoyed it more than I would normally enjoy a family party and thats because I know I will be in Oz next year and am going to miss all of my family being together under one roof (sorry to have gone on about it)
I think it just takes time to adjust your life to your new surroundings and I am sure it will all be fine in time.
Like me coming back to the UK to live for a while, been back since March 2004 and still can't stop smiling when I have my family together. We had a family dinner on Saturday night, 16 people who I love and have known me since I was knee high. Those moments I am afraid don't happen when you move away from home and I missed out on them for too many years.

Long live them!

Merlot

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:19 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
I will miss, sitting in front of an open fire in the winter, having my family just down the road. meeting my friends down the pub once a week, My kickboxing club. small windy country roads.
I suppose its just the same as everyone else, family and friends.
If you are moving to TAs, VIC or NSW where most of the population of OZ lives it is cold enough to have a fire in winter. It can get very cold up to -5c in places such as Southern NSW, eastern VIC and TAS and it snows.
For example where l live in Victoria the winter temperature is between 0 -12c
l have an open fire going in the lounge for 4-5 months of the year.
Look at the picture below of winter in Southern NSW, looks cold enough to have an open fire in the house to me. ( click picture to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails What will you miss about the UK?-sn31508.jpg  

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 25th 2005 at 12:02 pm.

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:43 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz

As an Aussie myself, and lived in England for 10 years, I think I have a fair opinion of what is good and bad about both countries. To be fair, I have a much better idea of life in England than Perth, as the last time I was there was in 2000, for a month or so. I also have alot to learn again about life in Oz (hence why I`m on the forum), but I do know about it`s lack of history and scenery that`s for sure.
You say OZ lacks scenery but you said yourself you have never left WA,
The rest of OZ is'nt the same as WA. WA apart from the southern part is mostly desert. If you left WA and traveled around the eastern states you will see that OZ has as much beautiful scenery or even more then the UK. If you were to go to places like the great ocean road in Victoria, Tasmania, The southern NSW highlands there is no way then you would say OZ lacks scenery. Click the scenic photos below.

http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/scots.jpg
http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/rug.jpg

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 25th 2005 at 12:50 pm.

Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Apart from the obvious...family and friends...we miss the old character pubs in the uk, where you can have a drink and a good meal in front of an open fire in a 16th century building. We also miss the proximity to Europe with all its diversity of culture, you get lots of different nationalities in Australia with their traditions but it can not comapre to going to the country itself and seeing the architecture, culture and traditions in their origin.

However that all said we love it here in Perth (have also lived in Melbourne and Sydney) and do not regret the move one second. The out door lifestyle here has been fantastic for the kids and the working life for me is much less pressurised than working back in London which means I get more time with the family and less stress all round!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
If you were to go to places like the great ocean road in Victoria, Tasmania, The southern NSW highlands there is no way then you would say OZ lacks scenery.
As much as I hate to admit it ( :scared: ) I do tend to agree with wombat on this one. Australia is one of the most diverse continents on earth, everything from the wildest rainforest of FNQ, the Great Barrier Reef, the lush green countryside & rolling fields that look like parts of the UK in Tassie, the rocky outcrops & deserts of central australia & everything in between.

Anyone that can say that Australia lacks scenery hasnt seen very much of the country .
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Apart from friends and family I will miss the birds, love hearing blackbirds and robins singing in the garden.
Blackbirds have been introduced, and there are many different types of Robin.

Apart from them, there are also many, many species of bird to delight you - maybe you'll find other favourites.

I miss family and friends, but we keep regularly in touch - and will be having visitors soon - new friends are special too.

Won't miss anything else - well, haven't so far - too much to discover and enjoy here

Cas
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:56 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
As much as I hate to admit it ( :scared: ) I do tend to agree with wombat on this one. Australia is one of the most diverse continents on earth, everything from the wildest rainforest of FNQ, the Great Barrier Reef, the lush green countryside & rolling fields that look like parts of the UK in Tassie, the rocky outcrops & deserts of central australia & everything in between.

Anyone that can say that Australia lacks scenery hasnt seen very much of the country .
Exactly. . .

www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/scots.jpg
www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/rug.jpg

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 25th 2005 at 4:05 pm.

Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Exactly. . .
Shutup you, I told you, it doesnt happen very often .
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Shutup you, I told you, it doesnt happen very often .
Jeeze, whats worse is that i actually agree with both of you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.