Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:46 pm
wombat42

Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Yes, Victoria is officially 'The Garden State' isn't it.
Exactly , beacuse the countryside in green.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:47 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its only Poms that want to live in WA.
Rather a sweeping generalising?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly , beacuse the countryside in green.
But not in Mildura
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:53 pm
Merlot

Its only Poms that want to live in WA in the middle of a hot desert.
Aussies have more sense and live in the eastern states.
Like editing as well! Change your story as it goes on.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:55 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

But not in Mildura
since someone took a shine to paddocks:

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:00 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

What about Tasmania. Also most of Victoria and NSW where the countryside is Green and a cool climate.
I can only talk about where I`ve been (W.A.), which is why I only mentioned it, not where I haven`t been.

Yeah, Tas looks great online. I haven`t been there, but it`s supposed to be beautiful.

So what is your heritage Wombat? Are you..
a) from British stock but have such an inferiority complex you have to down anything british compared to Aus?
b) from other European stock which Britain (and Aus) have beaten in a world war (or two), so are anti-British.
c) just plain ignorant.

As an Aussie myself, and lived in England for 10 years, I think I have a fair opinion of what is good and bad about both countries. To be fair, I have a much better idea of life in England than Perth, as the last time I was there was in 2000, for a month or so. I also have alot to learn again about life in Oz (hence why I`m on the forum), but I do know about it`s lack of history and scenery that`s for sure.

It`s embarrasing for me, who loves both countries, to know that there are ignorant anti-pom`s in Australia, especially ones whose family are originally from Britain themselves. I`m not accusing you of this Wombat, as I don`t know your heritage etc, and you do have some intelligent posts and comments, but you are definitely over-hyping Aus and downing Britain quite unfairly alot, and I don`t know where this bitterness comes from. Gallipoli?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:02 pm
wombat42

My countries alot bigger then yours.
Attached Thumbnails What will you miss about the UK?-comparison-australia-britain.jpg  

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:03 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Stormz
I can only talk about where I`ve been (W.A.), which is why I only mentioned it, not where I haven`t been.

Yeah, Tas looks great online. I haven`t been there, but it`s supposed to be beautiful.

So what is your heritage Wombat? Are you..
a) from British stock but have such an inferiority complex you have to down anything british compared to Aus?
b) from other European stock which Britain (and Aus) have beaten in a world war (or two), so are anti-British.
c) just plain ignorant.

As an Aussie myself, and lived in England for 10 years, I think I have a fair opinion of what is good and bad about both countries. To be fair, I have a much better idea of life in England than Perth, as the last time I was there was in 2000, for a month or so. I also have alot to learn again about life in Oz (hence why I`m on the forum), but I do know about it`s lack of history and scenery that`s for sure.

It`s embarrasing for me, who loves both countries, to know that there are ignorant anti-pom`s in Australia, especially ones whose family are originally from Britain themselves. I`m not accusing you of this Wombat, as I don`t know your heritage etc, and you do have some intelligent posts and comments, but you are definitely over-hyping Aus and downing Britain quite unfairly alot, and I don`t know where this bitterness comes from. Gallipoli?
You'll be waiting a while for that answer.

M

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
since someone took a shine to paddocks:

No, I have to agree. I have spent an awful lot of time up there. The banks of the Murray and immediate proximity are very dense with trees, as you would expect. Lovely. Areas within the Murray irrigation zone are heavily cultivated but without the human factor and away from the river, Mildura would be scrub. Fabulous climate for fruit growing, but drive 20kms away from the river or further up/down the Sturt Highway away from the urbanised zone , it's soon red dust and bush.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:05 pm
Merlot

My countries alot bigger then yours.
The mature answer then Wombat!

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:12 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

No, I have to agree. I have spent an awful lot of time up there. The banks of the Murray and immediate proximity are very dense with trees, as you would expect. Lovely. Areas within the Murray irrigation zone are heavily cultivated but without the human factor and away from the river, Mildura would be scrub. Fabulous climate for fruit growing, but drive 20kms away from the river or further up/down the Sturt Highway away from the urbanised zone , it's soon red dust and bush.
Blue sky, cotton clouds, green bush, red earth. Shopping's better in the urbanized zone but.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Megalania
Blue sky, cotton clouds, green bush, red earth. Shopping's better in the urbanized zone but.
eh?
Follow the thread. I'm only making a point that the place is not as green and lush as southern Vic or Kent (as was the original reference). You make an assumption that I can't live without shops, or that I'm criticising it....so wrong!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:31 pm
Banned

eh?
Follow the thread. I'm only making a point that the place is not as green and lush as southern Vic or Kent (as was the original reference). You make an assumption that I can't live without shops, or that I'm criticising it....so wrong!
Well, the shops manage to get my jingle money, bastards. Just making the point that bare paddock now brown were once green ( - and teasing a bit).
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:12 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
A lot of people on this forum can't wait to leave the UK for many different reasons. I love my country and am proud to be British. Yes I know its far from perfect but to me there are so many things about being British that I love. Apart from missing my friends and family I will miss so many things. I will miss beautiful old architecture, old phone boxes (not many left i know!), pillar boxes, the London parks, such a wide variety of trees, especially in autumn when everything is so beautiful. I will miss stately homes, foxes and squirrals, I'll miss hearing our local owls at night and blacks birds in the morning. Am I the only one who likes the UK? Will anyone else miss anything?

I will miss my new friends that I have made in my 14 months that I have been living in Glasgow. I will miss the regular motorcycle racing telecasts that I get here, its a motorcycle heaven here. I get British superbikes, moto gp and World Superbikes, I got the telecast in Australia, but, they were on at 2:00 in the morning and I did try to tape the races, but, when I sat down to watch it I would find that I have recorded David Letterman or some crap like that. I will miss the old buildings that you see in and around Glasgow. I also like the country side in Scotland,
Things that I wont miss, the coments made to me by my neighbours about my shower singing. I definatly wont miss the stone throwers, Jordan and Peter Andre.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:27 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
A lot of people on this forum can't wait to leave the UK for many different reasons. I love my country and am proud to be British. Yes I know its far from perfect but to me there are so many things about being British that I love. Apart from missing my friends and family I will miss so many things. I will miss beautiful old architecture, old phone boxes (not many left i know!), pillar boxes, the London parks, such a wide variety of trees, especially in autumn when everything is so beautiful. I will miss stately homes, foxes and squirrals, I'll miss hearing our local owls at night and blacks birds in the morning. Am I the only one who likes the UK? Will anyone else miss anything?
I also love the UK and I am going to miss lots of things, Like everyone else I am going to miss my family and friends but I will also miss the small things like, the rain (we get plenty of that in Manchester) and Christmas day with your family around you. I dont like the area that I live in but I know I will miss it when I have moved away because it is where I was brought up and have so many memories there. I was at my dads 50th birthday party on Saturday and I just sat there smiling all night. It is not often that all of our family gets together (Uusally a wedding or a funeral) so it was lovely to see everyone again, I enjoyed it more than I would normally enjoy a family party and thats because I know I will be in Oz next year and am going to miss all of my family being together under one roof (sorry to have gone on about it)
I think it just takes time to adjust your life to your new surroundings and I am sure it will all be fine in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.