Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What visa information to write in my CV?

What visa information to write in my CV?

Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

A.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really nice
Default What visa information to write in my CV?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for my question or "The Barbie" is. Moderators will take care of that anyways.

I'm updating my CV to start posting on recruiters web sites. I want to highlight that I got the visa which I assume will speed things up.

Shall I only write that I'm an Australian Permanent Resident in a noticable place? Or do I need to provide additional info like type of visa, visa number, grant date or initial entry date?

My concern is to draw the employer's attention to my visa status.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What visa information to write in my CV?

To be honest I don't think I'd bother mentioning it. If they ask then tell them you have PR but if you start mentioning it in a Resume it 'could' raise questions that wouldn't normally occur.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MP - I wouldnt raise it as an issue at all. If they ask you then you can tell them.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: What visa information to write in my CV?

Originally Posted by A.I.Hassan
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for my question or "The Barbie" is. Moderators will take care of that anyways.

I'm updating my CV to start posting on recruiters web sites. I want to highlight that I got the visa which I assume will speed things up.

Shall I only write that I'm an Australian Permanent Resident in a noticable place? Or do I need to provide additional info like type of visa, visa number, grant date or initial entry date?

Thanks!

well i put a one line on top higligted in yellow 'Got 175 immigrant visa and Eligible to work in Australia'

but to be honest.. im trying sending so many jobs but people are suggesting that the employer only contacts you once your in australia. so just keeping my fingers crossed.. lets see..

regards,

naufil
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think if outside the country you would need to put on that you have PR. If you are already in Australia, maybe not necessary but I think I probably would, just to make it clear that you do not require sponsorship.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks!
If you are NOT yet in Australia but sending your CV out, make it CLEAR that you have a PR visa; otherwise your CV will go straight into the bin. If you ARE in Australia don't mention it all [although at some point an employer or agent may well ask to see your passport to check there is a visa].

However if you are not in Australia yet do not expect much in the way of replies.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks!
Mentioning VISA number/ even attaching grant letter with CV not going to attract employees anymore while out side oz.

Visa status : Permenant resident is better enough
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have now sent my CV to four places whilst outside Australia and I have put at the top of CV "PR expected in 2 weeks". (which seems optimistic now as still waiting!). Anyway I have had four replies, all the following morning and have had three telephone calls (only from agents wanting to discuss a plan and get firm ideas of my timings but it is something). My husband is in a very niche area but has sent his CV to one place and they also got back to him overnight and want to speak to him.

We are definitely not expecting to secure a job over the phone but we are interested to make some contacts and just find out how the market is and how the land lies. We thought the responses were relatively positive and perhaps things are picking up.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Lots of jobs get secured over the phone here. Quite feasible to get it all sorted before you arrive.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

A.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have now sent my CV to four places whilst outside Australia and I have put at the top of CV "PR expected in 2 weeks". (which seems optimistic now as still waiting!). Anyway I have had four replies, all the following morning and have had three telephone calls (only from agents wanting to discuss a plan and get firm ideas of my timings but it is something). My husband is in a very niche area but has sent his CV to one place and they also got back to him overnight and want to speak to him.

We are definitely not expecting to secure a job over the phone but we are interested to make some contacts and just find out how the market is and how the land lies. We thought the responses were relatively positive and perhaps things are picking up.
Many thanks Bermudashorts and All. Quite useful information, indeed.

In fact, I received different feedbacks in regards to the possibility of finding a job while being offshore. I tend to believe the optimistic ones anyway I think it also depends on the field of occupation.

Any experience whether a two weeks trip could make any difference in finding a job? Or one needs to spend like two months, which isn't usually feasible, to do proper interviews?

By the way, is it Ok to share recruiters names on the forum? Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: What visa information to write in my CV?

Many thanks Bermudashorts and All. Quite useful information, indeed.

In fact, I received different feedbacks in regards to the possibility of finding a job while being offshore. I tend to believe the optimistic ones anyway I think it also depends on the field of occupation.

Any experience whether a two weeks trip could make any difference in finding a job? Or one needs to spend like two months, which isn't usually feasible, to do proper interviews?

By the way, is it Ok to share recruiters names on the forum? Thanks!
i m being optimistic still.. and trying the same . but unfortunately no luck so far. not even a call from any recruiter. i suppose if you ask me i ll be going to stay there for some time till i get a job. may be couple of months or more. there is also going to be a job expo in sydney , u can find the info there

http://www.eocexpo.com.au/

so will try my luck there as well
lets hope.. forthe best

naufil
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

DoubleCabbage will become famous soon enoughDoubleCabbage will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks!
Here's what I have done:
1) Scan resume for keywords: 10 seconds--> Dump or retain.
2) Retained ones: Read quickly through resume: 30 seconds. --> Select or Retain for a few months in my online and offline folder labeled "Resumes".
3) Selected ones: Read address (relocation cost and ease) and other details-->Select for followup or dump in "Resumes" folder.
4) Selected ones: (a) Print resume and circulate to colleagues, or (b) If it is directly under me, call right away. Phone calls only. No phone number- no way, unless the resume is a perfect fit.
5) Chat with applicant for a few minutes, then ask in a monotonous voice 'Are you legally allowed to work in this country". Don't ask if they are citizens or have PR, cos it can be construed as discrimination. Example: recent immigrant asylum case with temporary work permit, Student with legal permission to work, but no work permit in the classical sense...
6) Pass on to HR, and they ask further legal questions.
7) Phone interview.
8) Office interview with several people in the company + HR
9) After feedback, final interview.
10) Didn't care about age, sex, ethnicity or anything. Not even clothing. All we cared was: could you get the job done and make us bucketfulls of money, get along well, stay long, grow, not cause legal headaches...

I give a pass on foreign addresses unless they are a reasonably good fit- too much hassle with the timezones, calling codes, travel for interview, relocation etc. Maybe a mental block

So, in your case, if the company you are applying to has a position that matches your resume perfectly, put the PR status and a "Will start work on 20 April" kind of thing. Else don't send the resume, cause, if it were me, I wouldn't look at a resume sent a second time. If it is a good fit, the name (and keywords) would ring a bell, and I'll go through my file to confirm if I have seen it before. If I have, I'll conclude that there was an issue with it and did not call for interview, and hence will not follow up.

My experience, your mileage may vary. Some parts may not apply to Australia.

Last edited by DoubleCabbage; Dec 2nd 2009 at 5:14 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Nice Info. Almost off/on shore issue cleared by your answer

Karma added
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DoubleCabbage
Here's what I have done:
1) Scan resume for keywords: 10 seconds--> Dump or retain.
2) Retained ones: Read quickly through resume: 30 seconds. --> Select or Retain for a few months in my online and offline folder labeled "Resumes".
3) Selected ones: Read address (relocation cost and ease) and other details-->Select for followup or dump in "Resumes" folder.
4) Selected ones: (a) Print resume and circulate to colleagues, or (b) If it is directly under me, call right away. Phone calls only. No phone number- no way, unless the resume is a perfect fit.
5) Chat with applicant for a few minutes, then ask in a monotonous voice 'Are you legally allowed to work in this country". Don't ask if they are citizens or have PR, cos it can be construed as discrimination. Example: recent immigrant asylum case with temporary work permit, Student with legal permission to work, but no work permit in the classical sense...
6) Pass on to HR, and they ask further legal questions.
7) Phone interview.
8) Office interview with several people in the company + HR
9) After feedback, final interview.
10) Didn't care about age, sex, ethnicity or anything. Not even clothing. All we cared was: could you get the job done and make us bucketfulls of money, get along well, stay long, grow, not cause legal headaches...

I give a pass on foreign addresses unless they are a reasonably good fit- too much hassle with the timezones, calling codes, travel for interview, relocation etc. Maybe a mental block

So, in your case, if the company you are applying to has a position that matches your resume perfectly, put the PR status and a "Will start work on 20 April" kind of thing. Else don't send the resume, cause, if it were me, I wouldn't look at a resume sent a second time. If it is a good fit, the name (and keywords) would ring a bell, and I'll go through my file to confirm if I have seen it before. If I have, I'll conclude that there was an issue with it and did not call for interview, and hence will not follow up.

My experience, your mileage may vary. Some parts may not apply to Australia.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Hi Bermudashorts,

Congratulation for your Visa!

Regarding your reply above, you said you sent your CV to four places. I would like to know if you apply at a specific job ad on certain employer/recruiter web site? Or did you only register to the employer/recruiter job site and click on something like "send me jobs that match my profile" and then you were contacted?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.