Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

Old Mar 30th 2003, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kevmitch
Mandy

Depending on what we can sell our house here for and how the business takes off, I guess we'll be looking around the $600-650,000 range, but not for at least the first 6 to 12 months until we've had a chance to have a good look around and decide where we're finally going to settle.

Thanks for the tips on the various estate agents. I've had a look on Realestate.com. Do the prices shown tend to be 'overstated', 'understated, or about what you actually need to pay - for both rented and purchased property? From an earlier string, I remember somebody saying the rental market around Sydney is awash with properties and they were able to get a (significant) discount on the published price ($400 per week against a listed rent of around $600)

You mention more houses coming into your price range. Does this suggest prices are stable/falling, or just more properties available?

Oh, I'd guessed you meant a station with regard to Pennant Hills, rather than the only 'happening' place!

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev

The prices tend to be understated and vary wildly. I was in Melbourne at the begining of this year and spent 3 full days with 2 different property buying agents to try and build up my knowledge of real estate out there. A property may be advertised as say $500k plus - This may sell for say $570k/ It also depends on which state you are after - 90% of properties in Melbourne go for auction but this is less so in other states. -As usual it is a case of supply and demand.

All the best

Terry
Old Mar 30th 2003, 10:54 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

Originally posted by renth
That does include a couple of visits to Langtrees though

Me pocket money would not go that far , I do wonder who has the money to waste on such places of entertainment and why there are so many in Perth is not the beach enough?

Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by kevmitch
Mandy

Changing the subject slightly, did you find any problem renting - i.e. no previous history in Australia, no Landlord references, etc? It has been suggested we may need to stump up at least six months rent and the deposit upfront - not a problem, but I would prefer to 'pay as we go'. Did you find this?

We're looking to move into a similar house somewhere around St Ives/Hornsby/Kilara/Forestville area from around August onwards - can you recommend any letting agents?

Thanks

Kev
Just a suggestion - about this subject, when we first came to Aus, we did not have any references of course from any previous landlords to rent a house. What we did to get our first rental house here, was to get an Aussie resident (which was our boss at the time) to write a letter of reference for us to give to the landlord.

we just paid 2 weeks in advance, plus the bond (which should be the same amount as 4 weeks rent).

But that's we did anyway , we just got a reference from an Australian. - it depends on the landlord.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 31st 2003 at 5:13 am.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
Just a suggestion - about this subject, when we first came to Aus, we did not have any references of course from any previous landlords to rent a house. What we did to get our first rental house here, was to get an Aussie resident (which was our boss at the time) to write a letter of reference for us to give to the landlord.

we just paid 2 weeks in advance, plus the bond (which should be the same amount as 4 weeks rent).

But that's we did anyway , we just got a reference from an Australian. - it depends on the landlord.

Cheers
Thanks

Its worth a try - better make sure I pick the right Aussie resident!

Kev
Old Mar 31st 2003, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by terryg
Hi Kev

The prices tend to be understated and vary wildly. I was in Melbourne at the begining of this year and spent 3 full days with 2 different property buying agents to try and build up my knowledge of real estate out there. A property may be advertised as say $500k plus - This may sell for say $570k/ It also depends on which state you are after - 90% of properties in Melbourne go for auction but this is less so in other states. -As usual it is a case of supply and demand.

All the best

Terry
I must admit, I would be very nervous about buying anything at auction until I really understood the system - not least as a temp resident, what I would be 'allowed' to buy. To me it seems open to abuse, with phantom bidders, friends of the vendor, greedy estate real agents etc pushing the price up.

In the main do the better properties (quality rather than cost) tend to get auctioned? In the UK its the opposite, the difficult to shift, repossessed or unusual properties tend to get auctioned, the mainstream ones are sold through the price and offer system.

Kev