Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car import restrictions

Car import restrictions

Old Mar 30th 2003, 7:37 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Cool Car import restrictions

I’m confused over car import restrictions to Australia.
I’ve been granted a provisional residency visa (de facto spouse) and we intend to move to Sydney in about 7 months. I was looking to sell my car here and buy in Australia however, could I buy something more fun to take with me.
I’m looking at an older Porsche, approx 8 years old, but do I have to own it for 12months prior to shipping? I’ve worked out shipping charges etc and it just about makes sense.
Anybody have knowledge or information on this?

Make thanks guys,

Dinky
Old Mar 30th 2003, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

You've worked out shipping charges but have you worked out the import duty and GST? It's an absolute killer.

Check out the Australian Customs website. It gives all the details of taxes and ownership requirements.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 2:31 pm

Import duty and GST calculated and marine insurance. Still look good v Australian prices ( autotrader.com.au).
Any views on less than 12 month ownership?

Dinky
Old Mar 30th 2003, 3:35 pm
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

To take the car in as a personal import you must have owned it 12 months prior to shipment. If you havent (and I know someone who tried to ship 3 Lotuses in when they hadnt owned them 12 months) then you'll have all sorts of problems which basically means it isnt worth it.

Remember also that UK spec cars WILL require modification to meet Australian standards - I'd make sure you liaise with Porsche in Aus (if there is such a thing) to check what it necessary.

Best thing you can do is to buy the car and then leave it here until the 12 months is up (bear in mind you must have also used the car abroad for a period of 3 months so don't buy something just before you leave!).

You can only ship one car in under these regulations in any 12 month period too.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I'm confused as I looked at bringing my Mazada 323 from NZ to Oz when I moved here 3 years ago. I'd owned it for 18 months and it cost NZ$16,000.

I was informed the import duty would be 40% of the origional value reducing slightly for each year I'd owned it. I checked with the shipping company and obtained the documents from the AA in NZ that confirmed this. I would have had to pay A$6,500 duty, plus shipping costs, plus registration, professional cleaning to remove all soil and insects, etc.

Needless to say I didn't bother but sold it for NZ$10,500. I cannot believe it's different importing a car from NZ than anywhere else.

I would like to hear from someone who has done it and what duty they had to pay.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:28 am
Moose on the Move

Just been on the phone concerning car imports - you now have to have owned AND used the car for a period of 12 months before you go to Australia (not 3 months) and apparently they do check your passport to make sure!

Duties payable are GST (10%), Car Import Tax (15%) and Luxury Car Tax on any value above A$55,000ish.

Dinky - the new regs mean if you want to bring your Porsche then you'll have to wait 12 months before coming here IF you want to use the Personal Import Scheme (which basically means the vehicle has to go thru far less stringent testing and doesn't necessarily have to comply with all ADRs) else you can bring it in and go through the full testing.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:09 am

Thanks for your help Moosifer.
I have read up a great deal on this and my conclusion is now the same as yours. I can't/won't delay entry so looks like I'm a Pom with cash in his pocket looking for a toy when I arrive!
I know of a couple of Aussie friends who have imported cars (from Asia) and made a profit they set me off on the trail of only owning the car for 3-6 months.
For others looking to do this. The best bets for import are the Euro posh BMW, Audi,Merc (sorry German Posh!) IMHO.

Good luck

Dinky
Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just as surprised as kiwipaul. Before moving to sydney in early 2000, we had a honda civic sedan with low kms. the shipping agent told us the import duties would equate to up to half the current market value of the car. Didn't take long for us to sell the car!

Perhaps they have lowered the import tax? Or a different rule for certain countries?
Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:29 am
Moose on the Move

Dinky - I'm still taking my car in - just going to cry when I hand over the import duties

Was gutted today to find out that the car I wanted to take with me could actually pass the less stringent PIS tests, but I don't have 12 months left to own it. Gutted, as all the ones taken to Aus so far are track toys so I'd have the only one on the road.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 7:32 am

moosifer,

Could you let me know where I can get info on the full testing process?
Mine will be a Porsche 968 Sport (i.e. a club sport with air con plus rear seats) unique to the UK and an ideal track/road car.
Still temped........

Dinky
Old Mar 31st 2003, 9:41 am
Moose on the Move

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...Document&Area=[Online+Information+%26+Services]

This is for Victoria, no idea about other states I'm afraid!

If you're going on track then see you there