Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What sort of wages can I expect?

What sort of wages can I expect?

Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question What sort of wages can I expect?

Hi everyone I am planning on going to either Geelong or the Melbourne Suburbs can anyone let me know what sort of wage I can expect to earn. I am a Sheetmetalworker,
I also have engineering Quals but I am applying through my trade.

Any Ideas anyone?
Old Oct 24th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sort of wages can I expect?

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi everyone I am planning on going to either Geelong or the Melbourne Suburbs can anyone let me know what sort of wage I can expect to earn. I am a Sheetmetalworker,
I also have engineering Quals but I am applying through my trade.

Any Ideas anyone?

Another Question wouldn't mind feedback on?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:38 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dicko
Another Question wouldn't mind feedback on?
Try this for a guide
http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/HomePage/HomePage.asp
Sean
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:04 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at a website called Hays.com.au - they have a salary survey which should cover what you are looking for - also they seem to be one of the few websites that show the wage on the adverts.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great site for wages and employment prospects in all the major professions in Australia ..

www.jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/AlphaSearch.asp

Cheers
Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
This is a great site for wages and employment prospects in all the major professions in Australia ..

www.jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/AlphaSearch.asp

Cheers
Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com

Thanks Steven,

The site looks helpful. I take it you cannot apply for anything until you have your visa?

Does anyone have any experience on how employers/ agencies treat applications from migrants not yet in Australia? Is there any point in applying for jobs before you arrive?

Any info would be appreciated,
Hazel.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:55 am
dex
Forum Regular

dex is an unknown quantity at this point

Not just until you have your visa, but until you are physically in the country.

Even if you have PR and a confirmed date of arrival in Australia, they won't consider you seriously till you actually get there. Quite infuriating at times, but thats the way it works.

I guess there's just too many local applicants, so they dont bother with people who aren't in the country.

Also, remember most of the jobs up for grabs are URGENT, IMMEDIATE, REQUIRED YESTERDAY kind of jobs.

So you're going to have to be bold and get there before you can find anything - unless of course, you have some very specialized in-demand skills.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hazel

Must agree with Dex's comments. Employers usually advertise positions because they need them filled now. However generally a number of advertisements for the same occupation shows a general trend of a shortage of those skills in that region. So a polite request for the company to keep your details on file until you arrive would not do any harm.

Cheers
Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:10 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Rudy
The site looks helpful. I take it you cannot apply for anything until you have your visa?
Does anyone have any experience on how employers/ agencies treat applications from migrants not yet in Australia? Is there any point in applying for jobs before you arrive?
Any info would be appreciated,
Hazel.
Hi Hazel

I got my job while in the UK - got in touch with a gazillion Oz agencies, sent them all my CV, then chased by email on a regular basis to keep me in their minds. A job came up, I did the two interviews over the phone (0630 UK time!) and was asked how long before I could get there. I said '2 weeks' and they said 'do it'. Got out here, and had to find accommodation straight away, because the company needed an Oz address (residential, not work) for me so that they could apply for my 457 visa. I got an address within a week, and the visa took another 3 weeks to come through. In the meantime I couldn't work (against the law).
When the visa arrived, I could then officially earn money, and two weeks after that got my first paycheck.

It was close!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies!

I thought as much, most of the jobs that I have seen advertised on the various Oz jobs website seem to say that only Oz residents with the right to work need apply. I just wondered if it was worth starting to look seriously at jobs advertised once we have a confirmed arrival date. At this moment in time just knowing what stage our visa processing was at would be nice!

Hazel