Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What sort of spider is camping outside my house?

What sort of spider is camping outside my house?

Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sort of spider is camping outside my house?

Originally Posted by 2foot
Hi all,

We have a lodger, well a free-loader! If we got charged rent by weight, I think it would pay more than my wife!

Anyway its quite cute but seems bigger than many huntsmen also here!

What is it????

J and G

www.widdi.co.uk

OMG!!! not seen one like that GROSS!!

Sue x
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:28 am
Banned

2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future

Redbacks have long ugly webs.

They usually hide under nooks and crannies -

Be very careful with those campsite powerpoints - I had 3 crawl up my arm in 6 months!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:27 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We have a lodger, well a free-loader! If we got charged rent by weight, I think it would pay more than my wife!

What is it???? :
J and G

www.widdi.co.uk
I am so scared of spiders i really think i am insane to want to go to Perth ...

Please can someone tell me how to deal with one when you see it......I would be inclined to bash it with a shovel ......but i would hate to clean the shovel afterwards

Would a pet help keep them at bay or is there house fumigating thingies that we can plug in.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:16 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mctree
Hey, the website says you can spot them driving vehicles :scared:
LOL!! No hand signals!

right turn clyde!!!
Sonic x
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: What sort of spider is camping outside my house?

I do hate all creepy crawlies and really worried about what to do when I arrive in Australia, until I worked out what to do!
Every second day at work I find a picture and description of a really creepy spider on the net (or on this site of course - I have already mailed the picture of the orb spider to myself at work), I then print it out in colour and hang it on my notice board right in front of me. Th his way I get used to looking at the spiders and the plan is that I will be completely de-sensitized by the time we get to Aus and see them for the real. That's the plan anyway, I am not sure if it will work, at the moment all it does is giving me bad dreams and freaking out my colleagues! But I won't give up, and will let you all know if it works!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:47 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: What sort of spider is camping outside my house?

Hi all,

What is it????

J and G

www.widdi.co.uk
Ooo I've got one of those!! My neighbour tells me it is an orb weaver. Have you seen them making their web...it's fascinating!! I spy on ours at night when he's weaving...it's an education I tell ya!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Issie

Please can someone tell me how to deal with one when you see it......I would be inclined to bash it with a shovel ......but i would hate to clean the shovel afterwards

Would a pet help keep them at bay or is there house fumigating thingies that we can plug in.

Of course the OP may justb have a very very small hand
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:56 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrispy
Of course the OP may justb have a very very small hand
Is the OP Jeremy Beadle??
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:11 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie

Oh sod that ... i'd throw the flippin shovel away !!!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MummyKarin
I do hate all creepy crawlies and really worried about what to do when I arrive in Australia, until I worked out what to do!
Every second day at work I find a picture and description of a really creepy spider on the net (or on this site of course - I have already mailed the picture of the orb spider to myself at work), I then print it out in colour and hang it on my notice board right in front of me. Th his way I get used to looking at the spiders and the plan is that I will be completely de-sensitized by the time we get to Aus and see them for the real. That's the plan anyway, I am not sure if it will work, at the moment all it does is giving me bad dreams and freaking out my colleagues! But I won't give up, and will let you all know if it works!

hey good idea! i am printing that pic out now. Spiders dont really worry me too much but need some intensive de sensitising for the kids LOL
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:29 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Threre-are-none-like-that-in-south-australia

D D
This is IMHO the worst STH AUST spider they like to get in the filter box of the pool, and when you reach in to get the leaves out they escape by running up yer ARM .......................... mm
Attached Thumbnails What sort of spider is camping outside my house?-fishing-2007-032.jpg  
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:23 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Is the OP Jeremy Beadle??

Sooooooooo funny

FWIW I have yet to see a big spider in Perth,..........................
....................but I'm sure its only a matter of time
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:37 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Do I assume that they do not appear in QLD?
You can assume that if you like, but you would be wrong

We get them (or at least some other type of orb spider) here. I do not mind them really, except when I am on the ride on mower and go between a fence and a tree and find myself going through the web. By the time I feel the web across my face it is usually too late to stop and on a couple of occasions the spider has ended up on my head

To be honest, I am not sure who ends up more surprised I usually just reach up and get them to climb onto my hand and put them back on the remains of their web. If I see them in time, I either duck under the web (if I can) or gently break the lower portion till I can get through. Spiders eat flies and mossies - I know which I would rather have in and around my house.

I will try and take some pics sometime, to help with everyone's therapy.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:07 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
You can assume that if you like, but you would be wrong

We get them (or at least some other type of orb spider) here. I do not mind them really, except when I am on the ride on mower and go between a fence and a tree and find myself going through the web. By the time I feel the web across my face it is usually too late to stop and on a couple of occasions the spider has ended up on my head

To be honest, I am not sure who ends up more surprised I usually just reach up and get them to climb onto my hand and put them back on the remains of their web. If I see them in time, I either duck under the web (if I can) or gently break the lower portion till I can get through. Spiders eat flies and mossies - I know which I would rather have in and around my house.

I will try and take some pics sometime, to help with everyone's therapy.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Oh you see ... now thats just completely killed any ideas i had of trying out a ride on mower !! I'd be running round the garden hitting my head like a complete loon and the ride on mower would have driven half way round the garden on its own, mown down the boundry fence and be on its way to the neighbours pool before i'd be anywhere near to being calm !!!

M J