Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should we do?

What should we do?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

didds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should we do?

I have got a sponsered job with an International Company in Melbourne, We have had 457 visas since Sept 04. I am still unsure about the cost of living having read a lot of threads, the Job is paying $40K and my wife will look for work as a medical secretary, but not sure how soon she would get a job. We don't have much savings and don't have a house to sell, I am at the point of do we go or stay, I am 42 my wife 45, 1 grown up daughter not wishing to go.
We will be renting in Sunbury , I think, as my job is in Campbellfield. Any help would be grateful.
Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should we do?

Originally Posted by didds
I have got a sponsered job with an International Company in Melbourne, We have had 457 visas since Sept 04. I am still unsure about the cost of living having read a lot of threads, the Job is paying $40K and my wife will look for work as a medical secretary, but not sure how soon she would get a job. We don't have much savings and don't have a house to sell, I am at the point of do we go or stay, I am 42 my wife 45, 1 grown up daughter not wishing to go.
We will be renting in Sunbury , I think, as my job is in Campbellfield. Any help would be grateful.
Thanks
Are your employers going to sponsor for permanent residence? If not, why not?

And have you any other route to PR, eg general skilled points tested?

Make yourselves very familiar with the risks and issues of the 457 visa:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Also be aware that once you turn 45, getting PR on skill grounds becomes much harder.

AUD40k doesn't sound like a spectacular salary for Melbourne and as you have a 457 visa, you won't be able to change employers. What's your occupation?

Jeremy
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

didds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are your employers going to sponsor for permanent residence? If not, why not?

And have you any other route to PR, eg general skilled points tested?

Make yourselves very familiar with the risks and issues of the 457 visa:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Also be aware that once you turn 45, getting PR on skill grounds becomes much harder.

AUD40k doesn't sound like a spectacular salary for Melbourne and as you have a 457 visa, you won't be able to change employers. What's your occupation?

Jeremy
Sponsers will sponser for permanent residence, I have read the 457 visa threads so I know most things at the moment.
My ocupation here in the UK is workshop controller for a truck firm, but they are offering me a service reception position at the moment, which is a downgrade in salary, I don't know how easy it is to advance in Aus. I am also a fully qualified truck technician ( mechanic)
Thanks for your reply
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I don't think the cost of living in Oz is that much different from the UK - some things are a bit cheaper but some thngs a lot more expensive. Trouble is, everyone's different in their needs so it's difficult to compare.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didds
Sponsers will sponser for permanent residence, I have read the 457 visa threads so I know most things at the moment.
My ocupation here in the UK is workshop controller for a truck firm, but they are offering me a service reception position at the moment, which is a downgrade in salary, I don't know how easy it is to advance in Aus. I am also a fully qualified truck technician ( mechanic)
Thanks for your reply
It's worth checking before you leave that the criteria for employer nominated PR will be met as this can sometimes be tricky.

Jeremy