Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I be scared of ?

What should I be scared of ?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default What should I be scared of ?

I'm talking snakes, spiders and other biting/stinging/poisionous things

Heading for SE QLD next week with 3 small boys who are very curious about wildlife.

Don't know which things are the ones I should know about - if that makes sense!

Ta

Safin
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I be scared of ?

Estate agents: be *very* afraid <g>
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Politicians....
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

djamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant future

Generally, you're going to have to go a LONG way out of your way to find the sort of things that you list.

Be more worried about what's in the sea than what's miles away from where you're likely to live on land.

I'm a celebrity is a TV programme, dramatised to capture ratings.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:24 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by djamesburgess
Generally, you're going to have to go a LONG way out of your way to find the sort of things that you list.

Be more worried about what's in the sea than what's miles away from where you're likely to live on land.

I'm a celebrity is a TV programme, dramatised to capture ratings.
I have found most of the listed nasties in my house yard (and I don't live THAT far from the urban sprawl, 60 minutes from Brisbane CBD) ... redbacks, snakes, big fat hairy spiders the size of your hand.

On the other hand we also have possums, wild ducks, cockatoos, lorikeets, tree frogs, cane toads (I quite like em ...) and all manner of crazy critters.

It's all a balance innit? On the up-side I have developed a tolerance for most spiders where previously I hated the things.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

You'll just have to keep a close eye on the kids - I live about 10 minutes from CBD and have seen snakes (only two in ten years tho) huge spiders etc but apart from redbacks, they all seem okay!! The worst thing for me is the mozzies - make sure the children wear insect repellant because they can be really nasty sometimes.

Enjoy Hervey Bay
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The sun is pretty dangerous.

G
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin

Heading for SE QLD next week with 3 small boys who are very curious about wildlife.

Ta

Safin
It's all about education. If they are curious about these things then get some books and inform them of the things to look out for that are dangerous and what they have to do if they see them (which they might not)

Here's a site to get you started: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/

Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:51 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Not seen any snakes yet here in Tassie but seen a big bloody ant stompping along and afraid of nothing. And i guy i know just got nibbled on his toes by an inchman/bulldog ant. And yes the inchman is rightly named, it's a bigun. Bluebottles are the ones to look for too they say here but not seen one. They get huntsman spiders here too but not seen one yet, sounds cute. I wouldn't worry too much if at all.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's all about education. If they are curious about these things then get some books and inform them of the things to look out for that are dangerous and what they have to do if they see them (which they might not)

Here's a site to get you started: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/

Great site Wendy

Thanks everyone - you've all got a point. Guess what I really wanted to know is which ones we MUST know about from the get go just in case we're the unlucky ones that meet them. eg is is just the redback?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Great site Wendy

Thanks everyone - you've all got a point. Guess what I really wanted to know is which ones we MUST know about from the get go just in case we're the unlucky ones that meet them. eg is is just the redback?
From what I have read on this site the things to be most scared of are people wearing shoes and normal clothes to go shopping

Good luck in your new life down under in SE Queensland
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:55 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ta

Safin
If its colourful its deadly. Apart from the Brown Snake, which is boringly coloured, but excitingly lethal

Real Estate Agents

Drop Bears and Yowies...

Bunderbergians

anyone from Woodridge, with missing teeth and a tatoo of BATSARD on their forehead
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:05 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
If its colourful its deadly. Apart from the Brown Snake, which is boringly coloured, but excitingly lethal

Real Estate Agents

Drop Bears and Yowies...

Bunderbergians

anyone from Woodridge, with missing teeth and a tatoo of BATSARD on their forehead
and nerangatangs
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
and nerangatangs
fpmsl, and some big fat bassard , screaming WE'LL SAVE YA ! ( Aussie Credit Card )
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:45 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
From what I have read on this site the things to be most scared of are people wearing shoes and normal clothes to go shopping

Good luck in your new life down under in SE Queensland

TMRE!

pmsl - spot on! ...he says after taking his kids shopping in their jamas last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.