Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the point of Ebay Australia?

What is the point of Ebay Australia?

Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the point of Ebay Australia?

Originally Posted by denzil73
Strongly disagree as think I said that even 3 years ago when the pound was stronger I could still buy cheaper overseas and from the UK. Also, just got back from a year in Europe and for the UK the COL is better than Oz at present in many many areas save for housing, which is similar to Oz tho Oz is getting retardly bad for house prices. I have no interest in buying here cos its so expensive.

I wouldn't of posted this unless I had a good grounding to say it
I wasn't disagreeing with the ability to buy some things cheaper by buying O/S, or even discussing it. I thought I made it clear that I was referring to your specific example which I presume was using the current exchange which distorts the example some what.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

I buy most things from Amazon US. I use a forwarding company. Large box costs c$300 to ship. Stuff includes rechargeable batteries, scooters, razors, clothing, shoes, tools, toys, vitamins, umbrellas, drinking bottles etc. etc. Everything is cheaper (Elmo toy US:$37, Aus $120, Nerf gun set US:$32, Aus $80, Scooter US$68, Aus$120)
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Probably depends what you use it for. We have bought some quality solid wood secondhand furniture and a retro sofa for next to nothing Also do well selling the girls clothes on there.
Same as us. Some of the quality wood furniture we've bought have been an absolute steal!

And if I sell my kids clothes that are from the UK, I can make a small fortune compared to what I paid for them.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not everyone.... Postal 24hour super center coming your way soon... They are converting Preston Delivery center right now.... should be ready in July. I believe Mount Waverly and the CBD are up and running now .... not advertised yet though.

You order on the net and it gets delivered to your local super center and picked up 24/7. Or you can have it delivered within regular working hours... which misses a lot of people.
Any plans for one further out, say Narre Warren - or at a push Dandenong?
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Aus Post is expecting parcels volume to go off the richter scale. They are also gearing up for much larger deliveries like sofas and Washing machines etc. Me thinks they have actually got something right at last
Not convinced about larger things via a 24 hour centre that you mention like sofas and washing machines, as you can usually arrange a particular date for those things to be delivered.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Any plans for one further out, say Narre Warren - or at a push Dandenong?

I'll find out.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 6:22 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's good for second hand stuff.
Agree, Ebay Australia is great for second hand items. I've bought some terrific bargains.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Re this particular example, the pound has dropped a lot so it seems cheaper when converting into a strong aussie dollar but when taking wages into account not as different as it seems for a local in each country buying it.
This isn't like the COL argument - the exchange rate and average wages are irrelevant. If something costs $100 in one shop and $200 in another the first is a damn sight cheaper! (Substitute "country" for "shop")
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hello all,

I am just sitting here looking for a few things and wondering why Ebay Australia actually exists?

The reasoning behind this? Well, of the times I've actually bought from an Oz seller has to be in the 10% range cos almost everything else I can buy and ship cheaper from HK, Singapore, Japan or UK.

Wanted a Haynes manual for a Scooby. $40 inc P&P from the UK and $70 inc P&P from Oz. Even if the exchange rate was what it was 3 years ago I'd still have some $15.

What is it with Oz pricing cos it ain't the shipping cos so much production comes from Taiwan, China or Japan these days and they're a shed load closer to Oz than Europe!!! What gives!!!!
So you're talking about something written and printed in the UK being cheaper in the UK that in Australia? And the other fella talking about Jeep parts made in the USA being cheaper in the USA?

The words no shi!t sherlock spring to mind...
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
So you're talking about something written and printed in the UK being cheaper in the UK that in Australia? And the other fella talking about Jeep parts made in the USA being cheaper in the USA?

The point is that it is still cheaper to buy those items from UK/US and import (P&P included) that it is to buy them on sale here.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was just those 2 examples you would have a point but from experience it applies to things made in Japan or Asia or many other countries. The point seems to be the difference is WAY more than just shipping costs.

Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Oz cars are generally only slightly different from Europe or USA so the workshop manual will do you for pretty much all repairs. Also, you make sure the engine in your car is covered by the manual before buying. Twice the price for less than 5% change in maintenance methodology does NOT equate to twice the price.

I also mentioned Haynes as they are world wide and vastly superior to Gregorys manuals.

And some 2nd hand stuff ain't badly priced but for electrical, electronic and car parts that I search for they aren't. I tried looking for t-shirts and trousers but they cost the same as the shops unless you find a Thai or Singapore seller.

Last edited by denzil73; Mar 31st 2012 at 12:07 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The Aussie product, new, is not generally cheaper. However I've picked up loads of antique books for a dollar and then been happy to pay 4-8 dollars postage.

I've noticed books in Australia that haven't been listed or available in the Uk for years.

There is a huge secondhand market which Ebay meets happily. I've got motorbikes, prams, 12 man tents, you name it Squire.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The Aussie product, new, is not generally cheaper. However I've picked up loads of antique books for a dollar and then been happy to pay 4-8 dollars postage.

I've noticed books in Australia that haven't been listed or available in the Uk for years.

There is a huge secondhand market which Ebay meets happily. I've got motorbikes, prams, 12 man tents, you name it Squire.
Hmm, fair do's there fella. Just doesn't hit the spot for my interests then. Not to say I'm happy about that situation tho
Old Apr 1st 2012, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, fair do's there fella. Just doesn't hit the spot for my interests then. Not to say I'm happy about that situation tho
That's ok.