British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What is the point of Ebay Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-point-ebay-australia-753269/)

denzil73 Mar 30th 2012 2:18 pm

What is the point of Ebay Australia?

Hello all,

I am just sitting here looking for a few things and wondering why Ebay Australia actually exists?

The reasoning behind this? Well, of the times I've actually bought from an Oz seller has to be in the 10% range cos almost everything else I can buy and ship cheaper from HK, Singapore, Japan or UK.

Wanted a Haynes manual for a Scooby. $40 inc P&P from the UK and $70 inc P&P from Oz. Even if the exchange rate was what it was 3 years ago I'd still have some $15.

What is it with Oz pricing cos it ain't the shipping cos so much production comes from Taiwan, China or Japan these days and they're a shed load closer to Oz than Europe!!! What gives!!!!

Butterfly Bokeh Mar 30th 2012 4:24 pm

Re: What is the point of Ebay Australia?

Originally Posted by denzil73 (Post 9980251)
Hello all,

I am just sitting here looking for a few things and wondering why Ebay Australia actually exists?

The reasoning behind this? Well, of the times I've actually bought from an Oz seller has to be in the 10% range cos almost everything else I can buy and ship cheaper from HK, Singapore, Japan or UK.

Wanted a Haynes manual for a Scooby. $40 inc P&P from the UK and $70 inc P&P from Oz. Even if the exchange rate was what it was 3 years ago I'd still have some $15.

What is it with Oz pricing cos it ain't the shipping cos so much production comes from Taiwan, China or Japan these days and they're a shed load closer to Oz than Europe!!! What gives!!!!

I wondered if this was going to be a trick question ?
:( disappointing as we've used Ebay in the UK for various things in the last few years :( is it just generally bad?

denzil73 Mar 30th 2012 4:35 pm

Basically YES!!! People come up with the excuse of supply and demand and yes companies are there to make money but when UK guy can EBay an 3M spray painters mask for $30 and the Oz one was closer to $50 with less in the package it does make me wonder.
Was looking at PCMCIA WiFi cards and $50 here but $25 inc P&P from HK.

You can import upto $1000 without duty in most cases as a private individual.

Clothing like say a billabong t-shirt, after paying for P&P may as well go to the shops.

I'm not saying everything is more expensive here but when you compare it sure is and COL is very similar between the 2 countries.

Makes you think!!!

Buzzy--Bee Mar 30th 2012 7:26 pm

It's not just Ebay mate. I buy all the parts I need for my Jeep and boat from the USA. It's about half the price than it is locally, even including shipping. And delivery only takes about 3 weeks.

This is going to bite Australia big time soon I think as all the money goes offshore.

BB

ozzieeagle Mar 30th 2012 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9980843)
It's not just Ebay mate. I buy all the parts I need for my Jeep and boat from the USA. It's about half the price than it is locally, even including shipping. And delivery only takes about 3 weeks.

This is going to bite Australia big time soon I think as all the money goes offshore.

BB

Not everyone.... Postal 24hour super center coming your way soon... They are converting Preston Delivery center right now.... should be ready in July. I believe Mount Waverly and the CBD are up and running now .... not advertised yet though.

You order on the net and it gets delivered to your local super center and picked up 24/7. Or you can have it delivered within regular working hours... which misses a lot of people.

Aus Post is expecting parcels volume to go off the richter scale. They are also gearing up for much larger deliveries like sofas and Washing machines etc. Me thinks they have actually got something right at last. EG ... you'll be able to get Bing Lee (Sydney electrical discounter and probably the cheapest in Aus) prices and delivery in Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane the next day. Could change the face of Australian retail. Also means everyone will be able to avoid Post Office queues for parcel pick up as these centers will be specifically parcel and mail pick up only.

BTW It's going to be fun when it starts to happen because they've got no staff allocated to run it ...yet. I think it may come down to us Night sorters and we are at least 50pct down on staff....Lots of confusion at AP in high end management. They thought they were getting rid of all night staff last year. Long story but health and safety stopped (Couple of posties got permanently maimed in bike accidents around the country on initial roll out.. typical post office behaviour) separate bundle delivery which totally stuffed the so called revolutionary mail delivery plans that they had invested millions in. Comes down to you cant ride a motor bike and sort letters at the same time... even if it is only from two bundles.

Ebay Aus = mostly for 2nd hand local goods. Places like Coastal Bamboo (flooring suppliers) and PC Case Gear are a lot cheaper than retail outlets on there. Furniture can be cheaper as well... so it's not totally useless.

Alfresco Mar 30th 2012 10:16 pm

It's good for second hand stuff.

chris955 Mar 30th 2012 10:21 pm

Its a bit like walking around Bunnings, is there anything Australian in there? :D

fish.01 Mar 30th 2012 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by denzil73 (Post 9980509)
Basically YES!!! People come up with the excuse of supply and demand and yes companies are there to make money but when UK guy can EBay an 3M spray painters mask for $30 and the Oz one was closer to $50 with less in the package it does make me wonder.

Re this particular example, the pound has dropped a lot so it seems cheaper when converting into a strong aussie dollar but when taking wages into account not as different as it seems for a local in each country buying it.

Alisclar Mar 30th 2012 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by denzil73 (Post 9980251)
Hello all,

Drop me a mail if there's anything you need help with on the Scooby, worked and tuned them since '99 :rofl:

The Crow Mar 31st 2012 12:47 am

Probably depends what you use it for. We have bought some quality solid wood secondhand furniture and a retro sofa for next to nothing :) Also do well selling the girls clothes on there.

DeadVim Mar 31st 2012 1:31 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9981185)
Its a bit like walking around Bunnings, is there anything Australian in there? :D

The sausage sizzle? Even that is of dubious heritage ...

denzil73 Mar 31st 2012 1:39 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9981216)
Re this particular example, the pound has dropped a lot so it seems cheaper when converting into a strong aussie dollar but when taking wages into account not as different as it seems for a local in each country buying it.

Strongly disagree as think I said that even 3 years ago when the pound was stronger I could still buy cheaper overseas and from the UK. Also, just got back from a year in Europe and for the UK the COL is better than Oz at present in many many areas save for housing, which is similar to Oz tho Oz is getting retardly bad for house prices. I have no interest in buying here cos its so expensive.

I wouldn't of posted this unless I had a good grounding to say it :D

denzil73 Mar 31st 2012 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Alisclar (Post 9981227)
Drop me a mail if there's anything you need help with on the Scooby, worked and tuned them since '99 :rofl:

I'll keep that in mind. It's an EJ22 with TY752 box going in the back of a VW Beetle :)

chris955 Mar 31st 2012 2:27 am

We used to buy stuff from the UK and the US many years ago and even with an exchange rate closer to 2:1 and above it was still cheaper to do it for many things.

Originally Posted by denzil73 (Post 9981348)
Strongly disagree as think I said that even 3 years ago when the pound was stronger I could still buy cheaper overseas and from the UK. Also, just got back from a year in Europe and for the UK the COL is better than Oz at present in many many areas save for housing, which is similar to Oz tho Oz is getting retardly bad for house prices. I have no interest in buying here cos its so expensive.

I wouldn't of posted this unless I had a good grounding to say it :D

harrip Mar 31st 2012 2:53 am

Ebay Australia is fine, I get stuff from there now and again and the UK site. That said, getting more impressed with Gumtree for buying stuff locally.