Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Part of Australia?

What Part of Australia?

Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

hanboem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Part of Australia?

I am looking at the idea of moving to Australia with my children once I have got more experience working as a children's nurse. Not into quiet living in the countryside, but neither city living, so maybe a nice suburb of a town/city somewhere that isnt over priced.

Weather wise, I dont really mind (afterall we will be coming from the UK so it's unlikely to be worse!) but the place with the least bugs and critters would be the winner for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions please as to where I could start looking location wise?

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Part of Australia?

If you haven't already, you probably should make yourself familiar with the visa process before you go too far with the where to live question.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:02 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hanboem
I am looking at the idea of moving to Australia with my children once I have got more experience working as a children's nurse. Not into quiet living in the countryside,
So basically scratch anything other than the cities, and maybe the major towns.

but neither city living, so maybe a nice suburb of a town/city somewhere that isnt over priced.
So forget Perth.

Weather wise, I dont really mind (afterall we will be coming from the UK so it's unlikely to be worse!)
scratch Hobart, Canberra

but the place with the least bugs and critters would be the winner for me.
It is Australia, remember?
scratch Brisbane and points north, and probably even Sydney

Does anyone have any suggestions please as to where I could start looking location wise?

Thanks
Well, you've kind of narrowed it down to Melbourne, Adelaide, and Sydney at a push. Just like the original English settlers.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
If you haven't already, you probably should make yourself familiar with the visa process before you go too far with the where to live question.
Indeed, got to actually get in first, and get a job - which probably will determine your location to a greater degree.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go where you can get a job. Nowhere really ticks ALL your boxes so find a job and work from there.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at the idea of moving to Australia with my children once I have got more experience working as a children's nurse. Not into quiet living in the countryside, but neither city living, so maybe a nice suburb of a town/city somewhere that isnt over priced.

Weather wise, I dont really mind (afterall we will be coming from the UK so it's unlikely to be worse!) but the place with the least bugs and critters would be the winner for me.

Thanks
It's not so stupid a question as it sounds.
But look at job prospects, size of cities - you can live in nice country burbs in many cities...house prices and climate.

eg S - colder winters. Melboure and Hobart - greyer in winter too.

W/E/N sunnier (warmer) in winter, certainly.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your definition of "worse" really .......... cyclones, tornadoes, devastating floods, bushfires, heatwaves.....and there was frost on the ground in Brisbane when I left work this morning!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Weather wise, I dont really mind (afterall we will be coming from the UK so it's unlikely to be worse!)

Thanks
Dont be too sure. In some parts of the country, it is very humid which can be unbearable if you're not accustomed to it. Last year, the 2nd wettest year in the UK for quite some time saw a total rainfall of 1330mm which wasnt that far ahead of Sydney at 1213mm, and recently my cousin, who lives 90 minutes outside of Wollongong posted photos of snow.............. There are a lot of reasons to move to Australia, and there are a lot of reasons to NOT move to Australia, the weather is not either of these...... Do your research and use the visa wizard.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Bear in mind that Australia is not "structured" the same way as UK. Most people live in suburbs surrounding the major cities. Towns (not all) can become quite remote and parochial and could be a culture shock.

I think you should give more thought to the weather, Australia's climate is far more punishing than the UK weather and many people would not be able to tolerate the humidity of Queensland or NT for example.

You are going to get critters, this is Australia.

The primary factor has to be availability of work for both of you.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

In answer to the OP question, Melbourne weather is more Mediterranean, I have been here a year and seen a few but not many critters!! Nothing to send me running to the airport!!
There is a great infrastructure in the suburbs and some feel more country than others.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Bear in mind that Australia is not "structured" the same way as UK. Most people live in suburbs surrounding the major cities. Towns (not all) can become quite remote and parochial and could be a culture shock.
Australia is very homegenised, in my humble opinion. There is a city culture, a suburban culture, and a country culture.

There are points where these cultures intersect - either on the suburban interface literally! (with commutes or visits to the city) or because some people can move amongst those cultures quite happily.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Australia is very homegenised, in my humble opinion. There is a city culture, a suburban culture, and a country culture.

There are points where these cultures intersect - either on the suburban interface literally! (with commutes or visits to the city) or because some people can move amongst those cultures quite happily.
Ok I will bite. What on earth does that mean? Because I am definitely an intelligent person but I have read that four times now and I have not the faintest idea what message you are trying to communicate. Campaign for real English lives on.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ok I will bite. What on earth does that mean? Because I am definitely an intelligent person but I have read that four times now and I have not the faintest idea what message you are trying to communicate. Campaign for real English lives on.
Mate, I'll spell it out tomorrow.
I even targetted at you thinking you would get it.

Great minds think alike etc.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I had to go to a firecall so I am up.

Homogenised = same. So it might be that people living in country/city/suburbia share a similar culture. (People often criticise it).
I thought you would get this point as you mentioned the 'structure' of Australian society and I thought it was you who contributed to my update thread where I last brought this up.

There are people in the country who have no idea or indeed, interest in how city people live, likewise the suburbs. Life can be very different. Matter of personal taste.

Moving on: we live in the 'country' on the edge of Melbourne. It's often called semi-rural. In some circles, people talk about the suburban/rural interface (or similar). (It's a bit of a headache for town planners, eg do we upgrade rural fire stations as the areas turn to more urban areas....) So it looks country, but adjoins the suburbs, yet we can visit and commute to the city.
Got that?

In other words, in this instance, we can have access to all cultures, despite the fact Australia is so structured and geared for city/country/suburbia....

..There are also people who live in the city, but also enjoy and own property in the country - they share the two cultures.

Got that?

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 18th 2013 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:59 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Australia currently has a population of 23 million. Of these, 62% live in the five major mainland capitals with a further 9% in the next five cities (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong) and 5% in the next 10. The remaining 24% are scattered across the vast area of the country in towns of between 20 and 20,000+ in size, with long distances between towns.

Most immigrants head for one of the five majors initially, and which one you go for will depend on what sort of work you do and the current job market. People will try to sell you their favourite one (usually the one they live in!) but it doesn't really make much difference. Anywhere outside the top 20 (and even the top 10) will definitely be a culture shock to anyone used to the compactness of the UK.