what next....?

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice
Default what next....?

Good morning from the Gold Coast.
We arrived last week in a holiday apartment on the Gold Coast. So far all we have done is sorted out our bank account, I feel we should be doing more, but we have no permanent address at the moment (only our temp 2 week holiday address).
Hopefully it will all start rolling in to place, home, TFN, jobs etc etc.
Our shipment is delayed at the moment, god knows why, but should have arrived last Thursday plus time for customs etc, but think it's going to be a couple of weeks yet

If anyone can give us a quick guide of what we should be doing next it would be appreciated
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Hostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant futureHostess with the Mostess has a brilliant future
Default Re: what next....?

Driving license - nearest dept of transport
Medicare - prob nearest large shopping centre
Schools? dont know if you have kids
Tax file number (TFN) can do on line or if in the city pop in to Adelaide street.
Look for a rental!!
Look at cars
Get a mobile phone each
join local library - useful for internet and asking questions
chill out and drink wine.

Take passports and visas, birth certs, uk drivers license and your current rental contract with you everywhere in a folder (or holiday rental receipt). Then you are not back and forth all the while.

Directory enquiries 1223

Hostess
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
Good morning from the Gold Coast.
We arrived last week in a holiday apartment on the Gold Coast. So far all we have done is sorted out our bank account, I feel we should be doing more, but we have no permanent address at the moment (only our temp 2 week holiday address).
Hopefully it will all start rolling in to place, home, TFN, jobs etc etc.
Our shipment is delayed at the moment, god knows why, but should have arrived last Thursday plus time for customs etc, but think it's going to be a couple of weeks yet

If anyone can give us a quick guide of what we should be doing next it would be appreciated
In my first few days I registered for medicare and applied for my TFN. I used the address of the serviced apartment I was staying in for both. The TFN takes a couple of weeks to come through so if you start work and get paid before you get the TFN they will deduct a lot of tax (although you would eventually get it back of course).

We also started looking for a house to rent and a car.

We changed our driving licences over last week but if I had had the time I would have done that in first week or so too (I had to start work more or less straightaway so didn't get to it).

I am very curious as to what you would have done with your shipment had it arrived on time and you don't have a permanent address. Sounds like the delay is a blessing..?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

There are some things that need to be done of course. I rushed about like a looney when I first got here (thought I was still the UK). Do TRY if you can, to enjoy the moment. Things have a habit of working out, if you let them.

Enjoy.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:19 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
There are some things that need to be done of course. I rushed about like a looney when I first got here (thought I was still the UK). Do TRY if you can, to enjoy the moment. Things have a habit of working out, if you let them.

Enjoy.
you could try more wines to see which ones you like.