Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne CBD apartment hotel advice

Melbourne CBD apartment hotel advice

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Default Melbourne CBD apartment hotel advice

Hi All,

We are living in Perth and going to Melbourne for a 5 day trip with our 3 yr old. Not having been here I am trying to find appropriate self catering accommodation. I have narrowed it down and would like advice from any Melbournians.

Punthill Little Bourke St
Quest Docklands
Alto on Bourke (it has rave reviews on tripadvisor)

Look forward to some advice,
Lisa
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:47 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne CBD apartment hotel advice

Hey Lisa,

Don't know any of them personally - it all depends on what you want to do in Melbourne. The ones in the city would be closer to supermarkets. The Docklands one would be close to lots of restaurants and there is now an ice rink there. There are a couple of smaller supermarkets at the Docklands, and also CostCo, though that's members only, and Harbourtown, which is discounted shopping. I think there are also a few child friendly activities there as well. To get to the rest of the city, it's a short tram ride. It does have the advantage that its fairly quiet though.

Of the two in the city, I'd probably go for the Alto. There's a big Coles just up from Southern Cross/ Spencer Street Station and the shuttles go from there to the airport. Someone might be along soon to disagree, but Russell Street didn't have a good reputation a while back, but I don't know what it's like now. Just might not be a pleasant place to be at night. It is right by Chinatown and some really good restaurants though, and not far from central shopping district.

Hope that helps some.