Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a minefield .... don't know where to begin !!!

What a minefield .... don't know where to begin !!!

Old May 11th 2005, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

dazby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What a minefield .... don't know where to begin !!!

Hi there .... please excuse me if I should be posting this 'somewhere' else on this site ... but this is my first time on and im a novice to all this ... so please be gentle

My partner and I have been out to visit his brother & family again in Wellington Point (Brisbane) ... and yet again we fell in love with your beautiful country. This time on our return we decided to look into the possibilities of emigrating. After making a few phone calls and doing some web research .... we came up with the answer of NO !!!!

Can anyone help ??

Our first option was a possible visa via family. Steve (my partners brother) & his family have only been in Oz for 12 months tho - he was sponsored by his employer and has a 'needed' skill/occupation. We understand at present he cannot sponor us, and if/when the time comes about it would be difficult for me to be sponsored as he is my partners brother, not mine, and as Chris and I are same sex couple tis would make it difficult for me ??

Option 2 - skilled migration. My occupation is travel agent ... not in need in OZ .... Chris is an Unsurance Underwriter .... and whilst Insurance Broker is on the needed list .... it needs to be at Diploma/Degree level .... so there went that idea !!!!

Option 3 - Student Visa !!! This one seems to be a bit of a mine-field. Both of us would be more than happy and willing to retrain in a 'needed' industry but don't know where to begin in our search ??

It's times like this that I wish we could go and talk to somebody 'face to face' as opposed to agents over the telephone (some of whom show no interest at all).

It's ironic really .... living in the UK .... we seem to have an endless stream of people coming into the country with little or no skills nd yet they still seem able to stay here.

Australia has one of the best immigration policies I have come across and they appear to be very very choosey as to who they grant visa's to ....

.... which is a VERY GOOD thing for Australia .... but not for 'little ole us2' who simply want to move to your beautiful country .... work .... invest .... and live a happy life !!!!

Can anybody help
Old May 11th 2005, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What a minefield .... don't know where to begin !!!

Hi dazby

I cant help but I know a few men who can - contact one of the agents recommended on this site - George Lombard, Alan of Go Matilda, Jeremy to name a few - who come highly recommended.

I would also post your message on the Immigration site as more likely to get a response.

all the best

atticus