Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What makes people give up UK life?

What makes people give up UK life?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:47 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice
Default Re: What makes people give up UK life?

Just seems kinda strange to see someone who has been there and didn't like it to continue contributing.

I would understand if you were in the 'back in the uk' forum.

Some denial going on there me thinks.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by danjones1
Just seems kinda strange to see someone who has been there and didn't like it to continue contributing.

Are you for real

You're the strange one on here me thinks. I do post back in the UK forum all the time, just as much as i post on alot of other forums.

So let me get this right, only people who live and like OZ can post on here??

Some daft folk about.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:39 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Have to wonder why you still post on expat forums.
When you have posted on here for a while you make friends with people and get to enjoy the banter. There's no need for anyone to stop posting just because they're no longer an expat.
Nu-shooz has been on here a long time and woulkd be missed
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:14 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Seems voyeuristic to me.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Location: Montreal but soon-26th Sept- Brisbane...June '10 been here since Sept..
Anthea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greenlaker
Hello all.

OH has an interview week after next, we fly to Adelaide on Thursday, have arranged for the children to be looked after by a friend so we can go alone and do a recci, have so much planned!

Anyway word has now spread through my circle of friends that we are going, phone hasn't stopped, friends and mmmm so called friends wanted to know what we are up to... most people I have to say have been positive and I have had offers already from people wanting the cars, cat, dog, few items of furniture and for the house to be rented out!! I did feel a bit like my life was being pecked at by vultures!! OH hasn't got the job yet!!

Anyway, most people have been very supportive, but a few have been saying, 'Oh your so brave', 'I couldn't do that', 'Why are you going?' 'Why would you want to give up your life?' etc etc Then it dawned on me, actually I do have a nice life here, we both work locally, 2 cars, children happy and doing well at school, nice circle of friends, house nearly completely refurbished/decorated and we have some savings, we are not rich by any means, but we have a comfortable life, we are careful with our money don't go out that much, normal mad hectic life with 2 children a cat and dog but we are all happy.

So my questions is 'Why' do we all want to give up our 'ok' lives and put ourselves through the nightmare and stress of Visa's and packing up our lives to move half way round the world? We still have to go to work and pay the bills and do the dishes and laundry and we all have bad days and the children will still be arguing, but does it makes it easier to deal with because the sun is shinning?

For me and OH it's simple because we can, we had a thought, we had a dream, we had a vision, and hopefully we will get that chance, we want to experience something different, something outside our box, something that we can say we have achieved rather than being just normal. At least we can say we tryed, even if it doesn't work out we tryed. And to those doubters that have never failed they are normally the ones that have never tryed.

Sorry for such a long post and if i've bored the pants off you, just needed to get this off my chest, and to ask other like minded people 'Why are you going to Australia?'

Thanks
Hi,

We left the Uk 5 years ago to come to Canada, and in 2 weeks time are leaving to start a new life in Brisbane. What we found is that it takes a year or so to settle down, and then you will find out if it is the life for you. My daughter and I are really happy here, but the OH isnt, and so when a good job opportunity came up we decided to go for it.
Life is what you make it, wherever you are...we did miss family and friends, but we also made a lot of new friends and built up a support system in our community.
Whatever you decide, make the best of it....my family and friends are still doing the same old same old as when we left.....life is more exciting if you take opportunities when they arise!! Good luck!!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hey, i hope that's toffee popcorn, can't stand the salty sh*t.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
You think that's only be happening recently?

I left the UK cos life was crap. Somebody fitted me with rose tinted glasses while i was asleep one night about 5 years in and eventually went back. I left again cos it was even crappier.
Nope, not recently. I've been here a while now.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Another lets bash the UK thread in order to justify a bad decision and make ourselves feel better about moving to the other side of the world.
The majority of expats migrate and settle in Australia and so therefore it doesn't seem a bad decision to them. There are two sides to every coin and tolerance of both points of view enables us to learn from others experiences.

To many of us here the decision was not a bad one, quite the reverse and to discuss in a thread the reasons that people give up their life in the UK for Australia are basic propositions to the idea that we should leave.

That in itself will lead to some dissatisfaction with the UK in many cases. That's why most of us are on here. Whether someone found contentment in Australia is another point entirely.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

I left Ireland because I wanted to try something new. I love travelling. My husband is Australian so it made sense to come and settle down here. 5 years in and I have to admit that if my Mum was still alive (she passed away when I was 15) I probably wouldn't be here. I don't get on with my Dad and my 3 brothers are scattered to the winds. I have great friends at home in Ireland and I miss it so much some days it makes me depressed.

But now we have a little girl and another on the way I can't see us moving back to Ireland any time soon. Husband hates the weather there!

And that's why I gave up live at home! Not because I hated the weather or the health system or overcrowding or anything like that!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by willamos
Not persuaded by this weather thing everyone keeps up with. I don't think terribly, unbearably hot summers are better than cold winters.
I agree, I would hate terribly, unbearably hot summers too. So I think it is important to make sure you select an area that doesn't get them. That way you get the best of both worlds and no really icy cold weather.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Not at all!

The Commonwealth of Australia was born and it became a dominion of the British Empire in 1907.

I think some folk still believe Australia is part of Britain's empire!
It should be noted that Australia had very strong ties to Britain, even after 1901, and especially until 1948.

eg:
Australian citizenship was first introduced in 1949 with the enactment of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948.

Prior to 1949, most Australian residents were actually British subjects.

The 1948 Australian Citizenship Act defined the term "alien" as "not a British subject, an Irish citizen or a protected person".
Even those British who arrived in the 1970's, but who have never taken Australian Citizenship, are still treated as citizens rather than Permanent residents.

However, you are correct when you say: "some folk still believe Australia is part of Britain's empire"... I just came across this quote on the net ... "England does still semi-control Canada and Australia"

Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Are you for real

You're the strange one on here me thinks. I do post back in the UK forum all the time, just as much as i post on alot of other forums.

So let me get this right, only people who live and like OZ can post on here??

Some daft folk about.
Interesting though that the same accusation is made about people who claim to like Australia yet seem to spend alot of time online. The accusations fly whatever your stance.

At the end of the day we are now connected and can check our favourite boards at any time of day, as we are passing through on the way to the kitchen etc, from a wireless notebook on the deck, from a mobile. Some people work with computers and break regularly whilst doing so.

10 years ago I would have laughed if you had told me about the popularity and ready availability of online boards and forums as distinct from the old newsnet groups. BE is good because there is a wide range of opinion, experience on living in a country. Loadsa things come up.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
"some folk still believe Australia is part of Britain's empire"... I just came across this quote on the net ... "England does still semi-control Canada and Australia"
Indeed it does.

But it has been a while since the last time the Governor General sacked an Australian government.....but not that long ago
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's great to hear from people like Nu Shooz. It can be reassuring to hear from people that have come over given it a go, and then successfully picked up back in the UK. Especially when they give such balanced views.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.