British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What makes people give up UK life? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-makes-people-give-up-uk-life-629299/)

greenlaker Sep 5th 2009 5:09 pm

What makes people give up UK life?

Hello all.

OH has an interview week after next, we fly to Adelaide on Thursday, have arranged for the children to be looked after by a friend so we can go alone and do a recci, have so much planned!

Anyway word has now spread through my circle of friends that we are going, phone hasn't stopped, friends and mmmm so called friends wanted to know what we are up to... most people I have to say have been positive and I have had offers already from people wanting the cars, cat, dog, few items of furniture and for the house to be rented out!! I did feel a bit like my life was being pecked at by vultures!! OH hasn't got the job yet!!

Anyway, most people have been very supportive, but a few have been saying, 'Oh your so brave', 'I couldn't do that', 'Why are you going?' 'Why would you want to give up your life?' etc etc Then it dawned on me, actually I do have a nice life here, we both work locally, 2 cars, children happy and doing well at school, nice circle of friends, house nearly completely refurbished/decorated and we have some savings, we are not rich by any means, but we have a comfortable life, we are careful with our money don't go out that much, normal mad hectic life with 2 children a cat and dog but we are all happy.

So my questions is 'Why' do we all want to give up our 'ok' lives and put ourselves through the nightmare and stress of Visa's and packing up our lives to move half way round the world? We still have to go to work and pay the bills and do the dishes and laundry and we all have bad days and the children will still be arguing, but does it makes it easier to deal with because the sun is shinning?

For me and OH it's simple because we can, we had a thought, we had a dream, we had a vision, and hopefully we will get that chance, we want to experience something different, something outside our box, something that we can say we have achieved rather than being just normal. At least we can say we tryed, even if it doesn't work out we tryed. And to those doubters that have never failed they are normally the ones that have never tryed.

Sorry for such a long post and if i've bored the pants off you, just needed to get this off my chest, and to ask other like minded people 'Why are you going to Australia?'

Nu-Shooz Sep 5th 2009 5:21 pm

Re: What makes people give up UK life?

Us UK folk are never happy i guess. We always think the grass is greener.
We go cause we can, if it works out...cool!!! if it doesn't then so be it.

All the best and have a great adventure.

JCSUPERMOTO Sep 5th 2009 5:44 pm

That could have been written by me Greenlaker:thumbsup:

Lifes 1 great big adventure!
And also the world is a big place,so why just live in one country:cool:

perthhopeful Sep 5th 2009 6:30 pm

that could have been written by me too!

good luck with your trip and let us know how you get on xx

Beachband Sep 5th 2009 9:31 pm

You only life once, I think some people don't realise this!!
So, win, lose or draw, at least we can all say - - WE TRIED, WE LIVED, WE EXPERIENCED.

Its all chapters for the book, your book of life.

He who dares Rodney, He who dares :)

Dreamy Sep 5th 2009 10:30 pm

We had a good life in the UK. But Himself was offered a job in Australia and we didn't want to spend the next 50 years of our lives wondering 'what if?'

My father worked in the Steel Industry, had the chance to emigrate to Australia in the 70s and didn't go because of opposition from my grandparents - my parents have always regretted it and I didn't want to do the same.

We loved our life in the UK, we love our life here in Australia. Different things naff me off about both places, but ultimately, we're all happy here and have no plans at the moment to return to Britain.

ABCDiamond Sep 6th 2009 3:56 am

My Granddad felt that he had a good life, he worked for one company from 15 to 65, went to Blackpool every year for the annual break, and lived in one town all his life.

I felt like being different..... :)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Sep 6th 2009 6:02 am

Originally Posted by greenlaker (Post 7907300)
Hello all.

OH has an interview week after next, we fly to Adelaide on Thursday, have arranged for the children to be looked after by a friend so we can go alone and do a recci, have so much planned!

Anyway word has now spread through my circle of friends that we are going, phone hasn't stopped, friends and mmmm so called friends wanted to know what we are up to... most people I have to say have been positive and I have had offers already from people wanting the cars, cat, dog, few items of furniture and for the house to be rented out!! I did feel a bit like my life was being pecked at by vultures!! OH hasn't got the job yet!!

Anyway, most people have been very supportive, but a few have been saying, 'Oh your so brave', 'I couldn't do that', 'Why are you going?' 'Why would you want to give up your life?' etc etc Then it dawned on me, actually I do have a nice life here, we both work locally, 2 cars, children happy and doing well at school, nice circle of friends, house nearly completely refurbished/decorated and we have some savings, we are not rich by any means, but we have a comfortable life, we are careful with our money don't go out that much, normal mad hectic life with 2 children a cat and dog but we are all happy.

So my questions is 'Why' do we all want to give up our 'ok' lives and put ourselves through the nightmare and stress of Visa's and packing up our lives to move half way round the world? We still have to go to work and pay the bills and do the dishes and laundry and we all have bad days and the children will still be arguing, but does it makes it easier to deal with because the sun is shinning?

For me and OH it's simple because we can, we had a thought, we had a dream, we had a vision, and hopefully we will get that chance, we want to experience something different, something outside our box, something that we can say we have achieved rather than being just normal. At least we can say we tryed, even if it doesn't work out we tryed. And to those doubters that have never failed they are normally the ones that have never tryed.

Sorry for such a long post and if i've bored the pants off you, just needed to get this off my chest, and to ask other like minded people 'Why are you going to Australia?'

Just a word of caution.

We were in almost exactly the same position, a very comfortable suburban life. I was offered a transfer to Oz and we jumped at the idea... I mean what's the worse that could happen?.. you don't like it, you just go home again.

Well the worse that could happen was that we detested it... and "just going home again" would have been financial suicide. So we stuck it out, circumstances changed, things got better and our outlook changed. There are still days after close to four years where my wife would return home at the drop of a hat... but these are few and far between now, and I never really think about going home anymore.

Just doing it "because we can" could turn out to be hugely painful, and very costly, experience. Think long and hard about what you are giving up before making the decision to move.

Interesting to note that I still call the UK home.

stuckinblighty Sep 6th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by greenlaker (Post 7907300)

Dont do it then,its the same shit here.

quoll Sep 6th 2009 7:15 am

Dunno but if it aint broke then dont fix it. OTOH if you get an offer not to be refused then dont refuse it. But dont burn any bridges either (what a load of cliches huh). Life was meant to be a series of adventures but just make sure that you dont get stuck in a place you dont want to be at the end of it all. It's easy to say you can go back if you dont like it but reality sometimes bites a whole lot harder than that and families break up because half of them want one thing and the other half doesnt.

The sunshine isnt a universal panacea unfortunately - many Aussies spend more time inside than you would think because it is too hot, too fly ridden, too enervating to go outside away from the aircon in summer and winters can be nippy especially with the wind coming straight off the South Pole.

greenlaker Sep 6th 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 7908266)
Dont do it then,its the same shit here.

Yep... Same life stuff to deal with where ever you live... But that's exactly my point, Why do people give up perfectly ok lives to move other side of world? I'm not looking for someone to say 'Yes go it will ok!' then when it isn't I can blame someone! I'm just curious to see the reasons behind what makes people have this urge or desire they want to pack up and move to pastures new... as none of my friends understand it! Like I said just wanted to speak with like minded people.

Donna&Neil Sep 6th 2009 7:25 am

Hi we 'did it' because we were at the stage in our lives where we wanted a change. Never expected it to be ' utopia' & just as well cause it ain't. We came with the mentally, lets give it a go & if it doesn't work for us then its been a wee bit of an adventure. Nothing's forever & you only get one shot.....so why not???

Donna

stuckinblighty Sep 6th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by greenlaker (Post 7908286)
Yep... Same life stuff to deal with where ever you live... But that's exactly my point, Why do people give up perfectly ok lives to move other side of world? I'm not looking for someone to say 'Yes go it will ok!' then when it isn't I can blame someone! I'm just curious to see the reasons behind what makes people have this urge or desire they want to pack up and move to pastures new... as none of my friends understand it! Like I said just wanted to speak with like minded people.

I moved because i was bored in the UK,fancied a change,because i had the chance,wanted to live in a different country,fancied a bit of sun for a change,thought that Aus would be a better country for the kids to grow up in.
Its the same shit here and quite often the bucket isnt as shiney as the UK version.
Everyone is different,everyones got their own tale to tell therefore it doesnt really bare any relevence to other expats im afraid.

mohogony Sep 6th 2009 7:51 am

If you can afford to move back to the UK and have the same standard of living as before if it does'nt work out then go for it, but if the cost of it all if you want to move back to the UK would financialy ruin you then think twice.

Zambia Sep 6th 2009 8:09 am

Ask me after the summer ....

Last summer I was far to tied up with getting a Job and finding a place to live.

In the end the only opinion that counts is you and your OH.