Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What makes people give up UK life?

What makes people give up UK life?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:02 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes people give up UK life?

Originally Posted by kporte
I prefer the weather here, but Scotland generally has poorer weather than down south. I love the QLD climate.
Just find it curious the way humans seem conditioned to prefer being in terrible heat that makes the footpath as hot as a frying pan to being in cold, frosty weather.

I fail to see why one is any better than the other. Both infringe upon one's freedom to do as one pleases, both are, at their worst, bad for your health.

Why is hot automatically better than cold?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos
Just find it curious the way humans seem conditioned to prefer being in terrible heat that makes the footpath as hot as a frying pan to being in cold, frosty weather.

I fail to see why one is any better than the other. Both infringe upon one's freedom to do as one pleases, both are, at their worst, bad for your health.

The individual really. No matter how hot it gets I'm out. Did a 30km cycle ride in 32 deg last weekend and it was glorious. If it was raining I wouldn't have left the house.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by willamos

Depends on the person doesn't it. I prefer cooler temps (esp now i have witnessed the extreme heat).
My skin is better in the cooler temps and i feel healthier, but in the sun i was physically drained and my skin was terrible.
On the other hand someone would thrieve in the sunshine and love being hot!

Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

paul.joanne.fraser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have just moved over to the Western suburb of Sydney.. The best move we have made so far in our life.

Both boys started primary school this week with the oldest going to secondary after the new year. Everyone here has been so good, in fact the first weekend we were here was fathers day, we were invited by our next door to attend a bbq at his sisters.... only just moved in,,, thats how life is here... would not change a thing..

all the best in your decisions...

Paul and Jo

Originally Posted by greenlaker
Hello all.

OH has an interview week after next, we fly to Adelaide on Thursday, have arranged for the children to be looked after by a friend so we can go alone and do a recci, have so much planned!

Anyway word has now spread through my circle of friends that we are going, phone hasn't stopped, friends and mmmm so called friends wanted to know what we are up to... most people I have to say have been positive and I have had offers already from people wanting the cars, cat, dog, few items of furniture and for the house to be rented out!! I did feel a bit like my life was being pecked at by vultures!! OH hasn't got the job yet!!

Anyway, most people have been very supportive, but a few have been saying, 'Oh your so brave', 'I couldn't do that', 'Why are you going?' 'Why would you want to give up your life?' etc etc Then it dawned on me, actually I do have a nice life here, we both work locally, 2 cars, children happy and doing well at school, nice circle of friends, house nearly completely refurbished/decorated and we have some savings, we are not rich by any means, but we have a comfortable life, we are careful with our money don't go out that much, normal mad hectic life with 2 children a cat and dog but we are all happy.

So my questions is 'Why' do we all want to give up our 'ok' lives and put ourselves through the nightmare and stress of Visa's and packing up our lives to move half way round the world? We still have to go to work and pay the bills and do the dishes and laundry and we all have bad days and the children will still be arguing, but does it makes it easier to deal with because the sun is shinning?

For me and OH it's simple because we can, we had a thought, we had a dream, we had a vision, and hopefully we will get that chance, we want to experience something different, something outside our box, something that we can say we have achieved rather than being just normal. At least we can say we tryed, even if it doesn't work out we tryed. And to those doubters that have never failed they are normally the ones that have never tryed.

Sorry for such a long post and if i've bored the pants off you, just needed to get this off my chest, and to ask other like minded people 'Why are you going to Australia?'

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:08 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Another lets bash the UK thread in order to justify a bad decision and make ourselves feel better about moving to the other side of the world.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
Another lets bash the UK thread in order to justify a bad decision and make ourselves feel better about moving to the other side of the world.

I don't get that impression from most of the posts on this thread. Most of them are personal experience posts and seem quite genuine.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

lethal is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't a bash UK-thread. Settle down, i think some people can't handle other people enjoying something they don't have themselves.

Australia, Was a overseas terrritory till when 40 years ago? or it was either a colony of britain either way it has strong links with britain.

My family migrated to Australia in 1960's, from England, I decided to move to London at the start of this year and i love it no plans on going back anytime soon, i'm 19 and want to see the history that makes me proud of what my family contributed to this country(fighting in WW2 etc). It makes me proud really.

Deciding whether to move from one to the other, is really a personal choice and a lifestyle choice of the individual.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:20 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Australia, Was a overseas terrritory till when 40 years ago? or it was either a colony of britain either way it has strong links with britain.
Not at all!

The Commonwealth of Australia was born and it became a dominion of the British Empire in 1907.

I think some folk still believe Australia is part of Britain's empire!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think some folk still believe Australia is part of Britain's empire!
It still has a governor General appointed by the British / Australian queen
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

SheilaClare is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a good life in the UK and came here at the end of 2008 because we had the opportunity and thought why not it will be an experience and we'll never know till WE go, but did come thinking this was us forever. After 9 months of being here have decided that although we love the life style have decided we will probably be going home at the end of the year as just don't feel right here and luckly are in a position that we can go home without setting ourselves back too much. We are glad we came as we would always of wonder what if and we are going back with a better attitude to life. We did think about staying another year or two but I knew I didn't want to be here long term so don't want kids to settle more or I would feel like I couldn't take them back and then I'd be stuck her which scared me.
I think what I'm trying to say in my woffle is, try if you can to have a get home card BUT also come and give it your all for a set amount of time (probably longer than me) and see how you do, if you love it great, if not if was an adventure in your life.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by paul.joanne.fraser
Hi,

I have just moved over to the Western suburb of Sydney.. The best move we have made so far in our life.

Both boys started primary school this week with the oldest going to secondary after the new year. Everyone here has been so good, in fact the first weekend we were here was fathers day, we were invited by our next door to attend a bbq at his sisters.... only just moved in,,, thats how life is here... would not change a thing..

all the best in your decisions...

Paul and Jo

don't think you read the question!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Depends on the person doesn't it. I prefer cooler temps (esp now i have witnessed the extreme heat).
My skin is better in the cooler temps and i feel healthier, but in the sun i was physically drained and my skin was terrible.
On the other hand someone would thrieve in the sunshine and love being hot!

Are you happy to be back - honestly? Not a leading or sarcastic question - I'm having a I-want-to-go-back period at the minute. I'm pretty certain it will pass but I think I'd like to go back at some point over the next few years. The trouble is I'm very much a grass-is-greener type and I'm convinced that within a year of going back I'll feel trapped and need to be off again - dragging the family yet again to some far flung corner of the world and upsetting the extended family.
I'm always wary of the "UK is fantastic I'm just so glad to be back from that awful Australia" - just as much as the Brit who starts talking Aussie the minute his feet touch the tarmac in Sydney. But I am intersted in the genuine feelings of returnees.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Are you happy to be back - honestly? Not a leading or sarcastic question - I'm having a I-want-to-go-back period at the minute. I'm pretty certain it will pass but I think I'd like to go back at some point over the next few years. The trouble is I'm very much a grass-is-greener type and I'm convinced that within a year of going back I'll feel trapped and need to be off again - dragging the family yet again to some far flung corner of the world and upsetting the extended family.
I'm always wary of the "UK is fantastic I'm just so glad to be back from that awful Australia" - just as much as the Brit who starts talking Aussie the minute his feet touch the tarmac in Sydney. But I am intersted in the genuine feelings of returnees.
I never really wanted to emigrate in the first place. But i was brain washed into thinking we would be better off, morgage free, more money and just happier. God knows why i fell for all that crap lol.
Anyway we went and i saw. Def should have trusted my instinct.

Now we are back i have never thought of my time in OZ, i sit here and feel relieved that all that stuff is all in the past and i can continue where i left.
OH and kids are all happy too, suppose it does help that we landed straight back on our feet, business taken off in a way out of our control which we never expected. Had it been different maybe i would be writing something more negative.
Can't help but feel happy, so i know for sure it was a mistake to leave what we had. Never make that mistake again no matter how dull it gets
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:57 pm
Banned

Have to wonder why you still post on expat forums.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Have to wonder why you still post on expat forums.
Why shouldn't i or anyone who has emigrated, thinking of emigrating, moved back to UK..not post on expats forums...eh...come on then, let us all know , you seem to have all the answers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.