Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what are the main benefits for children in Oz over Uk? apart from obvious weather!!

what are the main benefits for children in Oz over Uk? apart from obvious weather!!

Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default what are the main benefits for children in Oz over Uk? apart from obvious weather!!

Whenever i mention to people that we are going to apply to emigrate to Perth many people ask, what does Oz really offer especially for children over the Uk?

Apart from the obvious weather, fir those of you who have made the move and have children what are your opinions?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are the main benefits for children in Oz over Uk? apart from obvious weather

I can only speak from our own personal experience, our kids were born in Brisbane and love being here in England, they dont do anything here they didnt do in Australia to be fair or vice versa. The weather isnt necessarily a benefit, that depends on the individual, where you are from and where you go. We have found life to be pretty much the same, our boys arent sporty so dont spend much time outside and didnt in Australia. Others of course will tell you their kids are at the beach surfing everyday but the majority of kids will be much the same wherever they are.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are the main benefits for children in Oz over Uk? apart from obvious weather

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Whenever i mention to people that we are going to apply to emigrate to Perth many people ask, what does Oz really offer especially for children over the Uk?

Apart from the obvious weather, fir those of you who have made the move and have children what are your opinions?

Thanks
The weather isn't necessarily a bonus - many days are too hot for kids to play outside, something people often don't realise until they get here.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The weather isn't necessarily a bonus - many days are too hot for kids to play outside, something people often don't realise until they get here.
Our kids often wouldnt want to play outside because it was too hot or indeed too wet.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Nothing in particular. And like the others have said, I wouldn't necessarily say the weather is a bonus. It's been in the very high 30's with UV indexes in the extreme (14+) range for the past week. We had a couple of weeks of 40+ over the holidays. Definitely not weather for kids to go out and play in. Oh, and winters in Perth are wet and windy and surprisingly cold! The cold comment coming from someone who was born, raised and spent over 40 years in Canada.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have often wondered this. Cant see it myself in most cases.

Education doesnt seem any better, no extended family, isolated from other cultures, climate not necessarily better - My neighnours kids have all been house bound a lot recently due to the hot weather and parents not wanting them to become one of the 40% while family in the UK, in the "bad weather" were out building snowmen.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:51 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

my question is: why perth?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I do have to say that mine are a lot more active here than they ever were back in Canada. Even on the 40C days, we're out in the playgrounds either 8am or just after dinner when the sun is setting and it's cooling down. On -30C days back in Canada, there was no point in the day where it suddenly warmed up to say -5C and made being out there for an hour or so fun. We hibernated, plain and simple during cold snaps. Even during the heat here, we still manage to go outdoors.

Autumn and spring, we're outdoors all the time. Winter...we manage, dodging the squalls and lashing rain.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 4th 2013 at 7:01 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing in particular but once they have finished uni they aren't particularly disadvantaged anywhere in the world. I see far more kids outside playing here in UK - and in all weathers. If they grow up far from extended family then I suppose they develop, of necessity, a sense of self reliance possibly combined with a good dose of selfishness. I can't really think of one thing which would be pivotal if that were the only reason for a family contemplating a move to a foreign country on the other side of the world.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by commonwealth
my question is: why perth?
Because we have visited and we have family already there.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback!!

We are moving providing we are accepted lol we are aware of the negative things but would nice to hear anyone with some positive feedback.

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Japonica
I do have to say that mine are a lot more active here than they ever were back in Canada. Even on the 40C days, we're out in the playgrounds either 8am or just after dinner when the sun is setting and it's cooling down. On -30C days back in Canada, there was no point in the day where it suddenly warmed up to say -5C and made being out there for an hour or so fun. We hibernated, plain and simple during cold snaps. Even during the heat here, we still manage to go outdoors.

Autumn and spring, we're outdoors all the time. Winter...we manage, dodging the squalls and lashing rain.
I hibernate in the winter over here so would have no hope in Canada lol
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:28 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The main advantage for children here in my opinion is that they will grow up in a richer country, and I believe the wealth-gulf between Britain and Australia can only grow over this century. But this is clearly a long-term advantage, and not a particular and immediate one for children now. UV is an issue in Australia during daytime in November - February but the rest of the year the weather in the south is very easy and dry and good to get out in.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
NIf they grow up far from extended family then I suppose they develop, of necessity, a sense of self reliance possibly combined with a good dose of selfishness. I can't really think of one thing which would be pivotal if that were the only reason for a family contemplating a move to a foreign country on the other side of the world.
There might be benefits if the package overall is conducive:
My kids have more space than in the UK. They live in a village not so different to one in the UK (and they're quite rare in Australia) yet are on the edge of a huge, by and large clean city, even by UK standards so have access to things you find in a large city: so access to the Arts and Sport.

They are bi-lingual and have extended family on several continents. They are self-reliant because acreage living lends it toself to the need to develop practical skills - but are not particular selfish - infact being able to work on serveral continents will allow them to be self-indulgant. Take your pick!

The weather in some ways is better than London, hot days are few and far between with cool changes and spring and autumn are mild, and warmer. Winter is not too harsh - infact the onset of it is rather nice, it's only the last month that grates...

For us, our mortgage is lower, and my wife has never worked. This has changed of course for migrants now.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:48 am
Banned

Thanks for the feedback!!

We are moving providing we are accepted lol we are aware of the negative things but would nice to hear anyone with some positive feedback.

Thanks
The trouble is you asked about the benefits, as most have said there arent automatically any real tangible advantages for everyone as every situation is different. For us our kids have more garden here than they had in Brisbane, for others they will go from a small house with a small garden in the UK to a big house with a big garden in Australia. There are no health benefits I am aware of, kids still have all the same issues growing up. I know people moving want to hear all the warm fuzzy stories and that is totally understandable but really you are swapping one rich first world country for another, none of us know what will happen in 5 years or 10 years but Im sure your kids will be just fine, dont necessarily imagine they will just become more outdoorsey or sporty if it isnt in them to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.