Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What KIND of work?

What KIND of work?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

BadHorsie01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What KIND of work?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I've spent around 30 mins hunting through the forum and can't find this particular question.

My wife and I are hoping to come over on a skills visa. She's the one getting the visa as she's in a "required" position (Siebel Professional).

We're both in IT and have been for over 10 years now.

The question I have is: IF we cannot find the work we'd like in our fields, are we allowed to do other work to make a living in the meantime? I mean like ANY kind of work. I've driven vans, factory supervision, all kinds. I LIKE to work.

Is it allowed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mick
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:37 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What KIND of work?

Originally Posted by BadHorsie01
Sorry if this has been asked before but I've spent around 30 mins hunting through the forum and can't find this particular question.

My wife and I are hoping to come over on a skills visa. She's the one getting the visa as she's in a "required" position (Siebel Professional).

The question I have is: IF we cannot find the work we'd like in our fields, are we allowed to do other work to make a living in the meantime? I mean like ANY kind of work. I've driven vans, factory supervision, all kinds. I LIKE to work.

Is it allowed?

Mick
You can anything once you have a visa.. clean pools if you like.. drink beer and remember working 48 hours in a dull it department
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by datamile
You can anything once you have a visa.. clean pools if you like.. drink beer and remember working 48 hours in a dull it department
Hmmmmm. TEMPTING!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Hmmmmm. TEMPTING!
Quick bump just in case anyone else has input.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Is it allowed?

Mick
Do you mind me asking what a Siebel Proffesional means? Sorry just curious I know what Siebel is (i hate it )
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
Do you mind me asking what a Siebel Proffesional means? Sorry just curious I know what Siebel is (i hate it )
She's a technical helpdesk manager. Has been for about 3 years. She works for a multi-national UK based company looking after a user base of over 15000 sales/marketing/engineering/support people.

I've run a Siebel admin team in the same company, but moved on about 18 months ago. Doh!

I didn't HATE it as such. But then I didn't have to use it from an end user perspective.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

She's a technical helpdesk manager. Has been for about 3 years. She works for a multi-national UK based company looking after a user base of over 15000 sales/marketing/engineering/support people.

I've run a Siebel admin team in the same company, but moved on about 18 months ago. Doh!

I didn't HATE it as such. But then I didn't have to use it from an end user perspective.
Ah, the old office romance scenario!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Is it allowed?

Mick
Just to let you know there're plenty of Siebel jobs in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne at the moment - mostly development and contract work, for government or banks mostly. Rates are roughly $75-120/hour, depending on experience. Oh there might be one or two jobs in Brissy as well if you're thinking of heading this way. Is you wife Siebel certified?

And yes, you can work in whatever profession you like once you are in Oz on a PR visa.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Just to let you know there're plenty of Siebel jobs in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne at the moment - mostly development and contract work, for government or banks mostly. Rates are roughly $75-120/hour, depending on experience. Oh there might be one or two jobs in Brissy as well if you're thinking of heading this way. Is you wife Siebel certified?

And yes, you can work in whatever profession you like once you are in Oz on a PR visa.

Mrs JTL
She's not Siebel Certified yet. May happen before we come out there. She has customer service certificates (helps when you're an application support helpdesk manager! ) and a few years specific Siebel support experience.

We're definitely looking at Brisbane at the moment.

Many thanks for the info!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

She's not Siebel Certified yet. May happen before we come out there. She has customer service certificates (helps when you're an application support helpdesk manager! ) and a few years specific Siebel support experience.

We're definitely looking at Brisbane at the moment.

Many thanks for the info!
When you say support do you mean first or second line support? Is she proficient/can she be hands-on in configuration, scripts (eScript/Siebel VB), workflow, etc? The reason I ask is because these are required for the technical jobs I mentioned in Brisbane.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:41 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When you say support do you mean first or second line support? Is she proficient/can she be hands-on in configuration, scripts (eScript/Siebel VB), workflow, etc? The reason I ask is because these are required for the technical jobs I mentioned in Brisbane.

Mrs JTL
Mrs JTL, what about an experienced oracle developer/designer for Brisbane ?... And how long(time)/packed is the train from birkdale to CDB for commuters ?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by datamile
Mrs JTL, what about an experienced oracle developer/designer for Brisbane ?... And how long(time)/packed is the train from birkdale to CDB for commuters ?
There are a decent amount of Oracle developer jobs in Brisbane. But again not as many as Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne. But if you are a certified Oracle developer, you should have no problems getting a job here, either full-time or contractor, whichever you prefer.

The train from Birkdale to CBD is 35 to 45 minutes, depending on if you get an express (they skip stations between Manly and Park Road). The benefit of Birkdale is its two stops before Manly, so never any problem getting a seat in the morning. People who get on at Manly may have a problem, if its one of the morning express trains. In the evening on the return, again it depends which station you use. If you get on at Central, no problems, if you get on at Roma Street or South Brisbane, its hit and miss whether you get a seat. But by the time they get to Manly they are half empty, so worst case you have to stand for 25 minutes.

JTL