Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financial Question

Financial Question

Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:41 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Financial Question

Does Australia have similar ways of checking credit as we do in the UK?
When buying a house, car, renting, applying for bank accounts etc?
Was under the impression that there isnt credit scoring like in the UK. Only asking as in this current climate in the UK we have had trouble with credit checks in the past in the UK and I am wondering if we will come up against similar problems in OZ
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: Financial Question

From what I understand - Oz credit doesn't work the same way as in the UK. Your UK credit rating def won't follow you. In general, I believe you have a good credit rating until you prove otherwise - kind of nice to start fresh without all those student moments (why pay your credit card when you can drink BEER!). And don't have to build up a credit rating as such - if you can prove you're in a full time job, you can get a mortgage.

All those who live there, feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds right, your UK one is not taken into account. You will be punished more harshley if you slip up on repayments than UK, heard storeys of people being unable to get credit as they missed their credit card repayment once!!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:34 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Does Australia have similar ways of checking credit as we do in the UK?
When buying a house, car, renting, applying for bank accounts etc?
Was under the impression that there isnt credit scoring like in the UK. Only asking as in this current climate in the UK we have had trouble with credit checks in the past in the UK and I am wondering if we will come up against similar problems in OZ
Your credit history doesn't follow you... Wipe the slate clean and start again... They keep score against you here, not for you like the UK... So don't be bad and you'll be OK...
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:55 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Your credit history doesn't follow you... Wipe the slate clean and start again... They keep score against you here, not for you like the UK... So don't be bad and you'll be OK...
Cheers that has settled me down a little. Our bad credit is 5 years in the past and we are still penalised for it now in the UK. I am looking forward to the fresh start.