What an idiot!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:42 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down What an idiot!

Myself, my partner and our son are emigrating to Australia next summer, and my dream is to do as much of the trip as we can by rail.

This includes the Moscow to Beijing stretch. Then we will fly or take a boat to Japan, where we will stop to take in some culture.

I know it will be hard work travelling for so long with a child who will then be 18 months old, but I think we will all get a lot from it.

Please advise me on finding and booking trains, unmissable stops to make and routes to take or to avoid? Would the language barrier be a problem?
Kelly Taylor, Guildford

If you went as fast as possible you could do the overland journey in less than a month.

For help with the Russia to China stretch, search the Ask the Experts archive for 'trans-Siberian' at www.observer.co.uk/travel/. After China, make your way down into Laos or Vietnam, through South-east Asia to Indonesia.

you run out of land here and need to take a flight from Bali or Jakarta to Darwin, Cairns or another Australian city.

If time isn't an issue, take six months and use this route or the traditional overland route via Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal and into China through Tibet. Overland travel is not possible through Burma.

Languages may be a problem in places, but this shouldn't stop you. You could rehearse with a shorter road trip to give you a taste of life on the road with a toddler and show what you will need to take with you.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/trave...297314,00.html
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:21 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: What an idiot!

Originally Posted by Don
Myself, my partner and our son are emigrating to Australia next summer, and my dream is to do as much of the trip as we can by rail.
I know it will be hard work travelling for so long with a child who will then be 18 months old, but I think we will all get a lot from it.
Crazy people. Thank god I won't be on any of those trains..... These people seriously want to prolong a 10,000 mile journey with an 18-month old? Surely you want to spend as little time as possible outside of a 'normal' environment with a nipper this age?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What an idiot!

Can I just say that some really good friends of ours did a trip where they went from the UK to China, spent several weeks travelling around, then when to Thailand and spent 9 months travelling around Australia in a campervan with a 2yo.

They had a fantastic time. Their little girl had a fantastic time and even 12 months down the track she still talks about the elephant ride she went on and the roo's she saw in Australia. With the pictures they took and the scrap books they made she will always remember parts of her trip. Perhaps she wont remember it all, but there are honestly parts that even now she still talks about.

That kind of trip is obviously right for some. I dont think I would want to do it....But for those that do, after my friends doing it, I wouldnt call anyone an idiot for giving it a try...

Hels
xxx
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:49 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Been on the again Donald?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:55 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Don

This includes the Moscow to Beijing stretch. Then we will fly or take a boat to Japan, where we will stop to take in some culture.

Please advise me on finding and booking trains, unmissable stops to make and routes to take or to avoid? Would the language barrier be a problem?
Kelly Taylor, Guildford

If you went as fast as possible you could do the overland journey in less than a month.

For help with the Russia to China stretch, search the Ask the Experts archive for 'trans-Siberian' at www.observer.co.uk/travel/. After China, make your way down into Laos or Vietnam, through South-east Asia to Indonesia.

you run out of land here and need to take a flight from Bali or Jakarta to Darwin, Cairns or another Australian city.

If time isn't an issue, take six months and use this route or the traditional overland route via Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal and into China through Tibet. Overland travel is not possible through Burma.

Languages may be a problem in places, but this shouldn't stop you. You could rehearse with a shorter road trip to give you a taste of life on the road with a toddler and show what you will need to take with you.

God! Rather them than me. I cant imagine that the Russian rail network has comfort as one of their top priorities....and in view of recent events, Id worry about personal safety.......
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of my parents hitch hiked all the way to NZ in the early 70's they had a great time. The only contact we had was when they arrived at a new place they'd place a reverse charge call to our house. Dad would refuse to accept it stating he knew no one in wherever they were. We then knew they were safe and well.
Sounds a great way of travelling to me, not sure about the 18 month old though :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:58 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don

Kelly Taylor, Guildford

Just depends on the buba! i could take the chance with my three eldest but not the youngest (dont know where she came from?!!) if the buba is of a content nature then go for it! if not beware! you know whats best ?
take care&good luck!
Donna.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:39 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Peter Moore - The Wrong Way Home
When Peter announced he was going to travel home from London to Sydney without stepping on an aeroplane, he was met with a resounding Why?
Old Sep 6th 2004, 5:15 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: What an idiot!

Originally Posted by Hels
Can I just say that some really good friends of ours did a trip where they went from the UK to China, spent several weeks travelling around, then when to Thailand and spent 9 months travelling around Australia in a campervan with a 2yo.

They had a fantastic time. Their little girl had a fantastic time and even 12 months down the track she still talks about the elephant ride she went on and the roo's she saw in Australia. With the pictures they took and the scrap books they made she will always remember parts of her trip. Perhaps she wont remember it all, but there are honestly parts that even now she still talks about.

That kind of trip is obviously right for some. I dont think I would want to do it....But for those that do, after my friends doing it, I wouldnt call anyone an idiot for giving it a try...

Hels
xxx
It's the overland bit that is crazy (with an 18 month old kid). Do the journey in plane hops and spending more time looking around would be a lot more sensible and better for the kid.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

It can be a fantastic way to travel. You don't really meet and get a real feel for a country by flying in , spending nights in a hotel the same way as you do travelling across land with the locals. The people you meet travelling across land can be extraordinary. Some of the nicest people I have met, I have met on trains ( I tend to go by trains if I can get out of flying - I hate flying. Never done it from Aus to Uk though)

Don't some experts say the first two years of a child's life is what makes that child, it has a great effect on the building of the human.. If so, that child will grow up with an open mind, and a curiosity for learning what is outside that conventional square . And not go to BBQ's, and mow their lawn every Sunday.

Good luck to them. If they find it too hard into the journey, they can always hop on a direct (ish) flight to Aus.