Reload this Page >

HSBC Account in Aus if not a customer in uk

HSBC Account in Aus if not a customer in uk

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default HSBC Account in Aus if not a customer in uk

Hi all

I know that I am probably going to get shot down in flames & told to go and do a search BUT

I have looked at a few threads & they seem to refer to people who already have accounts with the HSBC in the UK - and we don't.

Just wanted to know how to go about opening one if you have not banked with them - I have the forms & it says something about a member of staff at the branch verifying that you are a customer. How do I get around this - do I need a letter from my bank stating that?

Has anyone saved a thread in their favourites that gives an idiots guide!!!

We are thinking of opening one with the HSBC & also one with the CBA just in case anything goes belly up when we get there & we need to buy stuff. Anyone else done this? Do you get a credit card with the CBA too? That will come in handy when buying the big stuff.

Cheers & sorry for the same old questions - be gentle with me - only booked our tickets yesterday & one hundred & 99 things to get done.

pockygoes
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:22 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: HSBC Account in Aus if not a customer in uk

Originally Posted by pockygoes
Hi all

I know that I am probably going to get shot down in flames & told to go and do a search BUT

I have looked at a few threads & they seem to refer to people who already have accounts with the HSBC in the UK - and we don't.

Just wanted to know how to go about opening one if you have not banked with them - I have the forms & it says something about a member of staff at the branch verifying that you are a customer. How do I get around this - do I need a letter from my bank stating that?

We are thinking of opening one with the HSBC & also one with the CBA just in case anything goes belly up when we get there & we need to buy stuff. Anyone else done this? Do you get a credit card with the CBA too? That will come in handy when buying the big stuff.

Cheers & sorry for the same old questions - be gentle with me - only booked our tickets yesterday & one hundred & 99 things to get done.

pockygoes

Hiya Pokygoes
I intended to open a HSBC account whilst in UK however due to various reasons didn't get chance.

When we got to Aus I went straight to HSBC, took passports, uk driving licence, birth certificates and passports [all forms of ID for me and hubby]. We opened accounts there and then no problems you just need a minimum of $2,000 AUD per account to open an account with them.

We had to give them our motel address though as we hadn't rented anything at that point. No problem.....we just changed our address details via internet banking once we'd found somewhere to live. Also transferring money from UK to HSBC was easy peasy.

As for credit availability /credit cards. Can't help you with this I'm afraid. Didn't apply / didn't need. Maybe someone else can help re that question?

So no worries re opening HSBC over here

Hope this helps?

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Sep 3rd 2004 at 4:26 pm.

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Hiya Pokygoes
I intended to open a HSBC account whilst in UK however due to various reasons didn't get chance.

When we got to Aus I went straight to HSBC, took passports, uk driving licence, birth certificates and passports [all forms of ID for me and hubby]. We opened accounts there and then no problems you just need a minimum of $2,000 AUD per account to open an account with them.

We had to give them our motel address though as we hadn't rented anything at that point. No problem.....we just changed our address details via internet banking once we'd found somewhere to live. Also transferring money from UK to HSBC was easy peasy.

As for credit availability /credit cards. Can't help you with this I'm afraid. Didn't apply / didn't need. Maybe someone else can help re that question?

So no worries re opening HSBC over here

Hope this helps?
Thanks Pheonix for your reply - I guess if we don't get to find out about it before we go - at least we know we can do it when we get there. Would prefer to do it here though - then it is one more thing of the to do list.

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:46 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Not a UK customer but phoned a Sydney branch to make sure they could see us, went in and 10 minutes later had an account, ATM cards and credit cards on the way! Couldn't have been more helpful.

Their website, like ING's, is very straightforward too - unlike some that drive you mad. St George for example!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:53 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,

We like you wanted to open an account whilst still in the uk.

We have never banked with HSBC so all we did was fill in the forms and take them into a branch of HSBC, we did make an appointment. They then go through all the forms and check your evidence, stamp the form and off you go! I will say that if you can, go to a large branch of HSBC as the smaller ones don't seem to have a clue. If you are told that you have to be an existing HSBC account holder (like we were at our branch) it's rubbish. You don't even need a letter of introduction from your existing bank. I think we took in our passports, driving licences, a utility bill, and our marriage/birth certificates. We sent the stamped forms off that day and had our account details within 2 weeks. We still haven't deposited $2000 into the account yet but all that means is you can't operate it. Once you deposit the money then you can do everything as you do with normal online banking.

Hope this helps.

TOB

Thanks Pheonix for your reply - I guess if we don't get to find out about it before we go - at least we know we can do it when we get there. Would prefer to do it here though - then it is one more thing of the to do list.

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

If the local HSBC branch staff don't know what to do, tell them to ring these:
HSBC International Branch Tel: 020 7991 7278 (For opening Australian Account from UK)

Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your help - I think the nearest big branch is Birmingham - will try the local one & give them the number to ring if they have a problem & if that fails will have to go into the city.

Any other tips?

The forecast for today was 25 so bought all the stuff for a BBQ & now it is looking really grey & looks like it may rain..... Bloody weather!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 4th 2004, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Not a UK customer but phoned a Sydney branch to make sure they could see us, went in and 10 minutes later had an account, ATM cards and credit cards on the way! Couldn't have been more helpful.

Their website, like ING's, is very straightforward too - unlike some that drive you mad. St George for example!
Do ING just do saving accounts as per UK or do they do current accounts also?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Do ING just do saving accounts as per UK or do they do current accounts also?

ING is just for savings and you have to have it linked to another account.

check out their website www.ingdirect.com.au
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that - will have a look at the site

cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie
ING is just for savings and you have to have it linked to another account.

check out their website www.ingdirect.com.au
I use them and they are excellent and fee free. Most banks struggle to offer term deposits at %5.25 let alone an instant access account. ING also offer a business savings account, 2 managed funds and a mortgage that also looks good value.

I agree with Rog about the St George Website. The wife has dumped St George because they keep on changing the fee structure of their accounts and just dumped her in the new accounts.

Last edited by bondipom; Sep 5th 2004 at 2:44 am.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I've just opened a second account for savings "not to be touched" eg for flights to the uk for example. Its linked to the first ING account and its all really easy. You can have up to 9 accounts at any one time and theres no minimum amount to get the 5.25%, which is a total bargin
Old Sep 5th 2004, 2:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Me too. I've just opened a second account for savings "not to be touched" eg for flights to the uk for example. Its linked to the first ING account and its all really easy. You can have up to 9 accounts at any one time and theres no minimum amount to get the 5.25%, which is a total bargin
Yep. We have a joint and a personal account each. Depending on what left over to save we give each other a set amount for clothing and gadgets for me. Keeps the money very civilised.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to open a second ING account and keep 50% of my earnings in it to hold against tax at the end of the year.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I'm going to open a second ING account and keep 50% of my earnings in it to hold against tax at the end of the year.
Isn't 50% a bit high ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.