Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by 1235
We need to have in mind that this people grew up in different culture and their idea of "help" may be different than yours, but as John Lennon used to sing:
"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too"
And there idea of "help" means handout. As for John Lennon what a load of idealistic tosh.Try telling that to the Afghans no religion.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yes endorse that fully but on the other side they are attacked for working too hard.By this i mean colonising areas of cities and the locals complaining of no longer belonging.
But these economic migrants are not from such a culture.Never seen or heard anyone being chastised for working to hard.All immigrants should assimilate to the host culture not retain there own
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by robo43
But these economic migrants are not from such a culture.Never seen or heard anyone being chastised for working to hard.All immigrants should assimilate to the host culture not retain there own
I think it's more reasonable to request integration rather than assimilation. Australia is a multicultural society, after all.

However, it should be clearly understood that the laws of Australia take precedence over any cultural or religions beliefs and practices.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think it's more reasonable to request integration rather than assimilation. Australia is a multicultural society, after all.

However, it should be clearly understood that the laws of Australia take precedence over any cultural or religions beliefs and practices.
Multiculturism has never worked and should be abandoned as a failed outdated dogma
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Multiculturism has never worked and should be abandoned as a failed outdated dogma
Not true. It works in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and plenty of other countries around the world.

Forcing people to give up their cultural identity and lose themselves in a vague homogeneous mass is a retrograde philosophy which has wreaked havoc in the past and continues to damage inter-cultural relations today.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Not true. It works in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and plenty of other countries around the world.

Forcing people to give up their cultural identity and lose themselves in a vague homogeneous mass is a retrograde philosophy which has wreaked havoc in the past and continues to damage inter-cultural relations today.
Hardly the multiculture centre of the world those 3 and there have already been racial confrontations over east
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1235
After all maybe you and bourbon-biscuit are right... we should assume, that this people are good and first help them, then decide. But just remember, that when you offer help you take a responsibility for that people. What if more of them will come?
What else would you suggest a civilised country do? Seriously? Bombing the boat or dragging them out of Australian waters or immediate repatriation/deportation are hardly the actions of a civilised country are they? We have to give these people the benefit of the doubt, process their claims in accordance withe the laws and professionals' understanding of the situation and see what comes. We don't decide if someone's going to be a refugee depending upon how well they'll integrate or how many more will come.

Hardly the multiculture centre of the world those 3 and there have already been racial confrontations over east
But multiculturalism is still quite a young concept and yes actually, I think on the whole it does work in those three countries. I certainly enojoy the benefits of multiculturalism here in Australia and did in NZ. Clashes and confrontations can't be seen as mass failure of multiculturalism- more a shaking down process, imo. Also, there are always thugs and idiots in any culture ready to cause trouble- that's not a new product of multiculturalism.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Three of many, remember. They're not the only ones. Of those three, Australia is probably the most multicultural, but my point still stands. 25% of Australians were born overseas; that's even more than the UK!

Yes, there have been racial confrontations over east. There will always be racial confrontations of some sort; you'll never eradicate them completely. But for the most part, multiculturalism works.

How many Australian-born Muslims have killed their fellow citizens with suicide bombs? You can count them on the fingers of one foot.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Three of many, remember. They're not the only ones. Of those three, Australia is probably the most multicultural, but my point still stands. 25% of Australians were born overseas; that's even more than the UK!

Yes, there have been racial confrontations over east. There will always be racial confrontations of some sort; you'll never eradicate them completely. But for the most part, multiculturalism works.

How many Australian-born Muslims have killed their fellow citizens with suicide bombs? You can count them on the fingers of one foot.
Multiculturalism is a soft form of apartheid. It encourages ethnic communities to form their own racial groupings, ghettos, etc. ... it's a ticking time bomb - especially when the communities become large.

A melting-pot approach where all the racial and cultural groups fold into one to produce a single and united national identity is preferrable by far.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:27 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Multiculturalism is a soft form of apartheid. It encourages ethnic communities to form their own racial groupings, ghettos, etc. ... it's a ticking time bomb - especially when the communities become large.

A melting-pot approach where all the racial and cultural groups fold into one to produce a single and united national identity is preferrable by far.
That's interesting. I wonder whether the first paragraph is always true or is most true in societies where there are huge socio-economic disparities between cultural groups?

The second paragraph rings alarm bells aplenty for me. What would happen to Maori culture (or any minority culture within a society) if this approach had been/is taken?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That's interesting. I wonder whether the first paragraph is always true or is most true in societies where there are huge socio-economic disparities between cultural groups?

The second paragraph rings alarm bells aplenty for me. What would happen to Maori culture (or any minority culture within a society) if this approach had been/is taken?
There are lots of potential lines of division. I suspect that some of the socio-economic disparities that exist today may be encouraged by multi-culturalism. Solution: don't create/encourage separate cultural groups.

The Maori culture... Is it not the result of the merging of the early (pre european) settlers cultures?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Exactly. Part of the problem is that "Multiculturalism" means different things to diffeent people.

Like most people, I have no problem mixing with individuals of any "race" (using "race" in the popular sense) but that doesn't mean I enjoy being with *ferals* of any colour.

If immigrants want to maintain their superstitions aka religious beliefs then that's OK by most people too - but where "multiculturalism" merges into intolerant ghettoes it's gone way past the line and I think the host nation is quite at liberty to think "why don't they go home and be intolerant there?"

Australia was built on an Anglo Saxon base*: fact, like it or not. If that's going to be overturned then the result needs to show an improvement - and I don't see that has happened anywhere where whole areas have been taken over by nationalities with different values.

(* Don't bring up the old Aboriginal argument, please: if you accept that one then basically the whole continent should be ceded back to the hundreds of tribes.)
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:45 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lastone
Is that a variation of the sticker 'if you don't like it here...."?

There has been some complete and utter bollocks posted in this thread and I'm talming facts here.

So I think I won't bother, thanks, but keep showing yourselves up.
Anyone with an ounce of sense would have realised that they were lighting a powder keg when they started a thread like this.

The only person who is 'showing themselves up', is you by lowering yourself and using the language that you have just used.

So, as you say, 'if you don't like it here....'
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:51 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
Anyone with an ounce of sense would have realised that they were lighting a powder keg when they started a thread like this.

The only person who is 'showing themselves up', is you by lowering yourself and using the language that you have just used.

So, as you say, 'if you don't like it here....'
bloody hell theres a blast from the past
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wol
Exactly. Part of the problem is that "Multiculturalism" means different things to diffeent people.

Like most people, I have no problem mixing with individuals of any "race" (using "race" in the popular sense) but that doesn't mean I enjoy being with *ferals* of any colour.

If immigrants want to maintain their superstitions aka religious beliefs then that's OK by most people too - but where "multiculturalism" merges into intolerant ghettoes it's gone way past the line and I think the host nation is quite at liberty to think "why don't they go home and be intolerant there?"

Australia was built on an Anglo Saxon base*: fact, like it or not. If that's going to be overturned then the result needs to show an improvement - and I don't see that has happened anywhere where whole areas have been taken over by nationalities with different values.

(* Don't bring up the old Aboriginal argument, please: if you accept that one then basically the whole continent should be ceded back to the hundreds of tribes.)
I fully agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.