Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to our children if we die?

What happens to our children if we die?

Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to our children if we die?

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
That's what I thought I really wouldn't want our kids to go into care, even for a day or two.

I think we'll keep my parents as guardians for now, our children are only 20 months and 4 months old so they'd adapt easily and probably would for a few years yet but like you said it would be so traumatic being dragged away from everything you know in Australia to go live in England, doesn't bear thinking about.
Interesting topic, actually. I'd be glad for my children to go into care - they might get a square meal rather than the rubbish we provide.

This is why citizenship is vital I reckon - so that the children have the option of returning as adults - unless the children can't interrupt education and friendships then they'd be better off with guardian or family in the UK.

If I copped it tomorrow, my wife and the brats would be able to pay off the mortgage, and go and live in any one of the countries in which we have family quite comfortably. I expect they would divide their time between California and Australia.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

For most expats, I can't see family members applying to come over here to take care of children.

The supermarket aisles aren't wide enough, for one thing.

Originally Posted by JAJ
And as someone else says, it helps if you have trusted friends in Australia, who even if they can't or don't want to look after the children full time, could do so temporarily and/or act as an advocate for the child.

Usually, car accidents are the reason for both parents to die simultaneously. One way to manage this risk is to travel in different vehicles.
That is precisely why we are a 2 car family - not just to keep up with the Jones's and reduce shoe- leather wear but so that I can tale my wife and children from a safe distance.

The next step is a minder-car - with a defensive driver who can even get in between us and the problem car if need be - a sort of 'Car Catcher'. They're very expensive to hire here, and the variety is not as good.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That is precisely why we are a 2 car family - not just to keep up with the Jones's and reduce shoe- leather wear but so that I can tale my wife and children from a safe distance.
When I was younger one of my friends and his family always travelled on different flights. He would be on the same flights as his father, and his younger sister with his mother. Although I understood the logic behind the arrangement, I always found it odd. Till then I thought only royalties and heads of states did that sort of thing.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just not practical most of the time though, is it? I mean you go out for an evening, just the two of you, are you supposed to go in separate cars or taxis? I'm always designated driver because I rarely drink but what's the point of me driving myself and him getting a taxi that needs paying for? You have to live you lives normally, can't go around thinking that at any minute you're going to die and leave the children orphans
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When I was younger one of my friends and his family always travelled on different flights. He would be on the same flights as his father, and his younger sister with his mother. Although I understood the logic behind the arrangement, I always found it odd. Till then I thought only royalties and heads of states did that sort of thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_survivor

Not sure if I think it's added-value for air travel, as aircraft accidents are more likely to kill everyone (in the same part of the aircraft) or leave everyone alive. Car accidents have a greater tendency to cause orphaned children, if that is the concern.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's just not practical most of the time though, is it? I mean you go out for an evening, just the two of you, are you supposed to go in separate cars or taxis? I'm always designated driver because I rarely drink but what's the point of me driving myself and him getting a taxi that needs paying for? You have to live you lives normally, can't go around thinking that at any minute you're going to die and leave the children orphans
I'll just point out that for most people, once children have reached an age of semi-independence and/or you have a support network in place, these measures might seem a little extreme. But parent of young children without a support network in place might wish to take a few extra steps to reduce the (admittedly small) risk of them being made orphans.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: What happens to our children if we die?

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you don't have relatives in the UK whom you could trust with your children then you may decide to instead specify that they should remain in Australia and take the chances with the care system. Doesn't necessarily have to mean a "childrens home" as there may be long term fostering or adoption arrangements available. In other words, perhaps research the care options available in your state before dismissing the option. Discuss with your family law practitioner.

As permanent residents (if they are PR), the children would not be automatically thrown out of the country but it would get complicated if relatives in the UK tried to claim them and you had left nothing to the contrary in writing.
Thank you JAJ - It hadn't occurred to me until I read your post, but you are right. I had a brief discussion with my 15 year old about this (we are PR and had our heads in the sand too - no will, nothing written, so bad). He desperately wants to stay here but I think my family would try to "claim" him and take him "back home"

Time to bring in the legals I think

Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Thank you JAJ - It hadn't occurred to me until I read your post, but you are right. I had a brief discussion with my 15 year old about this (we are PR and had our heads in the sand too - no will, nothing written, so bad). He desperately wants to stay here but I think my family would try to "claim" him and take him "back home"

Time to bring in the legals I think
Get everything documented.

Check to see if 16 and 17 year olds have the right in your state/territory to live independently (they do in the UK).

Also, if you don't have good term life insurance - get some immediately. Term life cover, for say 10 years, is not expensive. Would provide an important financial cushion if the worst happened. Again, check if you need to set up a trust, etc, for someone under 18 at the time.

And get your citizenship asap.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 10th 2010 at 2:20 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get everything documented.

Check to see if 16 and 17 year olds have the right in your state/territory to live independently (they do in the UK).

Also, if you don't have good term life insurance - get some immediately. Term life cover, for say 10 years, is not expensive. Would provide an important financial cushion if the worst happened. Again, check if you need to set up a trust, etc, for someone under 18 at the time.

And get your citizenship asap.
Unfortunately we can't apply for citizenship until Nov 2011, but the insurance is in place, so it's really just the uncertainty about whether he could stay here or would be sent back to family in the UK we are nervous about - we have no family here and although we have made some good friends, they are all still "new"

We hadn't thought about the independent living though, whilst it's a scary thought, it might buy some time until he goes onto uni to do the student thing

Thanks for the pointers
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Unfortunately we can't apply for citizenship until Nov 2011, but the insurance is in place, so it's really just the uncertainty about whether he could stay here or would be sent back to family in the UK we are nervous about - we have no family here and although we have made some good friends, they are all still "new"

We hadn't thought about the independent living though, whilst it's a scary thought, it might buy some time until he goes onto uni to do the student thing

Thanks for the pointers
As a permanent resident, he would not be subject to deportation (as far as DIAC are concerned) in these circumstances and it it hard to see how the local authorities could force him to leave. But discuss with a family law practitioner as to what weight, if any, would be given to UK relatives demanding he return and what documents you can put in place to prevent it.