Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to our children if we die?

What happens to our children if we die?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens to our children if we die?

Originally Posted by Kingseat
We have a letter of wishes attached to our wills that states very clearly that we do not want our child going into care in anyway shape or form - it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it while I type this. Bloody awful. It states that he should live with someone he knows until the will matters are sorted through.

It also states that if our son is at an age that he can reasonably voice his own wishes that those should also be taken into account.

It is a hellish thing to think about.
And how much notice do you think social services will take of that? Social sevices will always do what they want irrespective of wishes.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

It will be heard in a court of law. Regardless of SS.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
And how much notice do you think social services will take of that? Social sevices will always do what they want irrespective of wishes.
I think they would but the first night could be a problem, they're not likely to produce the will within minutes of the death.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
God, don't know, just assumed so. She would be an adult and her sister would kick up one hell of a fuss (happy not to witness that ) if she wasn't. Oh do I really have to look into this? I don't want to
Yeah I just assumed so as well!! Although my lot would probably fight to be apart!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
It will be heard in a court of law. Regardless of SS.
Weeks or months later. Unless you have a guardian already named and the guardian has proof of your wishes your children will go to DCP.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Agree its a horrid thought but it is something we all need to consider
Im still with the head in the sand brigade but think i will have the conversation with my ex who is currently visiting from UK.
My daughter will be 18 in Jan 2011 so i have to stay on the perch until at least then - they would be devastated at having to go back to UK. Having said that my eldest who is still living in the UK has his PR visa valid until 2012 so I kinda hope i got all options covered. I still think maybe the discussion needs having and it all puttin into writing

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone LOL
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's one of those questions that come up regularly and makes us all think and then we go back to burying our heads in the sand because it won't happen to us, will it.

From reading stuff in the past, if the children are citizens, then there can be special dispensation for the grandparents or whoever is named legal guardian to get a visa, generally though I would imagine the children would go back to the UK.

If you don't make definite plans for what happens to the children between the time you die and the guardians arrive, the children would be put in the care of the social services - short term foster parents trained for the task I would imagine.

If you have a friend here you would trust with your children then I would ask her if she would do this, then have something drawn up legally that she would keep, the school/kindy/whatever would have their number as third emergency number etc. She would then be able to produce the document immediately she finds out about your deaths.

I'm not sure if the UK guardians would be able to get special dispensation for visas if the children are PR, you'd probably have to check with a migration agent on that one. Yours are only little though I think, so probably a move back to the UK would be best. They'd have to move back for a while even if the guardians did want to live here.

Just remembered, there is something on the DIAC site, I'll try and find it.

Edit: No, I think I was thinking of the 116 which is for parents or family members who need a permanent visa to come out to act as carers for PR or citizens but you have to prove the medical side, it's not carers as in looking after healthy children. I should imagine though, it would be something like that visa they would need to get.

It's called Ministerial Intervention (section 351 for non-refugee cases):
http://www.immi.gov.au/refugee/minis...tervention.htm
http://www.iarc.asn.au/publications/...inisterial.pdf

Not an easy process. First you have to be able to make a valid application for a visa which carries MRT review rights, then after MRT refusal, you can appeal to the Minister for what is a personal discretion.

There are broad policies underlying it, but one of the purposes is to deal with unusual, exceptional cases. I would think that if there were Australian citizen children left without guardians and foreign relatives were identified as the appropriate guardians for such children, ministerial intervention might work. But cases like this are highly fact dependent.

If children are PR, the process could still be attempted, but it becomes harder. Children have a more secure status in Australia if they are citizens.

If child is older, say 16+, then child may be able to live relatively independently.

To manage this risk you should do the following:

1. Discuss with family law practitioner in state of residence what normally happens in such instances, and what documentation can be put in place to influence the process;

2. Make sure you have plenty of life insurance to deal with the eventuality. Life insurance is normally cheap provided you only pay for the cover you need - which is usually the time until your children pass university age. (don't waste money on policies that last a lifetime, or which mix up savings and insurance).

And as someone else says, it helps if you have trusted friends in Australia, who even if they can't or don't want to look after the children full time, could do so temporarily and/or act as an advocate for the child.

Usually, car accidents are the reason for both parents to die simultaneously. One way to manage this risk is to travel in different vehicles.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
If your eldest is over 18, do they automatically get to look after the others or do you still have to state it in a will?
No, they don't get to look after the younger siblings automatically. The 18-year old needs to make a guardianship application to be appointed legal guardian over the younger siblings. The court then involves Social Services who assess whether the 18-year old is the right person to be a guardian.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
No, they don't get to look after the younger siblings automatically. The 18-year old needs to make a guardianship application to be appointed legal guardian over the younger siblings. The court then involves Social Services who assess whether the 18-year old is the right person to be a guardian.
But would she be able to look after them straight away until my parents got here? She would be distraught if they got taken into care and she was left on her own.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

If your eldest is over 18, do they automatically get to look after the others or do you still have to state it in a will?
When we came over, our eldest was 18 and his younger brothers were 16 an 12. We made a will here (and in the UK to be sure) saying that we wanted him to have guardianship of his brothers, I also have an elderly (but very capable) aunt in Adelaide that agreed to help him as needed, we laid all this in our wills as we didn't want the boys to be forced to return to the UK if the didn't want to and we wanted to make sure that they could stay together. Now our youngest is nearly 17, but if anything happens his brothers will have legal guardianship until he turns 18. It gave us and our sons who know of the wills obviously peace of mind that they would be able to stay together and stay here. We have also made sure we have plenty of life cover for them if anything happens, so that they continue to have a home and an income.

Last edited by Smartinis; Mar 27th 2010 at 8:36 am.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smartinis
When we came over, our eldest was 18 and his younger brothers were 16 an 12. We made a will here (and in the UK to be sure) saying that we wanted him to have guardianship of his brothers, I also have an elderly (but very capable) aunt in Adelaide that agreed to help him as needed, we laid all this in our wills as we didn't want the boys to be forced to return to the UK if the didn't want to and we wanted to make sure that they could stay together. Now our youngest is nearly 17, but if anything happens his brothers will have legal guardianship until he turns 18. It gave us and our sons who know of the wills obviously peace of mind that they would be able to stay together and stay here. We have also made sure we have plenty of life cover for them if anything happens, so that they continue to have a home and an income.
Think I'm going to have to take my head out of the sand and set up a will so at least they will all be together until my parents get here and then they can decide what's best. Thanks!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But would she be able to look after them straight away until my parents got here? She would be distraught if they got taken into care and she was left on her own.
With respect, you need to be having this discussion with a family law practitioner in your state of residence, not an online forum.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
With respect, you need to be having this discussion with a family law practitioner in your state of residence, not an online forum.
Yes I now realise this but I have to confess I hadn't given it much thought until I read the thread! Head in the sand like other people have mentioned!! I'll get onto it!!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, I appreciate as JAJ says that it is something that needs to be discussed with a qualified advisor but it is good to be reminded of this. We have been here for nearly 2 years now and have forgotten or put off doing anything about it.

We don't have family here, and I can't think of anyone we know well enough to ask them to be temporary guardians either (and it's an awful thought to think they would have to go into care for a few days at such an terrible time) but at least we need to think very hard about who should be their guardians in the UK and make this all legal in a will. As we don't have many close relatives in the UK this won't be easy but needs to be done.

In the meantime, maybe we need a second car so we don't ever travel together

Sam
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Good post, I appreciate as JAJ says that it is something that needs to be discussed with a qualified advisor but it is good to be reminded of this. We have been here for nearly 2 years now and have forgotten or put off doing anything about it.

We don't have family here, and I can't think of anyone we know well enough to ask them to be temporary guardians either (and it's an awful thought to think they would have to go into care for a few days at such an terrible time) but at least we need to think very hard about who should be their guardians in the UK and make this all legal in a will. As we don't have many close relatives in the UK this won't be easy but needs to be done.
If you don't have relatives in the UK whom you could trust with your children then you may decide to instead specify that they should remain in Australia and take the chances with the care system. Doesn't necessarily have to mean a "childrens home" as there may be long term fostering or adoption arrangements available. In other words, perhaps research the care options available in your state before dismissing the option. Discuss with your family law practitioner.

As permanent residents (if they are PR), the children would not be automatically thrown out of the country but it would get complicated if relatives in the UK tried to claim them and you had left nothing to the contrary in writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.