Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is GYMPIE like on the east coast??

what is GYMPIE like on the east coast??

Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default what is GYMPIE like on the east coast??

Hello, we are currently living on the west coast but keeping our options open and we are just looking into different areas to live.

does anybody know what Gympie is like? i have been on real estate and seen that to rent and buy houses are really reasonable.

can anybody help us with what sort of shops are there, is it a nice area etc....

thanks
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is GYMPIE like on the east coast??

Originally Posted by jonjelly
Hello, we are currently living on the west coast but keeping our options open and we are just looking into different areas to live.

does anybody know what Gympie is like? i have been on real estate and seen that to rent and buy houses are really reasonable.

can anybody help us with what sort of shops are there, is it a nice area etc....

thanks
Feral barefoot land with a lack of mint sauce. Cresta57 is up that way, have a browse through some of his posts till he gets back from fishing
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
What can I say
Gympie is the fastest growing area in QLD according to the real estate blurb.
It's a quiet place very rural town feel to it. The girls in the bank know you by your first name or by Mr/Mrs ******* if you've reached the age that commands a little respect.
It's not to everyones taste, though I've grown to love it along with all of it's quaintness.
It's only half an hour from the Sandy Straits & Fraser Island so excellent for fishing diving Sailing etc.
Population now about 20k metro area with another 20k in the outlying areas.
Like you say it's cheap affordable housing, that is also reflected in the average wage [circa $500 per week]
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough

thanks guys, what sort of shopping is there like supermarkets etc. is there any schools there?? pubs??
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

All the usual supermarkets. We have big W just opened, and the promise of some kind of homemaker centre within the next couple of years. Clothes shopping isn't great but then any excuse to visit the big smoke. Schools are much of a muchness depending on what stage of academia your child is at, there are plenty of fee paying schools up here as well as state schools. The people are really friendly once you get past the "Your not from round ere r ya?" remarks. Major road infrastructure is going in at the moment and as Sean has said there is huge growth in the area, hence property prices are rising steadily.

Most of the pubs are in the process of being renovated, only time will tell whether they will be any good or not, guess we'll have to update you later on this after we've checked them out.

Last edited by cresta's conscience; Jul 21st 2007 at 3:24 pm. Reason: Forgot to mention pubs doh!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:11 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
All the usual supermarkets. We have big W just opened, and the promise of some kind of homemaker centre within the next couple of years.
As long as you don't need to buy anything on a Sunday
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be concerned about moving anywhere with a name like that

(sorry cresta, know its your home

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 22nd 2007 at 12:20 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:19 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

thanks
Don't forget your banjo.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Don't forget your banjo.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Stay in England if you are obsessed by shops(!) Most places will be able to keep you alive in groceries and fruit and veg, you'll be able to get a takeway,(maybe not your haircut! - shortages I believe), shop for supplies.

I've been there to the grocers. Main road of shops.

I was there, all of 10mins before I had to leave for anothe place Goomeri down the road. Cattle country.

They have ag shows on.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:55 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

When we first moved to Australia, we were told Gympie is where the 6 fingered folk live !

Having lived here for a few years now, I can tellya Gympie is nice. Its proximity to Noosa, Beerwah, Maroochy etc make it an extremely viable place to live.
Also the new Gateway flyover bridge will be finished in 2011 so, more people will be moving to Brisbanes northside, and obviously as prices increase, further afield... therefore making Gympie a more local place to live than the proverbial warn on Brisnaes head.. as it is seen by some at present.

As for pubs and shops, if its anything like where we live, Bottlo closes at 6-7 ish depending on wind speed and direction ! Pub closes at around 7-10 dependant on patrons etc...

As for shops, IGA is our local supermarket, and they never seem to close.. okay you pay a little extra on groceries, but ... well you adapt

Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:38 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
All the usual supermarkets. We have big W just opened, and the promise of some kind of homemaker centre within the next couple of years. Clothes shopping isn't great but then any excuse to visit the big smoke. Schools are much of a muchness depending on what stage of academia your child is at, there are plenty of fee paying schools up here as well as state schools. The people are really friendly once you get past the "Your not from round ere r ya?" remarks. Major road infrastructure is going in at the moment and as Sean has said there is huge growth in the area, hence property prices are rising steadily.

Most of the pubs are in the process of being renovated, only time will tell whether they will be any good or not, guess we'll have to update you later on this after we've checked them out.
You used his name they'll find him now. Where have your appendiges gone?
Your house prices are more reasonable so people will get a lot more for their money?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

I suppose when you ask what it is like you need to ask compared to what!

We live in Buderim, Sunshine Coast, which is lovely with everything on hand

However, if you want long shopping hours in Buderim forget it

I also spent last weekend in Melbourne city centre and we could not get a meal after 8pm only KFC & McDonalds etc

We have been looking at Gympie for an investment property and to be honest it's not that bad and there is a great deal of money being invested in the area

Personally we could not live there as we have to commute to Brisbane but if our situation was different we would consider it

Gympie has the same repuatation as Nambour had on the SC but Nambour is now an up and coming area so watch this space for Gympie

It depends what you are looking for really but if you want acreage not too far from the beach, with amenities nearby and prospects of making a few quid then Gympie would be a safe bet

As for it being barefoot land I've seen that in Brisbane and Melbourne too so it would not put me off Gympie, unless i was a snob of course!

Selina x
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selina
I suppose when you ask what it is like you need to ask compared to what!

We live in Buderim, Sunshine Coast, which is lovely with everything on hand

However, if you want long shopping hours in Buderim forget it

I also spent last weekend in Melbourne city centre and we could not get a meal after 8pm only KFC & McDonalds etc

We have been looking at Gympie for an investment property and to be honest it's not that bad and there is a great deal of money being invested in the area

Personally we could not live there as we have to commute to Brisbane but if our situation was different we would consider it

Gympie has the same repuatation as Nambour had on the SC but Nambour is now an up and coming area so watch this space for Gympie

It depends what you are looking for really but if you want acreage not too far from the beach, with amenities nearby and prospects of making a few quid then Gympie would be a safe bet

As for it being barefoot land I've seen that in Brisbane and Melbourne too so it would not put me off Gympie, unless i was a snob of course!

Selina x

We are also looking to buy a investment property, and Gympie was one of our prime choices. I think as you mentioned, there appears to be the infrastructure and investment in place, to make Gympie a far more reasonable investment proposition for us.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:52 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
We are also looking to buy a investment property, and Gympie was one of our prime choices. I think as you mentioned, there appears to be the infrastructure and investment in place, to make Gympie a far more reasonable investment proposition for us.
Blimey, haven't seen you on here for a very long time!!

Hello