Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What food in storage? Ok in container?!

What food in storage? Ok in container?!

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default What food in storage? Ok in container?!

I kind of thought all food was off limits, but now people have started saying 'you must take mayonnaise and decaf coffee' to name but a few!

So, our stuff will be shipped shortly and I'm wondering how we should label the boxes!!?

Anything we should take, can I take my spices, I make a mean curry
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:56 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What food in storage? Ok in container?!

There will be things you can and things you cannot take - you should check this website for the official position

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014

Its even got a nice picture of Steve Irwin on it. There is a section on what can I / cant I bring into Aus and a sectionon Emmigrating...
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:04 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Anything we should take, can I take my spices, I make a mean curry
You can take your spices but they have to be declared and could be inspected for bugs! I asked the same question recently!!

Best of luck on the other side.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When shipping boxes (unsure about containers) the contents of the boxes must be listed. Saying which boxes contain food is essential otherwise customs may open the lot.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

you're right the mayonnaise is crap out there but unless you're going to take a lifetimes supply then you might as well get used to it
personally i wouldn't take any food because of the hassle of how strict they are, do you really want them routing through you're things
shell
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
you're right the mayonnaise is crap out there but unless you're going to take a lifetimes supply then you might as well get used to it
personally i wouldn't take any food because of the hassle of how strict they are, do you really want them routing through you're things
shell
you are quite right, I'm not going to take anything at all. I shall have to make my own mayo! Or import Hellmans!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Ditch the spices unless they're unopened, you'll be able to get most of them here anyway. If you do bring any jars/tins etc. make sure they're clearly labelled and well packed... mayo is crap here, but you can often find stuff if you're prepared to look.