Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what food is better in oz?

what food is better in oz?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Re: what food is better in oz?

BOOST and SUSHI - God I miss having my regular lunch time snack of these two! Supposedly Boost is slowly making its way over here (uk) but I can't get decent Sushi anywhere here!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:34 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Just asked the Hubby as he was there i haven't been and he said the fresh fish
Steak, calamairi rings spelt that wrong and the pies

Oh and JD and coke in a can
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:13 pm

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

coffee in a coffee shop

mine i could not cook in uk lol
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:17 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

BBQ is my thang, those bunnings sausage sizzles draw me in everytime. I also love to cook my steaks/meat on the BBQ rather than in the house.

I've had some dodgy (though nice tasting) thai and indians here where the food has been pre prepared. I asked an indian in Coolum beach for one of their dishes but could they make it mild? Their eyes glazed over and they looked confused before replying in a way that made it obvious it was pre made and just heated on the premises. I listened for the "ding" of the microwave before they brought it out.

The same with the Thai, when we asked about gluten free dishes the owner said that he couldn't read the list of ingredients on the jars because it was in thai.
There is some good and very cr*p food here.

"DING" dinners ready!!

Last edited by temptininnit; Apr 1st 2008 at 11:23 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Last time I was here I was in South Perth and the flies didn't seem so bad. I didn't ping pong but left here in 2001and came back in 2004, and now live in the The Vines - semi rural - but even now going into Autumn they are bad, and also since the rain yesterday the Blackboys are back. Is there no end to this?
That is because you live in the bush. Here in metro I can honestly say with a little aeroguard and an electronic bug killer we don't have much problem.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loubiegreen
Nice one, was actually trying to work out if someone was attempting to pull the wool, so to speak.

Lou xx
just trying to say that in uk i could'nt find UNCOOKED prawns, maybe i didn't look hard enough. but the available ones were always overcooked and rubbery
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is because you live in the bush. Here in metro I can honestly say with a little aeroguard and an electronic bug killer we don't have much problem.
Hmmmm, we live rural north of Bunbury and have to say we get bitten far worse when visiiting rellies in (roughly) central Perth than here.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:14 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer

ALL FOOD IS BETTER IN AUS BECAUSE ITS IN AUS!

So there
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by natalieml
BOOST and SUSHI - God I miss having my regular lunch time snack of these two! Supposedly Boost is slowly making its way over here (uk) but I can't get decent Sushi anywhere here!
BOOST!!!! Yes, its true its made it over to the UK, we have 2 in Manchester. Sadly though its overpriced and not as tasty! I miss my smoothies from Oz, cheap and very cheerful especially the staff, very chatty and always smiling. (notice the difference between that and general store staff here? )

SUSHI!!!! Again was the mainstay of my diet whilst backpacking around Oz, very cheap and tasty, Sushi here in the UK Tasty yes...but way overpriced once again. When I lived in Potts Point, Sydney I'd always leave the gym in the day and head over to a lovely sushi bar near bourbon on the 'cross', I even became a regular and the owner would do me a great deal on them...

Ahh memories...

One downer about Aus food is the choccy isn't the same cos of the additive they throw in it to stop it melting so quick...like wax!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all

Something I have found is the quality of the chicken is a lot better here in Oz. I do quite a bit of cooking with chicken breast fillets, and I find that where I would use 1 per person in the UK, I now use one per 2 people because they are so much better in size and quality.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen-17
Something I have found is the quality of the chicken is a lot better here in Oz. I do quite a bit of cooking with chicken breast fillets, and I find that where I would use 1 per person in the UK, I now use one per 2 people because they are so much better in size and quality.
So..... not the fish and chips then?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you on the size of the chicken breasts, but where can you buy a large cooked chicken that is bigger than a pidgeon:curse:, I want a cooked chicken bought from the same place where the chicken fillets come from

John
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:12 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Bread ???? You're not serious ?? Oz bread is like "eating paper"

Fresh fruit is definitely better and actually tastes of something
Meat in general, much fresher, less crap
Seafood, again much fresher

I agree about the watermelon, here (UK) they just taste like Water !!
Have you tried Bakers Delight bread? their hi fibre low GI bread and cape seed breads are lovely. we are both bakers and these breads get our
C x

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
So..... not the fish and chips then?
Ummm I love the fish and chips, red snapper is yummy compared to cod. C x

The chicken breasts are huge!!!! As big as Turkeys!!!!

BTW why is turkey not readily available?? C x
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:22 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Fish and chips, fish definately better chips not as good, fruit is lovely and the meat is very good also, love the coffe but have to agree on the chocolate thats not so good.

Tried chinese takeaway, didn't think it was so good, but then again its like the UK everyones different.

Lisa
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely coffee, you can't get a decent one in Blighty for love nor money!

Seafood and cocktails (not strictly a food ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.