Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What was the final cost of re-locating

What was the final cost of re-locating

Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of
Question What was the final cost of re-locating

Apologies upfront if this has been covered before. I'm sure it has but I've searched in vain.

What was the final cost of relocating for you? I have rough estimates, but I'm sure there are hidden extra's and the unexpected that can blow a budget sky-high. We're thinking Sydney or Melbourne (for work).

Cheers
-deano
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:30 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What was the final cost of re-locating

Originally Posted by deano66
Apologies upfront if this has been covered before. I'm sure it has but I've searched in vain.

What was the final cost of relocating for you? I have rough estimates, but I'm sure there are hidden extra's and the unexpected that can blow a budget sky-high. We're thinking Sydney or Melbourne (for work).

Cheers
-deano
Really depends on if you have to sell property in the uk before leaving, if you fly business class, if you ship stuff or not, if you find somewhere to live straight away, if you visa is permanent or temporary, if you are single or a family migrating and on and on....

Mine was around £15,000 but does that mean anything in the context above? You can do it alot cheaper if you are single with no stuff, renting and living with someone on arrival.

Big items: shipping, flights, visa and rent/furniture/new stuff
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Cheers
-deano
Depends on what you include in the final bill...eg, do you want flights, insurance, removals, agent fees, DIMIA fees, estae agent fees, solicitor fees. If so then our final cost was around 18 thousand pounds. Probably more with all the hidden extras.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
-deano
Gday Deano,
There was a great thread on here cpl years ago, some smartass did a spreadsheet thingymybob.

As far as I can advise: ( relative costs aside )

Make a bloody big list.
1. cash in hand
2. cash to be transferred
3. estimated living expenses whilst you look for work.
4. bond + rental
5. buying a cheap car, with rego etc.
6. kids new school uniforms, formal uniforms also are required at some state schools.
7. cost of moving furniture, exporting car ( whole can of worms explodes ), flying your pets over
8. cost of storage for container if required, cost thru quarantine, is the pet allowed in a rental, if not kenneling etc.
9. beer money and smoko cash !!

Its not that complicated.
If you have kids, register them at a school IMMEDIATELY, and also with CENTERLINK
If you are a driver, get yourself along to the test centre and redo a theory test, dont forget add a motorbike bit on, for a few dollars more !

If you are buying a home, think of proximity to work places, schools etc, shops and extra curricular activities ;0

Bank on buying yourself a small 6x4 trailer, they are indispensible.

crikey theres millions of things.. do a bloody list lol. and when you have POST IT back on here

Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
If you are a driver, get yourself along to the test centre and redo a theory test, dont forget add a motorbike bit on, for a few dollars more !
There is no theory testing anymore if you have a full UK licence.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
There is no theory testing anymore if you have a full UK licence.
Well bugger me backwards and call me Sheila.. really??

Fark. ive been here too long lol
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Well bugger me backwards and call me Sheila.. really??

Fark. ive been here too long lol

Don't worry, then only just changed it last year.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies and i agree it was a rather open and unspecific question. Having only just started 'the wait', we're beginning to organise budgets, etc.

The extras Steve (or should I say Sheila) talks about are really useful. I was going to work it all out and then add on 25% for the unexpected.

Thanks all
-d
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just worked out what we spent and it comes to approx $45 - $50k over 5 months.

That was for everything including;

A second hand car (Ford Falcoln $10k), fully insuring and registering it for a year and a 10 year driving licence for my OH.
Furnishing a 3 bed rental and paying the bond and rent for 5 months ($280 per week).
School fees, uniforms, books and a school trip for 2 kids.
Paying bills for 5 months (gas, electric, house and life insurance etc.)
Food, beer and ciggies
Days out (including one night out per week at the pub, eating in)
Electrical course and licence (roughly $900)
Petrol for a V6 car.
Christmas pressies.

It took my OH 5 months and a few days to get his electrical licence and we didn't have anything coming in, and that's what we spent from landing in July to getting his first wage in December.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Gday Deano,
There was a great thread on here cpl years ago, some smartass did a spreadsheet thingymybob.

Well, I've searched endlessly for this and b*ggered if I can find it. Any clues?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've searched endlessly for this and b*ggered if I can find it. Any clues?
i looked for it and could not find it either
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;5089245]Well bugger me backwards and call me Sheila.. really??

Loved the reply.......I almost spilt my beer laughing!
Johnnyyt