Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare, insurance, etc etc (again)

medicare, insurance, etc etc (again)

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default medicare, insurance, etc etc (again)

I have done a lot of reading on the subject and have had some good advise on here already. I just wanted to clarify my situation and check that what I'm thinking is right and if not, get some pointers.

Coming in on 457 with QLD Health. Part of my contract is to get private health insurance. OK.

Am applying for 136 from the UK which means once we get the receipt/acknowledgement letter we will be entitled to full medicare in Oz. Still OK.

Have found a website to compare insurance providers in OZ. www.iselect.com.au. Great. This is where it starts to get a bit fuzzy.

Am I right in thinking if I'm entitled to full medicare then getting private cover is an optional extra?
I just don't get the surcharge thing when you get insurance quotes. I'm sure it's really simple but for some reason my brain just doesnt get it. HCF have quoted me $108 for the family for hopital cover and have included LHC of $14.90. Is this the medicare surcharge levy? Is this good? Does this give me additional benefits I wouldnt get from normal medicare cover?

I would be really grateful for somebody who understands the whole insurance thing to give me their opinion. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Derek Dunne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medicare, insurance, etc etc (again)

Hi Mooncat

I am in Australia at the moment and thought that i would let you know that unfortunately as you are on a 457 visa you will not be able to get regular health insurance. you will need to look for overseas cover (which is not offered by www.iSelect.com.au).

As far as i know you will be entitled to most Medicare benefits as Australia and the UK have an reciprocal agreement. However only residents and citizens can apply for health insurance (unless you are on a spousal visa in which can you can have Health Insurance).

In regards to the LHC you will not have to worry about this as it only applies to those who have been in the country for over one year and do not have health insurance when over the age of 30.

The Medicare levy is a tax deduction taken from everybody but if you are to earn over $50,000 in a year an extra 1% is taken from your tax (at the end of the financial year), the extra 1% surcharge does not apply to overseas visitors as they do not have access to the full Medicare system (i am not 100% sure on this more like 80% sure).

I hope this clears the confusion up.