Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you not like about living in OZ

What do you not like about living in OZ

Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

There's lots of stuff I like - all the predictables, weather, outside lifestyle etc - but it does make me smile to read these and realise I'm not alone on my bad days...

In my time here, it comes down to
1. a level of aggression / competitiveness I didn't expect, and
2. a general lack of consideration for other people.

Driving? 1 & 2. Jingoism? Ditto. Manners, one-eyed sports commentators, the people who drop their smiles the moment they realise I'm not an Aussie... ditto, ditto, ditto. We won't be here forever, but hey, it's a great experience, I'm glad to be here and I'm bursting with character : )
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

racism (not because of the colour of your skin but because you are not australian)
brainwashing
australian humour
too far away from everything
no history...to be honest nothing to be proud of in oz except weather
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexa7
racism (not because of the colour of your skin but because you are not australian)
brainwashing
australian humour
too far away from everything
no history...to be honest nothing to be proud of in oz except weather
Apologies for splitting hairs, but that racism really isnt, if your talking the 'Pom' thing, In this case it's Xenophobia (because we are all from European stock). Big difference in law.... Same issue different name I will grant you that, and I'll agree that it seems quite prevalent outside of Sydney and Melbourne.... Not sure about Adelaide ?.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Singlism is a big thing here if you're past your twenties. It's the 'great hidden discrimination' in Oz. The tax system doesn't even recognise working singles even though their contribution makes up a large portion of tax revenue. If you're single and a female and over forty, get out fast.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Singlism is a big thing here if you're past your twenties. It's the 'great hidden discrimination' in Oz. The tax system doesn't even recognise working singles even though their contribution makes up a large portion of tax revenue. If you're single and a female and over forty, get out fast.
Australia is great for families - I recognise that. It's occured to me that a lot of people who don't like it are single - or maybe.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

No cats eyes on road, lack of lane markings making driving difficult in dark or when wet.
Police Union too powerful in Qld.
Incompetent politicians of all parties but especially in Qld.
People pushing in and not queuing.
Educational sytem.
Lack of services, respite and accommodation for mentally ill and disabled.
Lack of social housing.
Tax system that allows rich people to own multiple houses, flats and offset these on their tax.
T.V. radio presenters who swear and abbreviate words.
Lack of transport infrastructure in Qld.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by I like tea
No cats eyes on road, lack of lane markings making driving difficult in dark or when wet.
Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.
Tax system that allows rich people to own multiple houses, flats and offset these on their tax.
When u going home?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:08 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.
Queensland sure comes in for a beating.....
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mark wool
When u going home?
As soon as I am able.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Australia is great for families - I recognise that. It's occured to me that a lot of people who don't like it are single - or maybe.
I thought that too ... I am guessing that people that are after 'stimulation' are less inclined to settle.

Personally, having seen some of the world and gained some perspective I have no doubts my daughter could be brought up in a far worse place.

And really, that is all that matters.

Back on topic - The driving around here REALLY does suck
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:15 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Queensland sure comes in for a beating.....
Unless you are talking Origin
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gunn1
the people who drop their smiles the moment they realise I'm not an Aussie
There's that wacky world again...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

As soon as I am able.
Its a real shame but have talked to alot of people who seem to be taking the opportunity with the exchange rate to jump back to blighty. I can understand and wish you well. Its also a bit of a lame duck!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I thought that too ... I am guessing that people that are after 'stimulation' are less inclined to settle.

Personally, having seen some of the world and gained some perspective I have no doubts my daughter could be brought up in a far worse place.

And really, that is all that matters.

Back on topic - The driving around here REALLY does suck
I thought that too. I have now realised its not that crash hot here! HEY as parents you got to do what you think is right.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by mark wool
I thought that too. I have now realised its not that crash hot here! HEY as parents you got to do what you think is right.
Well, I aint exactly suffering, I'm happy with my life ... I can see that if you want to be at the cutting edge then maybe BrisVegas isn't it tho!

I work, I play, Everyone I care about is healthy and the bills are paid ... Can't ask for more than that ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.