British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you not like about living in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-oz-674803/)

merv63 Jul 1st 2010 1:53 pm

What do you not like about living in OZ

hi was very interested with the post 'what do you love about living in oz' and people all asked why only positive comments.

so i took the time to register to add a thread to ask what people dont like about this place, thought it would only be fair!!!!! :rofl:

anyway look forward to your comments good and bad would be interesting if we share the same views!!! :thumbsup:

Pollyana Jul 1st 2010 1:58 pm

Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8670454)
hi was very interested with the post 'what do you love about living in oz' and people all asked why only positive comments.

so i took the time to register to add a thread to ask what people dont like about this place, thought it would only be fair!!!!! :rofl:

anyway look forward to your comments good and bad would be interesting if we share the same views!!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to BE :) Hope you're ready for some of the replies. :eek:

I have to go to work in 5 hours so don't really have long enough to answer the question at the moment though.....:sneaky:

Alfresco Jul 1st 2010 2:01 pm

It's too hot (for Polly) ;)
It's too cold
It's too far away from Europe and Blighty (except for Moneypenny)
It's too expensive
It's too 70's
It's too big
It's too dull
It's too laid back
It's too monopolized
It's a nanny state

Not there yet, but looking forward to it. :rofl:

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8670461)
Welcome to BE :) Hope you're ready for some of the replies. :eek:

I have to go to work in 5 hours so don't really have long enough to answer the question at the moment though.....:sneaky:

There, I've started the list for you Polly. :lol:

renth Jul 1st 2010 2:08 pm

It's bloody expensive...

Loch Lomond Jul 1st 2010 2:26 pm

paying too much tax

neil248 Jul 1st 2010 7:53 pm

It is actually to small. Most of the population crammed into a few places around the edge. The places in Australia you would actually want to live in will be as congested as anywhere else and you are unlikely to get peace and quiet anywhere.

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2010 8:49 pm

The way other people as fortunate as me choose to live, and the way other people less fortunate than me have to live.

jad n rich Jul 1st 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 8671152)
It is actually to small. Most of the population crammed into a few places around the edge. The places in Australia you would actually want to live in will be as congested as anywhere else and you are unlikely to get peace and quiet anywhere.

:thumbup: That is one point people from the UK usually dont get. I've seen maps on here where someone will say ohh look, one aussie per 20 zquillion miles, all that space here I come.

Then they move to a mcmansion in melbourne or sydney:rofl:

Centurion Jul 1st 2010 9:06 pm

Too expensive
Nanny state
Too many levels of government for such a small population
Radio is terrible and TV worse
Non existent public transport
Housing build quality poor
Laid back is the disguise for lazy
Third world broadband or when its good its really expensive

jad n rich Jul 1st 2010 9:36 pm

Ads about stuff that tell you how 'world class' this is in OZ is when its actually a crap service/product.

Expensive and overpriced everything.

No competition in many things/markets.

The total obsession with watching large TV's.

The myth it is so sporty here, when the avg person is really lardy and the closest they get to sport is watching the large TV - previous post.

The myth about 'mateship" when there is a real backstabbing mentality here. Ask Rudd:lol:

The superior attitude of Australia in general, it is a bit brainwashy, often people dont question it, especially those who have never been overseas.

The yobbo element, some make chavs look almost classy :eek:

Summer in most bits of OZ its damn uncomfortable.

The social life, look a bbq is nice but every weekend for life is a bit unstimulating and many people dont do much more than that.

The way your neighbours 'outdoors lifestyle' means you hear their bloody noise 24/7.

How am I doing:lol: anybody about to rant read the thread title :p

The education system and lack of funding in it:(

Sugar in food products. Why is everything so sweet and BLAND.

Lack of jobs for young people 16 - 25.

The distance and cost to go anywhere.

The media, why do they put everywhere else down, eg. recently a article on Yorkshire produced a picture of coal factory stacks from about 1900:rolleyes: yep all of yorkshire is a really ugly area.

Traffic, look if you have to cram 22 million people into a few small areas, at least make the roads for them!!

I could be back later with some more:D

DeadVim Jul 1st 2010 9:52 pm

The $2 coins are too small and standard of driving around Brisbane is appalling.

That's about it.

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2010 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8671297)
Ads about stuff that tell you how 'world class' this is in OZ is when its actually a crap service/product.

Expensive and overpriced everything.

No competition in many things/markets.

The total obsession with watching large TV's.

The myth it is so sporty here, when the avg person is really lardy and the closest they get to sport is watching the large TV - previous post.

The myth about 'mateship" when there is a real backstabbing mentality here. Ask Rudd:lol:

The superior attitude of Australia in general, it is a bit brainwashy, often people dont question it, especially those who have never been overseas.

The yobbo element, some make chavs look almost classy :eek:

Summer in most bits of OZ its damn uncomfortable.

The social life, look a bbq is nice but every weekend for life is a bit unstimulating and many people dont do much more than that.

The way your neighbours 'outdoors lifestyle' means you hear their bloody noise 24/7.

How am I doing:lol: anybody about to rant read the thread title :p

The education system and lack of funding in it:(

Sugar in food products. Why is everything so sweet and BLAND.

Lack of jobs for young people 16 - 25.

The distance and cost to go anywhere.

The media, why do they put everywhere else down, eg. recently a article on Yorkshire produced a picture of coal factory stacks from about 1900:rolleyes: yep all of yorkshire is a really ugly area.

Traffic, look if you have to cram 22 million people into a few small areas, at least make the roads for them!!

I could be back later with some more:D

I seemed to be able to condense much of that into :

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8671220)
The way other people as fortunate as me choose to live, and the way other people less fortunate than me have to live.

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8671331)
The $2 coins are too small and standard of driving around Brisbane is appalling.

For me, there is nothing better than finding the small collection of coins in my pocket which turn out to be small gold ones will cover a feed at lunchtime.

Centurion Jul 1st 2010 10:36 pm

Everything is franchised for no appreciable reason other than buying into a US mentality over the issue.
Multilevel marketing businesses are alive and strong here and people buy into the concept willingly.
Property culture and the belief that your mcmansion should go up in value by at least 200% per year.
Having to use sub standard bathroom facilities located a million miles away from the restaurant you are eating in and taking the key with the large fob with you.
V8/V6/4 pot engines are clearly a measure of your manhood. The actual power output of the car itself is an alien concept.
Naff bread. Do you really need that much sugar in it ?
Stupidly high airfares compared to booking the otherway no matter what the exchange rate.
Dogs in the back of utes on rope.
Your outdoors entertaining involves 300 liters of Aeroguard and 10 mozzie coils.

bcworld Jul 1st 2010 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8671360)
I seemed to be able to condense much of that into

How clever / philosophical of you.

Geordie George Jul 1st 2010 11:08 pm

It's too cold in winter.