Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you do until shipment arrives?

What do you do until shipment arrives?

Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:23 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you do until shipment arrives?

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
We have been to Oz 4 times and rented a fully furnished holiday home and all have been really good so we intend to do this for 2 months until shipment turns up. We have been told that we will be able to get a better price too being as it will be for 8 weeks rather than 3.
Sounds good did you rent it from this end?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi Kay,

We did pretty much what Chris has described - doss in an unfurnished place for a while! We only had to put up with it for 5 weeks, because we shipped 2 weeks before we left the UK and travelled for 4 weeks en route to Aus. Except, we didn't splash out on a kettle - pan on the stove for us!

I posted a while ago about things to bring with you and stuff to buy to make the first few weeks easier, in the following thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...er#post2215034

Just something to think about when you consider weights for luggage and stuff.

GG

Was going to recommend this thread to you also, as I started it! Felt much better after reading all the replies, so hope you do too!
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Oh dear, thats a bit scary!!!!!!!!!!!

You can say that again!!!
Where do people get these photos?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:51 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Are you going straight to Oz when you move out in August?
I think we will have 6-8 weeks between moving out and our furnished rental being ready. We were already planning 4 weeks with the outlaws and other friends/family. So we then have to fill the other 2-4 weeks with either more time getting under people's feet in the UK, a stopover in somewhere like Dubai or Kuala Lumpur, get to Perth a week early and effectively treat it like a holiday or maybe even squeeze in a week having a cheap and cheerful holiday somewhere like Ibiza.

At first I thought we just want to get there and get on with it but as I am working until the day we move out virtually I am getting colds all the time as I am run down. So we are going to chill out and treat those last few weeks in the UK almost like we were tourists here and have a sort of holday at home.

Did I read you have sold now?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by worzel
Did I read you have sold now?
I wish you had sweetheart but unfortunately not its readvertised in the papers today so maybe it'll bring some new viewers

Your plans sound great sooo exciting
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:17 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you had sweetheart but unfortunately not its readvertised in the papers today so maybe it'll bring some new viewers

Your plans sound great sooo exciting
I am sure it will come good for you soon. Like Chris Mitchell, we had no viewings for a few weeks then 3 within a few days and one turned into our buyer.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:10 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good did you rent it from this end?
Yeah all were rented from this end. All found on the internet actually found two of them on www.realestate.com.au

Good Luck.
x
Old Jul 8th 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

KerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Kerry

LOL so busy trying to get the visa not even started to think about getting to the other end.

Had shippers yesterday for a quote and they said we have to be in Oz before shipment arrives and have to give them an address where we will be staying before we leave country we just looked at each other gone out.

Shipper said its ok can give hotel address.

Our stuff went with PSS, they were very relaxed about everything, yet reassuring. They said the stuff can arrive before us as long as they have copies of our passport to get it through customs for us and we will have our rental address to give to them before we leave as we cant really sort that out until a month before we go as the estate agents dont know what they have available for September yet. They are giving us free UK storage for a month and will ship it to coincide with our arrival in mid-September. So its sweet apples all the way.

PSS - Very helpful people!

Kerry
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by KerryG
Our stuff went with PSS, they were very relaxed about everything, yet reassuring. They said the stuff can arrive before us as long as they have copies of our passport to get it through customs for us and we will have our rental address to give to them before we leave as we cant really sort that out until a month before we go as the estate agents dont know what they have available for September yet. They are giving us free UK storage for a month and will ship it to coincide with our arrival in mid-September. So its sweet apples all the way.

PSS - Very helpful people!

Kerry
Hi we are using PSS the man who came said the stuff CANNOT arrive before us we have to be in the country when it arrives if we are not they will compound it and we will incur extortionate charges?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Not looked through the whole thread so dont know if these have already been posted or not....www.pabs.com.au and www.valiant.com.au these where kindly given to me by Wongson

Hope they help

Sue x
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya

Not looked through the whole thread so dont know if these have already been posted or not....www.pabs.com.au and www.valiant.com.au these where kindly given to me by Wongson

Hope they help

Sue x
HI thanks for the links Sue