Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you do until shipment arrives?

What do you do until shipment arrives?

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:25 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you do until shipment arrives?

Hi we are just wondering what we do until our stuff arrives, is it a case of sleeping on the floor or does rented accomodation come already furnished? Or at least with the basics ie cooker fridge etc

I seem to remember on a life down under they rented furniture is this expensive?

kay
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

KerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you do until shipment arrives?

Hi Kay

We have just shipped our worldly possessions but we arent leaving until September, we will catch it up and get it delivered the day after we arrive to a 6 month rental.

In the meantime we are staying in Weymouth with my Dad.

Everyone seems to do it differently, some travel for 3 months whilst the stuff is at sea, some rent furnished places, some rent furniture - sorry, but I dont know the costs involved.

Good luck!

Kerry
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by KerryG
Hi Kay

We have just shipped our worldly possessions but we arent leaving until September, we will catch it up and get it delivered the day after we arrive to a 6 month rental.

In the meantime we are staying in Weymouth with my Dad.

Everyone seems to do it differently, some travel for 3 months whilst the stuff is at sea, some rent furnished places, some rent furniture - sorry, but I dont know the costs involved.

Good luck!

Kerry
Thanks Kerry

LOL so busy trying to get the visa not even started to think about getting to the other end.

Had shippers yesterday for a quote and they said we have to be in Oz before shipment arrives and have to give them an address where we will be staying before we leave country we just looked at each other gone out.

Shipper said its ok can give hotel address.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:45 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi we are just wondering what we do until our stuff arrives, is it a case of sleeping on the floor or does rented accomodation come already furnished? Or at least with the basics ie cooker fridge etc

I seem to remember on a life down under they rented furniture is this expensive?

kay
If you rent unfurnished then buy some air beds and a few basics to eat with/on and make do untill it all arrives .
A bit like when you move in to your first place.
Try cash converters for cheap stuff off the shelf.
I have booked furnished for the weeks untill my stuff arrives next year !
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:45 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We're not taking sofas so we'll buy new sofas and probably some sort of blow up bed and probably garden table and chairs to eat from!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:48 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

kay
Hi Kay

Earlier this week we paid the deposit on the fully furnished three bedroom rental property we have chosen for the first 8 weeks. We have a cooker, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc etc - the only thing we need to provide is bed linen but the agents have given us the details of a nearby "laundromat" which hires this out. It's costing us $380 per week and is approx one hour north of Sydney.

It's a bit scary arranging this without seeing it or knowing the area at all but you don't really know what you are getting when you book a holiday, do you? After all, it's only 8 weeks! :scared: (But it is close to the beach! )

Binbird
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

Thanks Kerry

LOL so busy trying to get the visa not even started to think about getting to the other end.

Had shippers yesterday for a quote and they said we have to be in Oz before shipment arrives and have to give them an address where we will be staying before we leave country we just looked at each other gone out.

Shipper said its ok can give hotel address.

We are wondering about this too at the moment...
We have made enquiries to a couple of real estate places in Oz about renting from England so that rental is done and dusted before we arrive, so we have somewhere to get the stuff delivered to, but this isnt ideal a you are paying for rental when you arent in the country, and they also need someone to view the property in Oz- we have a relative that could do this.

I know this might seem mad to some people who wouldnt dream of renting from this end and paying extra but I have a 2 month old baby (he will be about 7 months when we go) and I cant imagine living in a hotel and seeing where we end up when we get there- I need to be organised!!!!

Our plans will probably end up changing though, just like a few others we arent sure of the best way to go about things

Donna
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Kay

Earlier this week we paid the deposit on the fully furnished three bedroom rental property we have chosen for the first 8 weeks. We have a cooker, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc etc - the only thing we need to provide is bed linen but the agents have given us the details of a nearby "laundromat" which hires this out. It's costing us $380 per week and is approx one hour north of Sydney.

It's a bit scary arranging this without seeing it or knowing the area at all but you don't really know what you are getting when you book a holiday, do you? After all, it's only 8 weeks! :scared: (But it is close to the beach! )

Binbird
Hi Binbird that sounds good how did you get the info re the accomodation?

I know we are going to Tas not sydney but any link will help

sorry got to go know (bloody unexpected visitor just turned up) I'll check back later thanks for all your replies
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:02 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Binbird that sounds good how did you get the info re the accomodation?

I know we are going to Tas not sydney but any link will help

sorry got to go know (bloody unexpected visitor just turned up) I'll check back later thanks for all your replies
We eventually booked through a realestate site local to the area we were searching but another helpful company was: http://www.stayz.com.au.

We were basically searching rental properties through www.realestate.com.au but I am sure you know that one already.

Good luck with your Tas search.

Binbird
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

peelatata is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the shipment will not get there, take a look at these container ship photos:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=15933&stc=1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=15934&stc=1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=15935&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails What do you do until shipment arrives?-003.jpg   What do you do until shipment arrives?-005.jpg   What do you do until shipment arrives?-8boxenade.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2005, 10:46 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we are just wondering what we do until our stuff arrives, is it a case of sleeping on the floor or does rented accomodation come already furnished?
We plan to rent a fully furnished place until our stuff arrives.

Obviously, that's more expensive than renting unfurnished. But I thought, if we "camp" in an unfurnished place on an air mattress, sit on garden chairs, and eat out of a couple of plastic bowls for up to 12 weeks until our stuff arrives ... in a strange country, knowing nobody, not having any jobs - I think it would be really depressing

The first weeks are going to be hard enough as it is. I need *some* creature comforts.

Gina
Old Jul 7th 2005, 10:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Try here

http://www.big4.com.au/

The cabins are great value and have evrything you could need in them (if you join you get 10% off too) It also worth haggling with them for a longer stay cheaper especially in off peak season
Old Jul 7th 2005, 11:07 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Try here

http://www.big4.com.au/

The cabins are great value and have evrything you could need in them (if you join you get 10% off too) It also worth haggling with them for a longer stay cheaper especially in off peak season
Hi Hevs,

this is looking really good! The link is now on my "list of useful links" and we'll be checking out the Perth ones on our reccie.

Thanks.

Gina
Old Jul 7th 2005, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Hevs,

this is looking really good! The link is now on my "list of useful links" and we'll be checking out the Perth ones on our reccie.

Thanks.

Gina
I can vouch for the woodman point one, its lovely
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation

kay
I think some of this depends on what you are willing to put up with.
If you're happy to sleep on a blow up mattress, sit in camp chairs and eat from picnic plates then you can pretty much rent an unfurnished place.
Most places will have a cooker, so we knew that the only other major item we'd need was a fridge. A second hand one cost us $500. We also bought some camp chairs, a picnic set for plates and cutlery, a cheap saucepan, iron, kettle and stuff from BigW for around $250.
This set us up and was ok for 2 months until our shipment arrived. We did end up eating out lots, which isn't a real hardship!
Good luck with your move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.