Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do we want from this site......?

What do we want from this site......?

Old Nov 20th 2004, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do we want from this site......?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I've looked at this question a couple of times over the course of today. And I'm finally only replying because I've been to the pub at lunchtime, so have decided to sod it!

Being a newbie, I've logged on to try and gauge other people's experiences and opinions. See what they've looked forward to, what set backs they've had ... Have even signed up to the Midlands meet to get in touch with like-minded people who understand and don't think hubbie and I are batty for wanting to give Aus a try. And they're the positives. We've found it a great site and very helpful and even though I'm much more of a 'sit back and watch' kinda person, rather than a contributer, I've got a lot out of it.

Having said all that, the thing I really don't like about this site is the way some people are prepared to attack others with a different point of view; particularly new posters. There are a number of times when I've wanted to post something and thought better of it for fear (OK, maybe too strong a word, but you get the idea) of being shouted down; or worse - labelled a troll! And that's such a shame. New people shouldn't have to feel that this kind of site is clique and only open to those with lots of stars!

Anyway, that's just me. I will keep logging and and observing. And these are just my thoughts ... But it's a great thread and I feel better!

Thanks

Really interesting to read yur opinion, (even if you have been
on the grog !) you really should not (IN MY OPINION) feel this way - BUT I totally understand where you are coming from.

When I was in UK, feeling really anxious about the unknown, not knowing if we were going to be accepted by DIMIA, I entered this site asking many a mundane (and some what stupid - I didn't understand about 'search' questions) and what hurt me was that some people were really sarcastic and treated me with distain - not many - but some. I felt like I shouldn't post, but should stay silent and just read the posts other people were brave enough to post.

Now in Aus, I try to offer advice, as I say I am no expert, just personal experiences. Unfortunately, the worries I have now are, am I been boring or worst still, am I being condersending to the people in the UK ! I don't think you can win, as excellent as this site is, it does have a tendancy to make you paranoid !!!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey surfdude.

Please post - would love to hear how you are finding things, your experiences etc. I don't think you would bore and am sure us lot back here would be interested. Forget condescending. The fact that you worry you might, tells me you won't - if that makes sense.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

I come on here because i like playing chopper challenge in the arcade section

Alot of our concerns are either quickly answered or directed elsewhere for further research.Also with eyes and ears on the east coast you sometimes get a feel for what you may come up against with peoples helpful posts.

As for the arguements i don,t think i could get involved with a row while sat on my computer 1. it would,nt seem the same
2. i can,t type fast enough

good thread dave
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:40 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marysidey
Well said Sue I log on for news and advice and where I can share my limited experience to help others
I feel I have made friends and going to the other side of the world will be less daunting knowing there are others in the same situation
its a great site but I think when the put you down posts appear it does spoil things but as they say everyone is entitied to their opinions and the might of the forum usually reigns supreme and they disapear into their own sad lonely ether and leave the rest of us to get on with our friendly harmless but very helpful and welcome banter

love mary

Hey great minds think alike! Couldnt hav put it better myself.
I too hav made a lot of great new friends on this site and goin to the NW meet on Saturday will meet more.
It is a great place to be and very helpful in the process
What do we get out of this site??? What a silly question......no arguments please......

where would we be without it
Love
Ang
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We always found the site useful when we went through the whole visa process, and we like to keep coming back to hopefully help others who are going through everything perhaps we did at the time.
Sometimes its great on here, others not so good when people are being very abusive, but i suppose we are all different aren't we
We will keep posting on here as we have made some great friends here, which has been a godsend to us whilst settling.
So just keep posting useful information, and keep asking questions (no matter how daft you may feel they are) this is what people want and thats what this forum is all about i thought.
Joanne
Old Nov 21st 2004, 5:53 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Oh.....and I met someone here who has transformed my life......that's a good reason to come here too!
OMG it's not Mike Stanton, is it?

Tony, you know you can be frank with us lot...

Anya.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:18 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Anya.
No it can't be him, he said the person 'transformed' his life, not 'ruined it'.
Anyway Mike stanton is already taken to a women called Dotty who used to be a regular on this site.

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 21st 2004 at 6:27 am.

Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:19 am
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by wombat42
No it can't be him, he said the person 'transformed' his life, not 'ruined it'.
Anyway Mike stanton is already taken to a women called Dotty who used to be a regular on this site.
l thought he was married to Kong

Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:59 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Anya.
Do you know something that I don't :scared:

And who the hell is frank !!

Cas
Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:22 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

Cas
It's OK - have no fear - Frank is best mates with Earnest!

Anya.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
Cas......I've been meaning to come clean for some time......
I'm seeing you! Yes, I've been meaning to tell you for some time.....
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Cas......I've been meaning to come clean for some time......
I'm seeing you! Yes, I've been meaning to tell you for some time.....
OMG - I was wondering who that strange bloke was !
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - I was wondering who that strange bloke was !
Hey! Not so much of the 'bloke'!

Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! Not so much of the 'bloke'!

Hes right, you leave The Bloke out of ti....he's mine!!!