Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do we want from this site......?

What do we want from this site......?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:28 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do we want from this site......?

I've looked at this question a couple of times over the course of today. And I'm finally only replying because I've been to the pub at lunchtime, so have decided to sod it!

Being a newbie, I've logged on to try and gauge other people's experiences and opinions. See what they've looked forward to, what set backs they've had ... Have even signed up to the Midlands meet to get in touch with like-minded people who understand and don't think hubbie and I are batty for wanting to give Aus a try. And they're the positives. We've found it a great site and very helpful and even though I'm much more of a 'sit back and watch' kinda person, rather than a contributer, I've got a lot out of it.

Having said all that, the thing I really don't like about this site is the way some people are prepared to attack others with a different point of view; particularly new posters. There are a number of times when I've wanted to post something and thought better of it for fear (OK, maybe too strong a word, but you get the idea) of being shouted down; or worse - labelled a troll! And that's such a shame. New people shouldn't have to feel that this kind of site is clique and only open to those with lots of stars!

Anyway, that's just me. I will keep logging and and observing. And these are just my thoughts ... But it's a great thread and I feel better!

Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:33 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do we want from this site......?

People get really wound up in here! I think it is a hoot, I don't think any of it is is personal.

Some posters post a thread just to get a reaction, just remember Balushi and AARub, he was a twat, but so funny with his prejudices and misconceptions about white people, as I am sure we had about Arab folk.

I come on here to help people if I can, but if it ends in a bit of a tiff i don't loose sleep over it.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:48 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

At first it was brilliant to find people going through the same thing so I could find out anything and everything to do with visa's as even some of the best agents out there don't know as much as everyone's brains put together on this site.....which I thank you all for

I do hate the bitching and the slagging off on this site. It annoys me when people just don't agree with someone's comments on the site and then they just get attacked from all angles. Half the time it is the people attacking that write the most offensive posts not the original poster. That is life though I suppose but I do tend to choose what I post up as this process is stressful enough without adding to it!

Sasha
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:56 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
I'm a newby and finding this sight has removed the dark cloud that's been looming above my head just recently. I was so fed up of the waiting, the worrying and the feeling of isolation as no-one I know has any real knowledge of this subject. Mostly people only have negative stuff to say like

"Oooh it's really hard to get into Australia you know, and it takes years, I won't be surprised if you don't get in".

It's great to come on here and get actual informed advice from people who have experienced or are experiencing the same things.

I'm from Manchester and have just heard about the NW meet so we'll be going to that, it's a great idea.

And reading posts from PRs who have made it oz is great too. As someone has already said, you can watch tv and read books, but there's nothing like first hand advice from those in the know.

I'm hoping to head for Brisbane with my husband and 2 kids next year (seams like a lot of us Mancs are off to Brissy!) so, now I've stopped worrying about our meds, I'll be using the sight to get info on Brisbane suburbs. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers All
Rach
Hey Gaz&Rach...

Keep looking at the Oz/NZ immigration forum. It was an amazing source of advice when we were doing our application.

As you say though, this "lifestyle" forum will be good for you as well.
Most people on this one have aready gone through the mill / loooonnnggg wait etc. & are enjoying life in Oz.

The thread reads: What do we want from this site?

I think the site provides a lifeline for people who are waiting for visas, cos you get sweet FA from DIMIA while you are in the queue!! (18 months in our case).

As I said, those of us who are lucky enough to be now living in Oz use the forum to give advice to people / meet up / talk shite / advise on the best pubs to go to / argue about where the best place to live is / talk shite / universally slag off the TV in Oz / bit more advice / moan (not me, although I've just broken my back!) / rant on about something (usually get shot down as a troll!) / Holden-Ford, let's not even go there! / come home after hours of furious drinking and log on at 3 in the morning with a single minded goal to solve all the problems of the Universe,..... i.e. talk blatant gobshite!!!

And that's just me.......

Cheers.... John....
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
People get really wound up in here! I think it is a hoot, I don't think any of it is is personal.
Unfortunately, there are times when it does get personal, which is a shame. I;m sure long-standingposters can remember occasions, and I personally now people who post very little now because they hate these attacks.

However, that said.....why do I post? Especially now I'm in Oz, been here a year, married and settled.......
When I started applying for a fiance visa I found the site a tremendous help. All my questions answered, plenty of support - I want to return that now. Most people are coming on a skills/independent visa. Spouse/Pros Spouse/De Facto are rarer, so I like to help people out - bit like repaying the debt where people helped me.
I also made some fantastic friends in the UK through the forum, most of whom are now over here too. After some very successful meets we have kept in touch, and the forum still acts as a link. Since then, I have met new friends here (take a bow, the Brisbane Girls Drinking Club, amongst others). When you get here, one of the hardest things to do is make new friends, especially if you marry an Aussie who alreadyhas his pals, so you have to branch out alone. In person I am actually very shy, and have zero self-confidence; being able to establish a friendship on here first has made the actually meeting of people a lot easier. One reason for the Drnking Club - and for the fact we hope to meet once a month in 2005 - is to help newbies settle and feel they are not alone. No-one is obligated to stick with us, you may never want to see us again after one night, but if we can help people feel part of Brisbane, thats what we want.
So I guess all I want from the site now is for it to give me a chance to help people out, to post reality, and to maybe make it easier for people coming over now. Think how hard the first migrants had it when they arrived........it should be easier for each successive generation, because although the strangeness of everything will remain, people now should be more prepared for what they find.

Oh, and being purely selfish, I want the forum to be there when I need to let off steam - I am sure no problem I have here is unique; that is a big advantage of a forum like this - you post your mountain, and suddenly it becomes a molehill because other people have been there and can help you through.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:07 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

i want a spellchecker for when i am half drunk!! and writing long threads.

Seriously, the site has been a life saver for me & Donna, new cyber pals!! useful info, differences of opinion!! the whole package makes it what it is!!

Malcolm
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I come here for very similar reasons, though I disagree with a lot more people then I let on, I just don't respond nine times out of ten otherwise I would be arguing here constantly and I don't think that's what this site is really about at all.

I'm happy to concede a point or be put right about certain things as I, like others, have garnered a great deal of useful, informative and entertaining info in my short time here, and there are many wiser folks here than me.

Sometimes the arguments are entertaining and I'll sit back and watch, but sometimes I feel very strongly that something needs to be said. This doesn't have to involve attacking someone, just giving another perspective.

Oh.....and I met someone here who has transformed my life......that's a good reason to come here too!
How lovely - who's that then ?

Since I have been logging onto this site I have met some great people, both virtually and in reality - people I have grown to consider as friends (and more).
The site is informative and fun too, and has become a bit of a 'lifeline' when things have gone arse-up.
To be able to talk with people who are like-minded is brilliant; people who don't make you feel stupid if you ask a stupid question, and who can understand the stress and the sheer joy of what we are doing.

I'd like to say a BIG thankyou to all involved - even JAJ for totally confusing me with some of his replies!! (only joking - please don't ban me!)

Cas x
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=carolinegorka]How lovely - who's that then ? [QUOTE]

Aaawwwww that is so cute the site must be worthwhile if only because it got these two together
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=moneypen20][QUOTE=carolinegorka]How lovely - who's that then ?

Aaawwwww that is so cute the site must be worthwhile if only because it got these two together
I'll second that, and I'm sure Tony would third it
Cas
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
I'm hoping to head for Brisbane with my husband and 2 kids next year (seams like a lot of us Mancs are off to Brissy!) so, now I've stopped worrying about our meds, I'll be using the sight to get info on Brisbane suburbs. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Have a look at http://www.ourbrisbane.com for info on Brisbane suburbs, and if you are looking at the Redlands Bayside area, let me know, as it isn't covered by that site.

Why do I come one here just about every day ? I don't have a clue

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why do I come one here just about every day ? I don't have a clue
Because you love us and we love you
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:06 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'll second that, and I'm sure Tony would third it
Cas
And I'll fourth it! Oh wait.....I've already thirded it!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:07 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Because you love us and we love you
Now it's my turn to say awwwwww.......
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately, there are times when it does get personal, which is a shame. I;m sure long-standingposters can remember occasions, and I personally now people who post very little now because they hate these attacks.

However, that said.....why do I post? Especially now I'm in Oz, been here a year, married and settled.......
When I started applying for a fiance visa I found the site a tremendous help. All my questions answered, plenty of support - I want to return that now. Most people are coming on a skills/independent visa. Spouse/Pros Spouse/De Facto are rarer, so I like to help people out - bit like repaying the debt where people helped me.
I also made some fantastic friends in the UK through the forum, most of whom are now over here too. After some very successful meets we have kept in touch, and the forum still acts as a link. Since then, I have met new friends here (take a bow, the Brisbane Girls Drinking Club, amongst others). When you get here, one of the hardest things to do is make new friends, especially if you marry an Aussie who alreadyhas his pals, so you have to branch out alone. In person I am actually very shy, and have zero self-confidence; being able to establish a friendship on here first has made the actually meeting of people a lot easier. One reason for the Drnking Club - and for the fact we hope to meet once a month in 2005 - is to help newbies settle and feel they are not alone. No-one is obligated to stick with us, you may never want to see us again after one night, but if we can help people feel part of Brisbane, thats what we want.
So I guess all I want from the site now is for it to give me a chance to help people out, to post reality, and to maybe make it easier for people coming over now. Think how hard the first migrants had it when they arrived........it should be easier for each successive generation, because although the strangeness of everything will remain, people now should be more prepared for what they find.

Oh, and being purely selfish, I want the forum to be there when I need to let off steam - I am sure no problem I have here is unique; that is a big advantage of a forum like this - you post your mountain, and suddenly it becomes a molehill because other people have been there and can help you through.
Well said once again Pollyanna!

You've already answered some very important questions of mine, and I still owe you that drink!

Keep posting and introspecting, and see what you can do to encourage the folks who've drifted away to make a come back. I'm sure they'd be welcomed with open arms back into the BE fold!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: What do we want from this site......?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Cos it's entertaining, informative and full of like minded people. The odd argument is ok but when ar**holes take the piss it takes all the fun out of it.

I love playing devils advocate, but you just can't do it on sites like this because some people just don't get irony and can't see your facial expressions to know exactly what you are saying.

If numpties just thought for a couple of minutes before replying to posts, things would be a lot calmer.

Saying that, if it's a row that has nothing to do with me, it can be very funny (for a while) watching people get stroppy over a simple misunderstanding.

I was wondering how best to answer, but it seems I have been beaten to it. GOOD ANSWER!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.