Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do with valuables when moving

What to do with valuables when moving

Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default What to do with valuables when moving

Did any of you put your jewellery in with the stuff to be shipped or did you take it with you? I dont know whether to put it in the container or take it in the suitcase. I dont know what customs will think if they find a lot of jewellery in my suitcase. I dont fancy flying wearing several necklaces, rings and bracelets.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to do with valuables when moving

Originally Posted by cybie
Did any of you put your jewellery in with the stuff to be shipped or did you take it with you? I dont know whether to put it in the container or take it in the suitcase. I dont know what customs will think if they find a lot of jewellery in my suitcase. I dont fancy flying wearing several necklaces, rings and bracelets.
Putting it in my hand luggage
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

I'm planning on taking most of my jewellry in my handluggage, especially sentimental unreplaceable items... Some other unexpensive earrings etc might just go in the container...
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:24 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

I put mine in my hand luggage. Get a jewellery roll (or 2) soft ones are better as they are smaller than the stiff leather ones. Put all your jewellery in there it saves having to take boes etc and put the empty boxes in the container if you want to keep them.

Never put anything you value in your luggage or container. 70% of all the boxes in our container were opened by AQIS. This makes it very easy for items to go missing.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 10:28 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

If you reads the shipping insurance it says valuables such as jewellery shouldn't be shipped.

put your jewellery in your hand luggage it is the only safe place and customs etc understand when you explain you are emigrating
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:02 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

or in your handbag if big enough (the one you keep under the eat in front rather than in the overhead locker, Big pain carrying a heavy bag of jewellery but it's the only option.

also I would probably put it in a zip up cosmetics/sponge bag rather than a jewellery roll so it looks less obviously valuable
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:30 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoolsB
also I would probably put it in a zip up cosmetics/sponge bag rather than a jewellery roll so it looks less obviously valuable
Actually a jewellery roll is long and flat unless you have a tiara so it lies flat in the bottom of a handbag. It also seperates everything into compartments. I have travelled a lot and alway take my jewellery with me this way. A cosmetic/sponge bag is too bulky unless you travel with a bag the size of a bucket.

I only ever take a handbag on any flight as I can't be bothered with all the hasle of having loads of hand luggage. Coming here though we had a handbag, laptop bag and one smallish holdall which had shoes in it as they would have put our luggage over weight.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I put costume jewellery in the container and carried valuable jewellery in my handluggage. The only bugbear was that it really dented my 5kg handluggage allowance, and I had to take irreplaceable paparwork in there too e.g. all my exam certificates. In the end I got my handluggage case down to 7kg and just thought i'll pay the extra if I'm pulled because I couldn't get it any lighter.

Before I boarded the plane, I removed anything I needed on the flight and kept it in a drawstring bag I could just squish under the seat. I padlocked the case and put it in the locker, so I didn't have to worry about anything.

No-one in Oz batted an eyelid about the heap of jewellery in my handluggage. Only in Belfast, because it was unusual, and when I explained my circumstances, the security staff were great, wished me well in my new life etc.

Last edited by Rainydaze; Dec 13th 2008 at 12:36 am. Reason: clarification
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

My shippers refused to pack the jewellry
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marvinc
Putting it in my hand luggage
we went from perth to heathrow via dubai in june this year to see family before we go back to scotland this year for good. anyway had earrings in a small pouch in hand luggage.because we bought whisky in dubai and they didnt seal it or whatever it had to go into hand luggage from heathrow to aberdeen.family started on whisky and i found my earrings gone.no proof of ownership and not worth the hassle but upsetting as sappire and diamond ones were for our 25th wedding anniversary from oh
Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
we went from perth to heathrow via dubai in june this year to see family before we go back to scotland this year for good. anyway had earrings in a small pouch in hand luggage.because we bought whisky in dubai and they didnt seal it or whatever it had to go into hand luggage from heathrow to aberdeen.family started on whisky and i found my earrings gone.no proof of ownership and not worth the hassle but upsetting as sappire and diamond ones were for our 25th wedding anniversary from oh
That's so crap. Reinforces my own paranoia when travelling with valuables.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:17 pm
The Brains

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Sorry to hear about your lost earings. It's not the cost it's the sentimental and emotional value which is irreplaceable.

That's the reason I travel with the flat jewelery roll at the bottom of my bag, it's too big to just loose or be taken out by anyone also to large to just fall out with all my other junk (oh description) on top.