Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do with the things you dont take??

What to do with the things you dont take??

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:19 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default What to do with the things you dont take??

I'm not taking much with me posession wise, and wondered what everone else did or is planning to do with the stuff they dont want to take over.

I'm giving some things away, sold a couple of bits to mates, but what about the rest? Free ads? Car boot? House clearers???

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: What to do with the things you dont take??

Originally posted by loose
I'm not taking much with me posession wise, and wondered what everone else did or is planning to do with the stuff they dont want to take over.

I'm giving some things away, sold a couple of bits to mates, but what about the rest? Free ads? Car boot? House clearers???

We are in a similar position.

I am planning to try and persuade the people buying our house (and subsequently renting it back to us for 6 months) to buy some of the major items from us (dishwasher, fridge, washing machine, etc). They are first time buyers and hopefully it could be a win-win situation.

The rest of the stuff we will put in the local paper and we will do a couple of car boot sales nearer to Christmas.

Now isnt a good time to sell stuff because most people are saving for holidays etc

Dave
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:27 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I sold stuff in the local paper, to family/friends, I gave stuff away to family and friends, car boot and the last stuff some ikea shelving my dad is try to sell for me.

We cleared 2 houses and only brought sentimental stuff 7 tea chests of stuff

Jo
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If it's really junk then the local tip may be the only option.

Otherwise you should get in touch with some local charities, to see if they can take things either to pass directly onto the needy or to sell/raffle to raise funds.

Jeremy

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:44 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents moved house after 35 years, the had loads of junk. They gave a lot of it away, took so much to the charity shop that they got banned from bringing any more and took the remainder to the tip (had to stop my dad coming back with more than he'd taken every time he went to the tip. Little hoarder that he is).We'll doubtless do the same, but may also car boot some of it

BTW, most councils will take away a certain amount of the hefty stuff, if you ask nicely. MMW has just sorted this out. Mind you, anything we leave out for the council to take (most recently our old bed) disappears in about 2 seconds....
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

E-bay!!!!!

I have sold so much stuff on there, about £1000 worth of smaller items, it is amazing what you can sell on there! Stuff I was going to chuck I put on and cost around 50p per item, e.g. got £45 for a motorbike jacket that was going to go to the dump!

Cheers!

ST
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

when we left i called our local sue ryder shop, they came along with a van and took everything we had left, it was great i didnt have to dispose of anything myself.

Lynn
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I was lucky - my dad is a collectomaniac, he's still got some of our useless stuff stashed in his garage, you never know it might be useful for someone one day (his words not mine)!! the rest of the family and friends seemed chuffed to get some stuff, but I think that was just them being nice!! Charity shops did well out of us. As did the tip raiders.

Mandy
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:06 pm
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lynnj
when we left i called our local sue ryder shop, they came along with a van and took everything we had left, it was great i didnt have to dispose of anything myself.

Lynn
I rang them to see if they'd take my wife but no luck, guess she'll have to come with me now.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

gotthevisa is an unknown quantity at this point

We did loads of tripsto car boot sales. But brought most of our big furniute with us (from advice from varoius contributers to this web site). In hindsight I would have left/sold most of my stuff as most of it was modern Ikea style furnituree and it is similarily priced here and British furniture does not suit the brick or very modern style houses (i've not seen it set in the colonial or queenslander style houses though). But having said that if we all had a crystal ball.................................. I know of a million and one one things we should have brought and others we should have left behind.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ebay

We're already getting rid of our smaller stuff on ebay (not expecting to leave until next year). We have already covered the cost of both our Skiills Assessments via ACS and are well on the way to covering our Visa costs.

Ebay is great and listing an item with a starting price of less than £1 with no reserve is only 15p. Having sold so much "junk" on ebay anything that could possibly be sold I try for a week on ebay before giving it to a charity shop or binning it.

Larger furniture (our is all Ikea so we aren't going to bother transporting it) will go in Loot and the Local Supermarket. White goods I hope to leave with the house since all will be over 6 years old at that point,

HTH