What do I do?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default What do I do?

I know that no amount of advice is going to make me do anything other than what I think, BUT, what would you do in my situation:

Hubby has a job to start in Brisbane on 21st November. Everything is set to go: flights are booked for 10th November, accommodation for a month from 11th November, shippers due to come and move our stuff in less than five weeks on 12th Oct....but, we haven't got our visas
Ok, in 9 weeks time, we could have them, in which case there will be no problem. When we lodged, the processing time for MODL (particularly nurses), was about four months. Now it looks like it could take 5-6.
Do we: move everything back a month and plan to fly a month later ?(hospital have offered a new start date of 16th Jan) which means we'll need more money to live off, or: do we fly after Xmas when flights will be really pricey, or: do we just risk it and hope the visas arrive in time to fly in 9 weeks time?

HELP!

There is just no way of knowing is there?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:48 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do?

Originally Posted by Robbo2
I know that no amount of advice is going to make me do anything other than what I think, BUT, what would you do in my situation:

Hubby has a job to start in Brisbane on 21st November. Everything is set to go: flights are booked for 10th November, accommodation for a month from 11th November, shippers due to come and move our stuff in less than five weeks on 12th Oct....but, we haven't got our visas
Ok, in 9 weeks time, we could have them, in which case there will be no problem. When we lodged, the processing time for MODL (particularly nurses), was about four months. Now it looks like it could take 5-6.
Do we: move everything back a month and plan to fly a month later ?(hospital have offered a new start date of 16th Jan) which means we'll need more money to live off, or: do we fly after Xmas when flights will be really pricey, or: do we just risk it and hope the visas arrive in time to fly in 9 weeks time?

HELP!

OMG what a dilemma. Have you given notice to your uk job(s) yet? If not then moving things back a month could be the safer option. But then again it could come through as soon as you have decided to do that and then you would be kicking yourselves.

I wish you the very best of luck, and I really really hope you hear from them soon. Are you using an agent, or going it alone?

Shirley
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:53 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Probably easy for me to say as I am not in your current position, but I would be inclined to leave things for a couple more weeks and if you still have not heard anything then maybe consider changing your arrangements. I understood that nurses were fast tracked through the system, so I'm sure it won't be too much longer. good luck to you and fingers crossed you hear very soon x
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:30 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

HELP!

Ikes, what a dilemna! When we applied way back visas for nurses were taking at least 9-12 months and for all other applications 2 years. That was in the days of London processing. Four months is certainly an improvement but it must be awful for you right now. If you've not handed in your notice I would hold off and then head out, especially if the hospital will hold hubby's job. But as you say nothing anyone can say can make that decision for you. Fingers and every other bit crossed for you guys right now.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ub40fan
OMG what a dilemma. Have you given notice to your uk job(s) yet? If not then moving things back a month could be the safer option. But then again it could come through as soon as you have decided to do that and then you would be kicking yourselves.

I wish you the very best of luck, and I really really hope you hear from them soon. Are you using an agent, or going it alone?

Shirley

Yep, we've given notice as we're both so fed up! But, it's not all bad as we're nurses and can do agency work very easily. Maybe we shouldn't have been so optimistic? The flights are easy to change (Singapore Airlines), if it's before 10th Dec, as prices go up then.
We are going it alone, we haven't used an agent, but don't regret that. The support form BE has been incredible!
Thanks so much.
Claire
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we've given notice as we're both so fed up! But, it's not all bad as we're nurses and can do agency work very easily. Maybe we shouldn't have been so optimistic? The flights are easy to change (Singapore Airlines), if it's before 10th Dec, as prices go up then.
We are going it alone, we haven't used an agent, but don't regret that. The support form BE has been incredible!
Thanks so much.
Claire

Don't think you've been to optimistic. We never used an agent either and certainly were thankful for the help of BE. I really hope things get sorted soon. Keep us posted if only to scream!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:47 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.
Claire
Hey, optimism is good. What is the alternative? We are applying without an agent too, I think if the case isn't complicated by other factors, then with the advice you can get from kind souls on here, and some common sense it should go ok.

If you have till the 10th Dec to change the flights with no penalty, how long before you need to let them know about the job?

As Mrs JFW said, leave things a couple of weeks and re-assess the situation, 14 days is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things is it?

Shirley
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.
Claire
claire, i think i would sit and wait until mid oct, you may have the visas then, if not, maybe consider putting things back a month

whatever you decide, goodluck

Trish
xx
Old Sep 11th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok Guys, we've made a decision....

After a weekend away and time to breathe (and no access to BE!), we're postponing our move for a month. Have re-booked accommodation this evening and will phone Singapore Airlines in the morning

I bet the visa's will arrive in time for the original flight date now! I think that is a risk we're going to have to take, better that way round, than the stress and worry of them not arriving in time.

Thanks for all your support everyone!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:23 pm
eggs84

Smile Re: What do I do?

Ok Guys, we've made a decision....

After a weekend away and time to breathe (and no access to BE!), we're postponing our move for a month. Have re-booked accommodation this evening and will phone Singapore Airlines in the morning

I bet the visa's will arrive in time for the original flight date now! I think that is a risk we're going to have to take, better that way round, than the stress and worry of them not arriving in time.

Thanks for all your support everyone!
Hi Claire,I am a nurse and was feeling pretty confident about my application as were our agents but there has been a set back with DIMIA requesting much more info concerning my employment.This has set us back weeks and we are not going to book anything until we have heard from them that we`ve been successful with our application. Good luck to you though hopefully all will go well.

Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:41 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eggs84
Hi Claire,I am a nurse and was feeling pretty confident about my application as were our agents but there has been a set back with DIMIA requesting much more info concerning my employment.This has set us back weeks and we are not going to book anything until we have heard from them that we`ve been successful with our application. Good luck to you though hopefully all will go well.

Oh my gosh, and you say you used an agent?? did they not read your refs prior to sending them?? i would be abit angry at that

what other info did they require out of interest?

amanda
Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:52 pm
eggs84

Wink Re: What do I do?

Originally Posted by amanda76
Oh my gosh, and you say you used an agent?? did they not read your refs prior to sending them?? i would be abit angry at that

what other info did they require out of interest?

amanda
Apparently new employee at DIMIA- our agents very good and were as surprised as us.Some of the hospital documents we sent not on headed paper such as job descriptions,needed more proof of employment so copies P60s etc sent and copies of contract.Really hope that this will be accepted now as can`t take much more stress.Hoping to go to Brisbane in very near future.

Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:23 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we did not go the MODL route, but a while after sending the police checks & other documents they required, we sent an email to our case officer to confirm receipt and if it was possible she could estimate when a decision was to be made.

A week later we had email from her to say we had new CO and also another email to say the visas had been granted.

So how about contacting your CO if you know who it is?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Now what do I do?

Have spent a total of 4 and a half hours on the telephone over the last two days trying to contact Singapore Airlines to change our flights, but to no avail.

Have been in a queue on three occasions waiting for an hour each time and then had to give up. This morning when I got through after half an hour, I was cut off! This is so frustrating.

They might be busy, but then so am I, and it's costing me a fortune!
I've sent them two stroppy emails but I'm at a complete loss now. The other phone numbers are also busy and when I get through to them they just ask me to phone the original number.

I am so fed up!