Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do about Pensions ?

What to do about Pensions ?

Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough
Smile What to do about Pensions ?

I have been pondering about what to do with my pension.
Firstly I have a private pension with a bit of cash in it. Should I keep it in the uk and use it as spends for when we visit?
I don't think it will be a substantial amount of money.
The other option would be to transfer it to my current Australian work pension probably at the risk of losing quite a bit of it through fees and wotnot.

My second conundrum is the uk government pension which I'm about 4 or 5 years off contributing to get the full pension. I have the opportunity to pay off those last few years. I was thinking of doing that and when the time comes have my pension paid into my english bank accounts and I can transfer it over myself.
Someone then told me I can't get both uk and aus pensions as they are both linked somehow and I have to choose.
so, if I retire here in oz(which I prob will) would the years paid into the uk count towards my aus pension ?

Does anyone know about pension stuff ?
Thnx
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do about Pensions ?

The Australian pension isn't a given, it's a means tested Centrelink benefit and there is no guarantee you will get it, especially if you have contributed to a private super fund for a while so it's not like the UK pension scheme at all (i.e. its a benefit not an entitlement).

They will require you to apply for your UK pension anyway before they will consider you for Centrelink payments so you might as well top it up.

If you are going to spend the rest of your days in Australia then you can transfer your other pensions but if there is any likelihood that you might want to leave one day then don't bother because Australia doesn't like moving money in the opposite direction.