Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do on your reccie?

What did you do on your reccie?

Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default What did you do on your reccie?

We are going on a reccie to Oz in Jan as we need to get our visas stamped.

We have 7 days in Sydney and 7 days in Melbourne as we haven't decided where we will be going to yet.

We want to make good use of our time there and was wondering what over people did on their reccie.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:58 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do on your reccie?

We Bought all the local papers, looked at houses, made job enquiries and read the yellow pages!!! We also decided that we couldn't go to QLD as the jobs just aren't there for our skills (OH is engineer)

Once we realised this, it turned into a bit of a holiday.... Trips on helicopters, hot air balloons, whale watching, Fraser Island and the Great Barrier reef!

So now we have to go on another reckie!!!

Ali and Jon x
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior

We have 7 days in Sydney and 7 days in Melbourne as we haven't decided where we will be going to yet.

We want to make good use of our time there and was wondering what over people did on their reccie.

Hi there - we're doing our validation trip in November - going to Perth, Tasmania and back to Perth again and will be away for 21 days.
We are planning on having a little bit of a holiday in Perth as for part of that stay we'll be with the OH's sister and her family - but we will also look at several suburbs incase we decide we like Perth more - with a view to rentals/buying and just where things are in general. As Tasmania seems to be our preferred location at the moment, we will be checking out work situation there for OH, he has already lined up seeing a couple of people, hopefully meeting a couple of people we've been chatting to from the Uk that are now living out there for their input/advice on the place, seeing as much of the suburbs near Hobart asap and if we can i'd like to pop into one of the local schools just to see what they're like - but i'll arrange those things prior to leaving in November....
I think our main aim is to see where out of the two places we feel most comfortable and can imagine ourselves living.
There was another thread put recently about a similar thing really - and a lot of people were commenting on the fact that they thought reccie's/validation trips were a waste of time and money. I personally disagree with this - and think that it's a case of doing whats right for yourself.... I couldnt move somewhere personally without at least having a glimpse of what life might be like there.....
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi there - we're doing our validation trip in November - going to Perth, Tasmania and back to Perth again and will be away for 21 days.
We are planning on having a little bit of a holiday in Perth as for part of that stay we'll be with the OH's sister and her family - but we will also look at several suburbs incase we decide we like Perth more - with a view to rentals/buying and just where things are in general. As Tasmania seems to be our preferred location at the moment, we will be checking out work situation there for OH, he has already lined up seeing a couple of people, hopefully meeting a couple of people we've been chatting to from the Uk that are now living out there for their input/advice on the place, seeing as much of the suburbs near Hobart asap and if we can i'd like to pop into one of the local schools just to see what they're like - but i'll arrange those things prior to leaving in November....
I think our main aim is to see where out of the two places we feel most comfortable and can imagine ourselves living.
There was another thread put recently about a similar thing really - and a lot of people were commenting on the fact that they thought reccie's/validation trips were a waste of time and money. I personally disagree with this - and think that it's a case of doing whats right for yourself.... I couldnt move somewhere personally without at least having a glimpse of what life might be like there.....
Too be honest we wasn't planning on the reccie, we were just going to go out there. But due to the chance of redundancy and pay off next year we have decided to wait around a bit longer, meaning we need to go and get the visas stamped.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What did you do on your reccie?

This is my reccie thread.

Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Thanks vash, that is one hell of a write up.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What did you do on your reccie?

Thanks vash, that is one hell of a write up.
Cheers.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

These are my reccie threads -

Brisbane - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Melbourne - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388

Enjoy!

Buzzy