Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do ?

What did you do ?

Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

matty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What did you do ?

Hi I am moving to Perth next year but still trying to decide what to do with my house.
The options are to sell up or rent it out and store my furniture somewhere not sure where yet until i decide to buy in Perth.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts or how anyone decided what option to take?

Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:18 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do ?

Originally Posted by matty
Hi I am moving to Perth next year but still trying to decide what to do with my house.
The options are to sell up or rent it out and store my furniture somewhere not sure where yet until i decide to buy in Perth.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts or how anyone decided what option to take?

Thanks

LOL

You may get more of an answer than you want!!!!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hi,

We've no choice but to sell. No other capital.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Thanks
We remortgaged then let it out.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

taylor1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we had the house on the market for a year, no luck selling so rented it out although would have preferred to sell it!!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:14 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

We remortgaged and let it out though an agent. We sold all of our furniture and we just shipped over personal belongings, computer etc... and our doggie!

We are now looking to buy here in Melly and are going to contine renting out my UK property as an investment and just start over again here with a new house......

laura
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:51 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Sold it. The capital was a factor but the main reason was to have a clean break and not give ourselves an easier get-out if things went a bit tricky out here so we would stick it out.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
We remortgaged and let it out though an agent. We sold all of our furniture and we just shipped over personal belongings, computer etc... and our doggie!

We are now looking to buy here in Melly and are going to contine renting out my UK property as an investment and just start over again here with a new house......

laura

I guess you remortgaged so you could free up some capital. What arrangment do you have with the letting agent and how much do they charge.
Also do you have your money from rental payed into a Uk account or is it tranfered into an Aussie account.

Will you continue to rent your uk property if you decide to buy in Oz?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a clear picture before I take the plunge .

Thanks

Matt.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

If and when we ever make the move, we will initially keep the house and let it out.
Just in case for whatever reason things didn't work out in Oz, at least we would be able to come back knowing we hadn't given everything up.
It would be stressful enough coming back without having to find somewhere to live.
Also, I think it would ease some of the pressure of moving to Oz as it would offer a kind of safety net.
I don't think it's being negative, just realistic. I don't think we would ever get back on the London property ladder if we sold up and then decided we wanted to come back.
Obviously if everything worked out then we would probably sell after a year or so.
I'd be keen to rent to start with in Oz anyway until we decided whereabouts we wanted to settle, so we shouldn't need the capital to buy.
Good luck in whatever you decide
Old Dec 16th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right to consider various options, as it seems the housing market has slowed in many area's of the coutry. I think most people would like to go soon after their visa is issued.
Good luck anyway
Old Dec 16th 2005, 10:03 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

what a good idea, i would be interested to know more about that option, ie. the charges, and where the money is paid etc. (i think another poster mentioned the same too) any advice you could give would be really appreciated, as our initial intentions were to simply sell up as we have quite a lot of equity in our house, and use the money to buy another in oz, but now it seems we could remortgate, and use the tenants rent as payment on the mortgate and still have money to buy another - is that correct or am i living in cloud cuckoo land??
regards
vb2

laura
Old Dec 16th 2005, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

laura

Thanks for the reply

As far as you personal belongings go how much did you take and how was that transported.
I am not planning on taking to much for starters but may have to take my tools and obviously the golf clubs.

Matt.