Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In what way ?
More than one employer during the year, concurrent jobs, self-employed, self-employed and employee concurrently, unusual deductions, foreign income, employer didn't bother to send the forms out etc etc.

If you're in Katherined0's (apparent) situation and you have already have something that accurately summarises your tax over the past FY, it can be very easy. If not, then not so easy, and suggesting that all that needs to be done is to copy down that info is well-meant but possibly unhelpful. That's all I'm saying - nothing controversial there.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

I retired a couple of years ago and I've had a little problem with the tax department since last October and one thing I have found out is that they have set up a new system. I don't know what this system is and if it covers the whole of the tax department but I do know it affects the superannuation section.

To cut a long story short they owed me money and it took five and a half months, lots of phone calls, two official complaints, two case officers and lots of e.mails to sort it out.

I got my money at the end of March minus a couple of hundred dollars tax withheld.

You would think that would be the end of it and all I have to do is lodge a return this year to get the tax withheld back. Oh no, within a month I received an overdue payment reminder and they don't only want the money they sent me they also want the tax they withheld. They gave me a bit over a week to pay and then recovery action could be taken.

I've already made a few phone calls and they can see what the problem is but no one has any idea how to reverse it.

With a bit of luck by the time it's all sorted I'll have enough to pay the phone bill.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't it the case that this is very easy to do...so long as your only source of income through the year was from one employer and your employer actually got their finger out to send you the form?
It is very easy like this, and it is better to do a return, even without claiming any rebates, than not do one at all.
More than one employer during the year, concurrent jobs, self-employed, self-employed and employee concurrently, unusual deductions, foreign income, employer didn't bother to send the forms out etc etc.

If you're in Katherined0's (apparent) situation and you have already have something that accurately summarises your tax over the past FY, it can be very easy. If not, then not so easy, and suggesting that all that needs to be done is to copy down that info is well-meant but possibly unhelpful. That's all I'm saying - nothing controversial there.
But I am only saying it is easy as above, claiming nothing, and with only one employer as per your example.

Other than that, as I have said before, it is best to get an accountant to do it first year, then after seeing how it is done, see if you feel able to do it yourself in future.

Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine has 'forgotten' to lodge his tax return for 14 years.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:11 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

But I am only saying it is easy as above, claiming nothing, and with only one employer as per your example.
No, you didn't, you said - ahh, forget it, no-one cares.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:08 am
ABCDiamond

Then why do people ask ?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:12 am
ABCDiamond

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't it the case that this is very easy to do...so long as your only source of income through the year was from one employer
I could swear I was agreeing with you, and not correcting you...

Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Changing the discussion slightly, having read through tax info on the government website, it looks like i'm eligible for the 'short tax return'.
Can I do this online? Or is it different from the etax thing? I know I can lodge it by phone, but would prefer to do it online if possible.

Also, does the fact that I have been in the country since late September 2009,and only been working since January 2010 complicate things? or does it just mean I am more likley to get a rebate as I haven't been working for the whole of the tax year?

Last edited by TandC23; Jun 21st 2010 at 3:58 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This probably

Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:22 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Just complete a Non-lodgment advice if your income isn't enough to pay tax, and you have no rebate due.

Cheers Eric!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:40 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I was a resident in Australia for a period of seven months (09-10) on a PR Visa; i earnt nothing during this time nor did i pay any tax during this time.

I have to fill out one of these forms and post it off to the ATO.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...6n25860610.pdf

What do i have to put into this box for the reason of not lodging a tax return?

Reason for not lodging a tax return

I will not have to lodge a tax return for 2010 or any future years because:.......................................... ................................?

Cheers Keith.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:02 pm
Banned

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, seen the other box to tick, problem solved.

But i want to lodge my Etax online, it asks for your notice of assessment, we not have one, any explanation?

We have never submitted a tax return in Australia, so have never recieved any kind of documents from the ATO other than the document outlining out TFN numbers?

Chheerrss

Keith

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Hi,

I was a resident in Australia for a period of seven months (09-10) on a PR Visa; i earnt nothing during this time nor did i pay any tax during this time.

I have to fill out one of these forms and post it off to the ATO.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...6n25860610.pdf

What do i have to put into this box for the reason of not lodging a tax return?

Reason for not lodging a tax return

I will not have to lodge a tax return for 2010 or any future years because:.......................................... ................................?

Cheers Keith.

Last edited by Keith Moon; Jun 30th 2010 at 8:12 pm.