Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Old May 26th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough
Question What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Hello,

Under Australian law most people are required to lodge tax returns with the Australian Tax Office between 30 June and 31 October each year.

Some people have told that you lodge tax returns with the intention that the government gives you money. So if I don't lodge my tax returns I won't receive that money, but I guess it won't be too much, in my case I have been living in Sydney for less than a year, I guess it is really unlikely that the government returns me $ 1.000 in tax returns.

But, it looks to be a complicated formality, all the persons I know hire an accountant for doing that formality, so I would like to ask what could happen if I don't do that ? Could I be fined ? ( or ... could I go to jail for "forgetting" to do that formality ? )

In my country when the financial year ends, most people take care of filling their tax declaration because that is the moment for "paying" tax, so you "pay" money to the government, and of course if you don't pay you are going to be blacklisted and no bank will give you a loan or credit card .

But, one is not going to be blacklisted if one doesn't "receive" money from the government, so there shouldn't be any problem if one doesn't fill the tax returns ? do you agree ?

thank you for any opinion,
Old May 26th 2010, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Originally Posted by lotr
Hello,

Under Australian law most people are required to lodge tax returns with the Australian Tax Office between 30 June and 31 October each year.

Some people have told that you lodge tax returns with the intention that the government gives you money. So if I don't lodge my tax returns I won't receive that money, but I guess it won't be too much, in my case I have been living in Sydney for less than a year, I guess it is really unlikely that the government returns me $ 1.000 in tax returns.

But, it looks to be a complicated formality, all the persons I know hire an accountant for doing that formality, so I would like to ask what could happen if I don't do that ? Could I be fined ? ( or ... could I go to jail for "forgetting" to do that formality ? )

In my country when the financial year ends, most people take care of filling their tax declaration because that is the moment for "paying" tax, so you "pay" money to the government, and of course if you don't pay you are going to be blacklisted and no bank will give you a loan or credit card .

But, one is not going to be blacklisted if one doesn't "receive" money from the government, so there shouldn't be any problem if one doesn't fill the tax returns ? do you agree ?

You have to fill in the tax return. Its an offence not to do so, and not everyone gets money back - many people end up with a bill. Its easy enough to do online yourself too, unless you have a really complicated financial situaton.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You have to fill in the tax return. Its an offence not to do so, and not everyone gets money back - many people end up with a bill. Its easy enough to do online yourself too, unless you have a really complicated financial situaton.
Agree with this. I do mine online myself every year and always get a decent amount back, friend who I work with get an accountant to do it, they get hardly anything back and have to pay the accountant.

Do it online, it's simple enough.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

You quoted "In my Country" but you are in a different one now, so by rights you should obey the laws of that country. if you don't want to go back to your Country.
Its quite simple
But just my opinion
Old May 26th 2010, 9:04 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

So if I don't lodge my tax returns I won't receive that money, but I guess it won't be too much, in my case I have been living in Sydney for less than a year, I guess it is really unlikely that the government returns me $ 1.000 in tax returns.
If you've been working for a partial financial year, you will probably have been taxed as if you were earning your monthly salary for the entire year, so will probably have an amount of overpayment due to you.

So do it.

But even if you didn't have an amount due to you, you would still have to do it. The taxman in any country isn't someone you want to mess with, they hold grudges

The online system isn't difficult - using an accountant would probably get you more money back on your return (or minimise how much you had to pay if that was the case) - but if you didn't want to use one, you should be able to follow the online prompts and help with no great difficulty.
Old May 26th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

If you are working for an employer who takes tax out of your earnings and you haven't worked for a full year you almost certainly will be due for a refund.

If you don't lodge a return and you are due for a refund then it's unlikely you will be fined for not lodging it. The tax office are happy to keep your money.

If you don't lodge a return and you owe money to the tax department then you are fined. I don't know what the fine is these days but it used to be 10% and the longer you leave it the higher the fine.

The tax department can be a tad slow but eventually they will catch up with you and you will have to lodge all outstanding returns.

Online is the simplest and easiest way to go.

The tax department works on a "self assessment" basis so you fill out the form and get the refund within a couple of weeks.

Every year the tax department chooses a few different types of workers to check up on. Lets just say one of those is carpenters. They check all carpenters tax returns against each other and if someones return has a lot higher claims than most of the others that person will be contacted and asked for proof of those expenses.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Also if you receive any benefits from centerlink (we receive family assistance), they will be stoped if you fail to put in a tax form within 12months of the due date.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to an accountant who will do your tax return for you and charge a minimal fee that you can claim against next year.

If you fail to file your going to end up with a penalty down the line somewhere and interest on anything you may of had to pay.

Just suck it up and do it. Its part of life - well death and taxes anyway.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi all

me and oh have only just applied for a tfn yesterday and may not even work before the new tax year kicks in

will we have to do a tax return for the time left or can it be rolled into next years one
Old May 26th 2010, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all

me and oh have only just applied for a tfn yesterday and may not even work before the new tax year kicks in

will we have to do a tax return for the time left or can it be rolled into next years one
If you don't work or receive centrelink payments there's no need to lodge a return.

If you do work and pay tax it cannot be rolled over to the next year.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markntracy
Also if you receive any benefits from centerlink (we receive family assistance), they will be stoped if you fail to put in a tax form within 12months of the due date.
I'll have to remember that one, it's a long time since I worked and back in them days there was no such thing as family assistance
Old May 26th 2010, 11:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

Easy one - go on line and download all the stuff for your ETAX - read the front blurb and it will tell you whether you need to file a tax return or not. Thee are a number of reasons why you do not need to. Even if anyone later decides to use an accountant the ETAX stuff from the ATO is great information and worth the download.

I file all my own returns and help out the family, I used a tax firm once but they gave me a student who I ended up telling how do to my calculations and when I asked for a senior tax accountant in the firm to look it over they said the onus was on me to sign and declare it all to be truthful (yes I know that) I just wanted decent advice. So the moral of that tail is as others have said if you want top of the range advice pay the money and get a decent accountant. Do not use these shonky High street Tax Consultants.

For straight forward PAYG ETAX returns are the way to go, or paper forms from the Post Office.

To the original poster - I declined for a year to enter a tax return because of travel and I knew the return would be a credit to myself (all be it $30 that year). Would I do it if I had owed any money - no chance the threat of fines is a pain in the butt and they can be steep. Remember this is country that fines you if you do not vote and I also know how they chase you up on that.
If you are PAYG file a return each year easy peasy sorted.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:49 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. You could be fined - but according to their own information, they generally only fine you if you owe them money and you have been warned. See here and other places on their website: http://ato.gov.au/individuals/conten...1/002&st=&cy=1

Go direct to the source and not second-hand internet rumour!
Old May 27th 2010, 5:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indeed

I have just had a bill for $3500
Old May 27th 2010, 6:41 am
ABCDiamond

hi all

Just complete a Non-lodgment advice if your income isn't enough to pay tax, and you have no rebate due.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.