Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by In Exile
prawns.
they're bigger too.
You have to be careful though...some of them are FOREIGN! I saw it on the telly.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You have to be careful though...some of them are FOREIGN! I saw it on the telly.
quick!!!!
stop the boats!!1!!one!!!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
phone contracts: not really, you have to pay upgfront fees for the good phones here too. Also UK Data is unlimited (within fair use) wheras AUD is still cap driven. The plans over there are also less confusing as they measure in the currency of talking, which is minutes, and not dollars. As a proportion of income, they are porbably very similar.

good steak: shiiiiiiiiiiit I should live where you live. Steak in Sydney is nowhere near 12 per kilo. try at least 20 \

and just to throw a spanner in the works, sporting events might be cheaper, but music gigs/theatre in Australia of semi big name acts is absolute robbery.

just balancing the scales, irrespective of what the thread title is
I havent found a cheaper UK plan for a IPhone Infinite (All calls and Texts) than Vodafone AU's 50 buck plan which comes with 500 mb data. I went looking because a Italian bloke at work has had his Italian raised 15yo daughter come to live with him and she said that Iphones were far cheaper here than Europe... Apparently it's almost unheard of for younger Teenagers in Italy to have Iphones.. I said the UK would be cheaper and whilst it is cheaper than Italy... It seems it's dearer in the UK for a Infinite Iphone (Or Samsung Galaxy 2) plan than here.

I Really would like to find a cheaper UK infinite plan... just to show the blokes at work cos right now I've got egg on my face. I really cannot find one.

BTW Expensive Butchers rump and Tbone steak around here would be 15 bucks a kilo, That would be top end prices... I can get those rib roasts for 15 bucks a Kilo. Lamb Loin chops are now 11 bucks a Kilo. I go to the Vietnamese Butchers in Coburg and his meat is always great... plus I love going in there and seeing their interaction with the very fussy meditteraneans... short and blunt from the Vietnamese... hilarious to watch.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 14th 2011 at 4:16 am.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I havent found a cheaper UK plan for a IPhone Infinite (All calls and Texts) than Vodafone AU's 50 buck plan which comes with 500 mb data. I went looking because a Italian bloke at work has had his Italian raised 15yo daughter come to live with him and she said that Iphones were far cheaper here than Europe... Apparently it's almost unheard of for younger Teenagers in Italy to have Iphones.. I said the UK would be cheaper and whilst it is cheaper than Italy... It seems it's dearer in the UK for a Infinite Iphone (Or Samsung Galaxy 2) plan than here.

I Really would like to find a cheaper UK infinite plan... just to show the blokes at work cos right now I've got egg on my face. I really cannot find one.

BTW Expensive Butchers rump and Tbone steak around here would be 15 bucks a kilo, That would be top end prices... I can get those rib roasts for 15 bucks a Kilo. Lamb Loin chops are now 11 bucks a Kilo. I go to the Vietnamese Butchers in Coburg and his meat is always great... plus I love going in there and seeing their interaction with the very fussy meditteraneans... short and blunt from the Vietnamese... hilarious to watch.
I recently bought nice (not the best but acceptable) bulk rump for $8.50/kg. We've also bought half a cow (sliced and diced) for about 6.00/kg for all cuts.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on we're up to quite a few things now

Mobile Phone plans... probably cheaper here... especially as you dont have to pay a upfront fee towards the handset. A lot of variables but probably nothing in it, mobile calls seem to be cheaper per minute in the UK and no silly flag fall..?...

Red Meat... Legs of Lamb @ 9 bucks a kilo and good steak at most decent butchers at around 12 bucks per Kilo We don't eat a lot of red meat, we prefer chicken but steak, even good steak is cheaper here.

New SE Asian Cars Some are, some aren't plus a much bigger choice in the UK and S/H are way cheaper in the UK.?.....

Public Transport ? Some is cheaper but if our area is anything to go by it is very limited by comparison.

Petrol and Utilities, Electricity should be 20 cents PKWH here with Gas averaging circa 1.65 cents per MJ My research shows no real difference in electricity and other utilities.

Admisson to Sporting events.Not necessarily

The list is starting to mount
The list seems to vary from person to person.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The list seems to vary from person to person.
Even the easy to run over 300 minutes with O2 Iphone plan is @ 32 Quid is dearer than Vodaphones AU infinity... Then there's Amaysims 40 buck BYO infinity plan with 4 gigs of Data.

I'm pretty disappointed with the UK's Mobile Plans... especially as I was giving them a big up at work here late last week.

Where are these cheaper UK meat prices ? Not on this URL http://www.wyatts-butchers.co.uk/prices.htm#beef

These prices from the Meat prices site that collates all over the UK seems to bear this out...

http://www.meat-prices.co.uk/national/England/

Blimey !! Even Smithfeilds prices are dearer than my Local Butcher for Chicken Breast. 7 bucks a kilo here.... 13 bucks for 2kgs..
http://www.meat-prices.co.uk/Smithfield/poultry

I think we're being bullshitted to here.

Now show me the cheaper Jap and Korean cars thanks....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 14th 2011 at 8:17 am.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I havent found a cheaper UK plan for a IPhone Infinite (All calls and Texts) than Vodafone AU's 50 buck plan which comes with 500 mb data. I went looking because a Italian bloke at work has had his Italian raised 15yo daughter come to live with him and she said that Iphones were far cheaper here than Europe..
LOL yeah, but Vodafone? Would you want to???
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what cheaper UK meat prices you are talking about I said it was cheaper here.
I cant say the mobile deals worry me that much, I only want a SIM only deal and they seem very good. The excellent phone/Broadband/TV deals more than make up for it as well.

Even the easy to run over 300 minutes with O2 Iphone plan is @ 32 Quid is dearer than Vodaphones AU infinity... Then there's Amaysims 40 buck BYO infinity plan with 4 gigs of Data.

I'm pretty disappointed with the UK's Mobile Plans... especially as I was giving them a big up at work here late last week.

Where are these cheaper UK meat prices ? Not on this URL http://www.wyatts-butchers.co.uk/prices.htm#beef

These prices from the Meat prices site that collates all over the UK seems to bear this out...

http://www.meat-prices.co.uk/national/England/

Blimey !! Even Smithfeilds prices are dearer than my Local Butcher for Chicken Breast. 7 bucks a kilo here.... 13 bucks for 2kgs..
http://www.meat-prices.co.uk/Smithfield/poultry

I think we're being bullshitted to here.

Now show me the cheaper Jap and Korean cars thanks....
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
Works alright in Melbourne..... Plus they are rolling out more infrastructure as they wind up the 3 network.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
(slight language warning)
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

whats cheaper in Australia-
Surfboards, board shorts,thongs, cameras, mobile phones, netbooks/ notebook, Nintendo wii/xbox, fuel, meat, parking, sporting events, power tools, moto engine you fit on your push bike, kayaks, fishing stuff, camping stuff, bud

and in the UK-
wetsuits, skateboards, trainers, musical instruments, clothing, food in general, eating out, cars, books/magazines/DVD`s/CD`s/video games
public transport, concerts, Diy/building/plumbing stuff, mountain bikes/ cycling stuff, sporting goods, beer, class A`s
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:54 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Works alright in Melbourne..... Plus they are rolling out more infrastructure as they wind up the 3 network.
I have a work supplied Vodafone 3G dongle and it's virtually useless in a lot of locations around Melbourne, but particularly around the CBD. I know other colleagues experience the same so don't think it's an isolated issue with my device. It shows signal strength but just tiny or no throughput of data...network congestion I suspect.

I've given up on it now and just use my iPhone (on 3) as a hotspot and it's many times better than the VF dongle.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oz miller man
whats cheaper in Australia- bud

and in the UK- class A`s
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I've been on Vodafone for 3 years here and it's been fine for me. Around Paddington in the dips it can be a bit weak and at certain times of the day data is slow. I assumed this was because of the number of smart/iPhones that were rolling out updates and swamping the network. I use the phone as a tethered modem for my internet and it's fine for that too. And it's dirt cheap, the $49 cap gives about 4 hours of calls to the UK.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone opened their car door and whacked my husbands car - no dents but they scraped the paint and left bright blue paint on it. We tried to get it off but it wouldnt come off so took it to a paint job place/car repair place and the guy managed to get the paint off, also touch up a previous scratch and one on the back on the other side with some white paint. He didnt even charge us.

My mechanic discovered I had a faulty rear light - something with the wiring and also the globe, he fixed that up as part of the service and didnt charge me any extra and this most recent service, changed my tyre for me as well - which fair enough is not a big job, but he could have charged me but didnt.

Some things are cheap/free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.