Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What car should I buy?

What car should I buy?

Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car should I buy?

Originally Posted by bridiej
Do they have those in Oz too?
What? children
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:58 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hevs
If drivers are intimidated by a 4WD then they shouldn't be driving in the first place
Nothing fundamentally wrong with a 4WD in itself, just the way some of them get driven.

"How do you drive yours?" (Sorry, a humorous allusion to a fairly recent UK ad campaign that will mean nothing over here!)
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:02 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hels
I have heard they are talking about banning bullbars in residential/metropolitan areas. I think they should bring that in as soon as possible....they are the real killers.
Very true and I agree!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:20 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Nothing fundamentally wrong with a 4WD in itself, just the way some of them get driven.

")
Yeah, but the same goes for nearly all vehicles surely. Hoons in v8's are pretty leathal. Coked up truck drivers on the nullabor, scary. Bloody motorbikes sneaking up on your inside on the monash on your way to the city :scared: White van drivers and couriers, same the world over surely? P platers showing off to their 18 year old girlfriend etc etc, the list is endless.

Its not the vehicle its the drivers and to say all 4 W drivers are intimidating is crap
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:21 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
How much money do you intend on spoending on a car, brand new or second hand???
Bloody hell Brian! Where did you get that picture???:scared:

And BTW..... Happy New Year to you & Tina..

Cheers.... John & Gillian....
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What, like dropping the children off at school in the next street?
em no, we use our other car for that, the 4x4 gets us onto the beach and in the bush at the weekend
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:57 am
Badge

I have never regretted buying a twin cab 4x4 ute - best veh in the world.
Buy a skanky one like mine and noone can acuse you of being a poser. Great for everything.

Badge

Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

"How do you drive yours?" (Sorry, a humorous allusion to a fairly recent UK ad campaign that will mean nothing over here!)
They are more likely to tip over and cause death in an accident. 4WD owners also have a habit of reversing over their kiddies because they cannot see them playing behind the vehicle. The Bull bars do not absorb the energy of an impact which makes them more dangerous for the driver and the car they collide with. IMO 4WDs should be taxed to the extent of the extra damage they cause and make the owners take lessons. 4WDs are necesary outback which is where most of the drivers wish they were. Problem is they are driving around suburbia. How do we fairly treat those that need 4WDs and hold back the selfish burbanites?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:59 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by bondipom
The Bull bars do not absorb the energy of an impact which makes them more dangerous for the driver and the car they collide with.
The particular problem with bull bars is when the car hits a pedestrian. There's a much higher pedestrian fatality rate in such cases compared to those without bull bars. At least that's what the fuss in the UK was about, as I recall. I don't think anything came of it, though, alas.
How do we fairly treat those that need 4WDs and hold back the selfish burbanites?
Easy, differential taxation.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
They are more likely to tip over and cause death in an accident. 4WD owners also have a habit of reversing over their kiddies because they cannot see them playing behind the vehicle. The Bull bars do not absorb the energy of an impact which makes them more dangerous for the driver and the car they collide with. IMO 4WDs should be taxed to the extent of the extra damage they cause and make the owners take lessons. 4WDs are necesary outback which is where most of the drivers wish they were. Problem is they are driving around suburbia. How do we fairly treat those that need 4WDs and hold back the selfish burbanites?
Interesting subject

Originally Posted by Australian Transport Safety Bureau
In 1990 4WDs made up 12 per cent of all new car sales and by 1998 this had increased to 17 per cent.
The proportion of 4WD crashes involving pedestrians (11 per cent) was almost half the proportion of passenger car crashes involving pedestrians (20 per cent).
A higher proportion of passenger car crashes occurred in lower, urban speed zones (60km/h or under) compared with 4WD crashes (36 per cent and 25 per cent respectively).
Even though 4WDs are becoming more popular on urban roads, the majority of 4WD crashes occur on rural roads.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data suggest that the increase in fatal 4WD crashes may be due to an increase in 4WD activity, rather than to any decrease in vehicle safety.
All from http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph11/index.cfm if you are interested

Maybe there should be a different licence for 4WD drivers. If you read the link there are more crashes involving small trucks and bikes than 4WD. I don't think extra taxes will help as 4WD cost more and additional tax will simply add to the status.
IMO (we are all allowed one), I drive several KMs every day and it is more non-4WD cars, utes and vans I see breaking the speed limits and darting in and out of lanes whilst the 4WDs tend to hold steady on the speed limit (ish) and smaller vehicles desperate to see round them do dangerous manoveures to do so until they get stuck behing another car that they are happier to be behind. They tend not to drive so erratically when a truck or coach etc. is in front of them. Why is that? I don't understand. Just observe!

Andrew
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:20 am
Class 2 Guru

Oooh lots of lovely statistics to mis-interpret... maybe the lower rate of accidents involving 4WDs is simply because there are fewer of them around. Or maybe not.

Maybe the better all-round vision in a taller vehicle leads to a greater sense of security and thus a calmer driving style? This may depend on the traffic conditions, of course.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:24 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

The particular problem with bull bars is when the car hits a pedestrian. There's a much higher pedestrian fatality rate in such cases compared to those without bull bars. At least that's what the fuss in the UK was about, as I recall. I don't think anything came of it, though, alas.Easy, differential taxation.
peope already pay more tax in general for a 4x4 because they tend to be more expensive than sedans and other models, it's called stamp duty.

Bull bars I disagree with in suburbia but necassary in the country
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrew63
Interesting subject

All from http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph11/index.cfm if you are interested

Maybe there should be a different licence for 4WD drivers. If you read the link there are more crashes involving small trucks and bikes than 4WD. I don't think extra taxes will help as 4WD cost more and additional tax will simply add to the status.
IMO (we are all allowed one), I drive several KMs every day and it is more non-4WD cars, utes and vans I see breaking the speed limits and darting in and out of lanes whilst the 4WDs tend to hold steady on the speed limit (ish) and smaller vehicles desperate to see round them do dangerous manoveures to do so until they get stuck behing another car that they are happier to be behind. They tend not to drive so erratically when a truck or coach etc. is in front of them. Why is that? I don't understand. Just observe!

Andrew
There are punishments for anyone who speeds. Motorcyclists have to take extra tests to ride. Motorcyclists tend to kill themselves whereas 4wds tend to kill others. My observations are that 4wders are just as aggressive as anyonelse. What percentage of them need the 4wd capability?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we also include AWD in the 4WD catagory??

Or is it just the vehicles above a certain height we are concerned about?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:09 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by Hels
Do we also include AWD in the 4WD catagory??

Or is it just the vehicles above a certain height we are concerned about?
We do seem to be blurring the boundaries and throwing the term 4WD around rather loosely. Personally I don't see that it matters how many wheels it's got or are connected to the engine, it's the driving and the damaging-innocent-bystanders-capability that are the important things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.