Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What cant we get here?

What cant we get here?

Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: What cant we get here?

A decent haircut
Quality business suit, shirts and shoes

Marks and Spencer would go down really well here. They have outlets in Singapore and Indonesia.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:24 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Lol, I agree 100%! And don't get me started on the lack of toddlers trainers!! I miss going into a sports shop and EASILY picking a new pair of trainers - you go in, look at the 5 pairs of half decent trainers and then leave with nothing!
My husband has taken to buying Shox off of ebay!
I tend to use this site to search for decent gear

http://www.thecasualsdirectory.com/
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
A decent haircut
Quality business suit, shirts and shoes

Marks and Spencer would go down really well here. They have outlets in Singapore and Indonesia.
free delivery from UK to Australia at the moment on their website.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Dont you find Huggies do a good job? I always used Pampers during the day and Huggies at night, only because Pampers seemed slightly less bulky. When we got here i just stuck to Huggies.
I always found that Huggies leak with both my boys best I have found here are Woolworths Select but they do seem to lead to a sore bum more often than Pampers ever did.

Pampers wipes are the only wipes I have found that when you pull one out the whole packet doesn't come out too!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kevncarlz
Can you get Cow and gate baby milk in Oz?
never seen it.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

everything basically they are so far behind here its unbelievable
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Where I was from it was the council estate that had the Lacoste shoes and the fitness freaks that had the asics.

I miss gravy that doesn't contain 50% of salt. The kids won't eat anything with gravy on as it is too salty.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:41 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
I tend to use this site to search for decent gear

http://www.thecasualsdirectory.com/
Can you suggest where I would find trousers (pants) like this:
  • light colour, (“off white” / “sand”),
  • colour fast, stain resistant,
  • hidden elastic “comfort” waist (not a gather),
  • polyester & cotton blend (not 100% cotton, not 100% polyester, no “elastine”, no “Teflon”, just plain “poly-cotton”),
  • 2/1 or preferably 3/1 twill, technical face side on outside of garment,
  • 102 to 107 cm waist, 78 cm in-leg, 108 cm out-leg,
  • 2 left front & 2 right front pleats,
  • 2 side pockets of strong material, (back pockets and fob optional, no other pockets)
  • Non-metal zip, hook and button waist fasteners,
  • 7 belt loops 4 – 5 cm
  • inner waist lining,
  • overlocked and double stitched seams,
  • non-shrink stitching,

Used to be available in Aus but no more. Available in the UK?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good quality womens clothing.
In fact, good quality most things. You really have to shop around...
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:06 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Good quality womens clothing.
In fact, good quality most things. You really have to shop around...
The Aus textile, clothing and footwear industries have almost entirely vanished due, I think, to greatly cheaper goods from cheaper countries, most recently China, undermining the consumer's perception of value. Consumers won't pay enough to make local producers profitable.

The real problem now is not that the Chinese etc suppliers are not capable of producing higher quality products but that local vendors, lacking manufacturing knowledge, fail to conect product functionality to marketability, instead concentrate exclusively on profit margins. The customer does not count.

This has driven increasing casualization of "fashions" which adds to the downward pressure on the quality sector.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by perksy
Give me a pair of decent imported Lacoste anyday of the week.
Lacoste? Only the scallies wear them.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Mrsyorkie1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, there are things you can get and things you can't. Should the whole experience be to embrace the new country rather than pine for what you can't get in the old? being immigrants, are we not going to be spoilt for choice because of what we've had, but now what we cannot get?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't get decent TV.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deancm
You can't get decent TV.
Walkers Crisps, Quavers but I have a lovely mum that sends them to me. Processed Peas (but I buy these in Coles at 5 times the price!) OH misses Pork Pie and Mushy Peas and have to agree that we have not yet found a nice indian.

I buy the jam donuts from Safeway, they are not up to Greggs standards but very nice anyway.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:41 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Lacoste? Only the scallies wear them.
Only the scallies wear snide ones....big difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.