Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What can we do whilst visiting?

What can we do whilst visiting?

Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Neil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really nice
Default What can we do whilst visiting?

We are visiting Sydney in mid January to validate our visas - We will return permanently about a month later (long story-no way round it now)
Are there things we should do while we are there?

We've already opened a bank account and arranged for mobile phones - OR should we enjoy the holiday because it will soon be over??
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:03 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can we do whilst visiting?

Originally Posted by Neil&Jackie
We are visiting Sydney in mid January to validate our visas - We will return permanently about a month later (long story-no way round it now)

We've already opened a bank account and arranged for mobile phones - OR should we enjoy the holiday because it will soon be over??
be pommie tourists
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't already know which area you will be living in you could always have a look at that, that way when you arrive permanently it is one less thing to do. We only had a short time to try and find which area we liked and luckily we are somewhere that we really like but we could have felt pressured and ended up somewhere different, and with kids in tow did not want to uproot them again once we had found somewhere to live.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the same - came for a months holiday and then back for good 5 weeks later - just have fun and de-stress. It's mad time when you first coem for good - just enjoy the break.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:07 am
Just Joined

kamm1 is on a distinguished road

We've already opened a bank account and arranged for mobile phones
Just out of interest, how did you open a bank account? Over the net?

Mark
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Neil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really niceNeil&Jackie is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What can we do whilst visiting?

Hi Mark

On this forum there are various Bank mentioned that you can open an account over here and activate it on arrival in Australia - HSBC and the Commonwealth Bank being a couple mentioned.

Commonwealth Bank link is :http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/ - it is self explanatory - Doing it this way you get a better exchange rate as well.

Neil
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for that. I'll have a look at website you gave me and may even go into HSBC to see what they say.

Cheers.

M
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark

On this forum there are various Bank mentioned that you can open an account over here and activate it on arrival in Australia - HSBC and the Commonwealth Bank being a couple mentioned.

Commonwealth Bank link is :http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/ - it is self explanatory - Doing it this way you get a better exchange rate as well.

Neil
Were I to open a bank account again I would rather poke pins in my eyes than be ripped off by the Commonwealth. There are a lot better and can be opened there and then by walking into a branch.

Just my experience with the commonwealth. They were useful for about 1 week when we arrived and then promptly closed the account.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Were I to open a bank account again I would rather poke pins in my eyes than be ripped off by the Commonwealth. There are a lot better and can be opened there and then by walking into a branch.

Just my experience with the commonwealth. They were useful for about 1 week when we arrived and then promptly closed the account.
We can second this wholeheartedly - not for nothing is it also known as the Criminwealth Bank - only bank I've ever know that charges you just for walking past it. HSBC will let you open the account and transfer you money here in GBP while you wait for a favourable rate. Commonwealth were supposed to track our rate and change at a spot rate we decided but turned out that we were a few quid short of the 100k GDP which was the trigger amount so had to watch the markets ourselves which was a pain, then ring the UK to transfer. We are with HSBC now and wish to God we'd gone with them first.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by annqldau
HSBC will let you open the account and transfer you money here in GBP while you wait for a favourable rate. Commonwealth were supposed to track our rate and change at a spot rate we decided but turned out that we were a few quid short of the 100k GDP which was the trigger amount so had to watch the markets ourselves which was a pain, then ring the UK to transfer. We are with HSBC now and wish to God we'd gone with them first.
From what I gather from your statement is that you can open an Australian account with HSBC and then start to transfer money into that account at good exchange rates and start your austrailan credit rating before you take up fully residency! I suppose as a bit of a savings account.

Through HSBC, could I set up a australian savings account which gives good interest rate? What would a decent interest rate be?

You you need to have your PR visa before you can open an account?

Mark
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:07 pm

Not sure if they still do it - but if you open a UK HSBC account then that transfers to your Aus account - or something like that - wife is better at this stuff then me. We had to provided Commonwealth and HSBC in Brisbane with passports/visa etc - if you open HSBC in UK might not need to do this to get Aus account. Try their website www.hsbc.com.au - might have soomething on there
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by annqldau
Not sure if they still do it - but if you open a UK HSBC account then that transfers to your Aus account - or something like that - wife is better at this stuff then me. We had to provided Commonwealth and HSBC in Brisbane with passports/visa etc - if you open HSBC in UK might not need to do this to get Aus account. Try their website www.hsbc.com.au - might have soomething on there
I have had an HSBC account before they turned to HSBC and were the Midland Bank. Origionally, I was a Griffin Saver!!! Have still got one of the large blue Elephant 'piggy' banks!!

Thanks very much for your info.

M
Old Dec 29th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

We are looking to change banks, out of interest which one did you move to? I have been looking at the options and so far am tempted to go to Bank of Queensland.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mand8002
We are looking to change banks, out of interest which one did you move to? I have been looking at the options and so far am tempted to go to Bank of Queensland.
Is there an equivenlent australian equivanlent to www.moneysupermarket.co.uk?

Cheers.

m